Government handouts overload

I don't understand governments. You tell us to tighten up our budgets. Rates increase well over inflation. You give places like MovieWorld money when there profit is up 10.9% to put on carols. If times are tough and there is a need to raise rates, do we really need carols in every street and did anyone ask MovieWorld if they would still put the event on if the council did not put any money in. Dreamworld also received a payment not long ago from the QLD government.

You post doesn't provide nearly enough information for anyone to have an informed opinion. Care to provide link that explain:

1. How much Movie World is getting?

2. What are they providing for that money?

3. How this compares to what others would charge for something similar?

4. How much has historically been spent?

5. How many people attend community events?

6. How much of the rates rise went to Movie World?

7. If this is a change, what are the benefits/ drawbacks?

Are Movie World merely being compensated for losing the use of their car park for a specific night? Are Movie World being asked to host the whole event? Which of those options is more cost effective?

I'm not arguing with or against you, I'm just saying that this stuff isn't as black and white as it's made out to be, and over time I've become skeptical of people who complain about spending which must account for MAYBE 0.001% of the overall budget and act like it's crippling the country. Give me more information and I may or may not share your outrage.

I'm guessing he is referring to

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/what-your-suburb-will-get-a-break-down-of-how-councillors-plan-to-spend-their-700000-divisional-budgets/story-fnj94idh-1226959152949

Which outlines that $20,000 of Gold Coast City Councils budget for Community Events is for the 2014 Christmas Carols in MW Carpark.

What skeetafly neglects to mention, or is not aware of, is that movieworld makes no money from the carols. It is only the Carpark and adjacent land used and outside park hours. None of the $20k is paid to MW, it is paid to the various vendors, suppliers, performers, utilities, security etc. $20k is the running cost of the event. IMO opinion well spent considering the thousands of people that attend.

As for a government grant for DW. That was to develop the Aboriginal section of the wildlife area as another community/indigenous affairs program. It's an educational experienced now regularly visited by local schools and again IMO money well spent.

I wasn't having a go at Movie World. I'm more having a go at the council. I think I should of put this into chitchat. The real question for me is how many carols in the Gold Coast do we need. Across the road the local council is spending 250000 on lights for the local football club. In my thinking why not have the carols there if you have to have it. They could have players selling things to help with the lights. Movie world being a business would not be doing it unless they are getting something out of it. In relation to how much of the rate rise is going in would be very little but across all carols does add up. The main carols are held at the Gold Coast parklands. If movie world want to do there own carols for the coast then they should carry the cost. It's fine to say there costing 100000 and the council only paying a fith but if we don't need them in the first place then it's no advantage.

I'm guessing he is referring to

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/what-your-suburb-will-get-a-break-down-of-how-councillors-plan-to-spend-their-700000-divisional-budgets/story-fnj94idh-1226959152949

Which outlines that $20,000 of Gold Coast City Councils budget for Community Events is for the 2014 Christmas Carols in MW Carpark.

What skeetafly neglects to mention, or is not aware of, is that movieworld makes no money from the carols. It is only the Carpark and adjacent land used and outside park hours. None of the $20k is paid to MW, it is paid to the various vendors, suppliers, performers, utilities, security etc. $20k is the running cost of the event. IMO opinion well spent considering the thousands of people that attend.

As for a government grant for DW. That was to develop the Aboriginal section of the wildlife area as another community/indigenous affairs program. It's an educational experienced now regularly visited by local schools and again IMO money well spent.

When I first finished uni I worked for the government designing new schools. This was before it was qbuild and I don’t know what it is now. Your department worked on the system that you spent all the money you had and if you had money left over you would lend it to other departments of government so it showed on your books that you needed the same amount of funding next year. If you did not spend all your money it would be cut next year.

We would have schools ready to go even if we did not have the funding for it because you might get a call from another department wanting to get rid of some money.

That was a long time ago and would not know how it works now. I would be almost certain that each division would get a set amount each budget. That division would want to spend all the money they had so they would get the same amount next time around.

My main problem is why does every division have to do a carols and if they do would it not be better to get a community group to do it.

The money that went to Dreamworld is not the same as the carols because if I want to see it, then I have to pay up.

Edited by skeetafly

I wasn't having a go at Movie World. I'm more having a go at the council. I think I should of put this into chitchat. The real question for me is how many carols in the Gold Coast do we need. Across the road the local council is spending 250000 on lights for the local football club. In my thinking why not have the carols there if you have to have it. They could have players selling things to help with the lights. Movie world being a business would not be doing it unless they are getting something out of it. In relation to how much of the rate rise is going in would be very little but across all carols does add up. The main carols are held at the Gold Coast parklands. If movie world want to do there own carols for the coast then they should carry the cost. It's fine to say there costing 100000 and the council only paying a fith but if we don't need them in the first place then it's no advantage.

...Because across the road, they probably don't have anywhere near the number of parking spaces that Movie World has, and traffic management is a BIG part of any community event.

And whilst it is the aim of every commercial enterprise to make a profit - there are many instances of commercial entities doing something for free or at cost - and businesses DO do that - it's called 'goodwill'. In some cases, it can be even more valuable than money. It's been said already that it ISN'T movieworld putting the carols on - they're simply permitting use of their outer grounds after hours, and the money is going to suppliers and services, rather than any profit. Like a dry-hire for a hall.

My main problem is why does every division have to do a carols and if they do would it not be better to get a community group to do it.

The money that went to Dreamworld is not the same as the carols because if I want to see it, then I have to pay up.

Can you imagine the gridlock if there was one carol event in the gold coast, that everyone in the GCCC area went to? You wouldn't fit it all in - there is no room.

And just because you have to pay admission to see the aboriginal attraction - that isn't any different to any other cultural tourist attraction you need to pay for. Nobody works for free. By hosting it at dreamworld, it actually keeps the costs down because Dreamworld absorb costs of maintenance and upkeep. A standalone facility would cost much more.

(And no doubt, a tour group who JUST wants to see the aboriginal experience would probably get a nice group discount from the park as well)

Agree with comments AlexB just added as well.

We need to differentiate the Carols event from Movieworld. They do no run it the community carols, They run white Christmas, which the council do not contribute towards clearly (why would they?).

From my understanding movie world provide the Carpark and grounds, at no cost. They get a few free plugs on the night and bugs makes an appearance on stage with Santa. Call it goodwill, call it a contra deal for publicity.

I attended last year and it was a very enjoyable night. Good performers, carnival rides and food, displays from various event sponsors etc following by fireworks

It's not uncommon for the government to support theme parks or recreational venues. If the grant's there the company can apply for it, like The Maze did with Outback Splash.

http://3degree.ecu.edu.au/articles/5049

It does provide jobs for the community.

My question is: how does a government work out the value of land for the establishment of a new theme park, like Inspire WA's or Sydney's Wonderland? Most of the locations that Inspire WA was oiginally after are now fast developing into new subdivisions. Whilst most of that is housing, some will be for recreation and industry. How can you work out a fair price to buy or lease that?

I'm sure they're very complex deals, but you can understand a government's hesitation after the way some of our parks have been run in the past.