Aussie World Expansion

DazzaM

Just a small update but a important one. Aussie World have confirmed to me that the new coaster is indeed a kiddie/junior model- however the manufacturer is still unknown. However you can bet that Pinfari is a fair guess. The other new attraction, the walk through in the Town Hall was coined by Aussie World as The Illusiorium( not sure if this is going to be the final name) but it does give clues as to what form this walk through will take. No set opening date as such but they will both be open in the remainder of the year- definitely before Xmas!! All in all this is shaping up to be a very good year for Aussie World!!!

Jobe: Any idea how successful the park has been and what recent additions have done to attendance?

After making some enquiries directly to Aussie World this is the response I received.

"I can't go into specifics but it's safe to say we've had continued growth over the past few years and we hope to continue this with further investment in the property"

I am not surprised by this response- I certainly didn't think that I would get any hard data, but the statement certainly makes sense when you dissect it. Since the introduction of Plunge and Redback the park has certainly gained a higher profile which has obviously translated into greater patronage. This greater patronage has lead to further investment in the form of the 3 new attractions about to open- The Ballroom Blitz, The Illusionarium and the new Junior Coaster. These are all signs of a healthy, growing business and one that is willing to invest in itself and grow. As AlexB said in another thread, I don't think they are quite ready to add an attraction like Abyss at Adventure World but if the business keeps growing as it is today, it certainly will not be very long before a major new attraction is installed at Aussie World. Lets not forget that this is a business that only a few years ago was planned to be sold and redeveloped as a Wet and Wild. What they have done in the intervening years to build a strong business model is very admirable.

I'm inclined to think they would have made a little money out of the wet n wild deal - VRTP would have paid the owners a fee to have the 'option' to buy, conditional on the approvals. Pretty sure the AW owners get to keep that fee if the deal falls through (which it did) so it might have made a nice little capital injection for them, for really not much effort.

(this is all speculation on my part - I have no insider knowledge of this arrangement).

I'd like to think of AW at the moment as a very very long freight train. At the start, the loco pulls against all the carriages without much effect, but now that they're starting to build up a little steam and a little momentum, it's just going to result in exponential growth. Maybe the Sunshine coast needs a few extra parks to compete with the gold coast?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Slick. Although the Wacky Worm is not the major coaster addition that we have all been hoping Aussie World would announce, this addition of the Wacky Worm will further broaden their appeal to families. I cannot see it anything but a success.

Thanks for the latest nearmap showing the stage of construction rac2703. The placement of the Waveswinger is interesting. As the pic shows, it is at the top of the small hill near the plunge. This height, plus its proximity to the apex of the plunge's first drop will certainly add to the thrill factor of the ride!! Great placement!!

Your right AlexB about the narrowness of the walkway. In its current state it certainly doesnt appear to be well serving for future expansion. However, there is certainly room for alternative access to the left of the Plunge and I am confident this is the path that would be taken if Aussie World decided to expand in this direction further.

Fingers crossed that the Illusionarium is a worthwhile addition as well!!

Well done Aussie World!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

its a shame thay were not in the position there in now 10 years ago maybe we whould have seen them save some of - something from wonderland and let it live on in australia not have gone to the scraper - overseas

maybe the model T fords - hms endeaver - pirates revenge - zodiac ?

they*

would*

Australia*

scrapper*

endeavour*

I don't really think AW has the room for Antique Autos - they do have the old go kart track down behind the giant slide though. Not sure what you mean by Pirate's Revenge - do you mean Bounty's Revenge???

AW strikes me as the first level of RCT - bouncy castle, giant slide, swings, simulator, tilt a whirl, kiddie coaster.... ok - maybe level 4 because of wild mouse... I don't think Bounty's would have gone down well - it's a large footprint and high thrill in a park where space is at a premium, and almost every ride is family friendly (can't think of any that aren't suitable for almost any age except toddler).

Even if they were in this position 10 years ago, I don't think any of the Wonderland rides (that were salvageable) would have suited the park in it's current growth level.

Both The Pinfari Wacky Worm and the new walkthrough attraction in the Town Hall building,the "Illusionarium", will be open in early 2015, according to Aussie World. Not sure what the hold up has been since the coaster has been constructed since at least October. Another 2 attractions will see Aussie World really start to round out as a very good family destination and a very viable alternative to the big Gold Coast parks.