Action Park New Jersey- The Most Insane Theme Park Ever?

Jobe

I just recently watched this short documentary on Action Park, New Jersey. I must admit to being intrigued by the stories and the infamy that this park has garnered since it closed in the mid 90's.

I had certainly seen the pic below of the world first "true" Looping water slide but I was not aware of its torrid history or the fact that it was built for Action Park.

Forgive me if this has been posted before or mentioned, but I was not aware of its existence and I think it would be of great interest to theme park enthusiasts on this site-especially those with practical experience of working in one!!

Here is the YouTube link for you guys to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb1h2XqKsIY

It only goes for 14 minutes but it makes for very interesting viewing!!!

Enjoy!!

post-30-0-37753600-1404204403_thumb.jpg

It is - or rather it was. From the news article I read yesterday, it operated for about a month. Too many people were injured.

I'm quite curious over how they evacuated the slide in case of rollback. It doesn't look like there is a door in the valley. Perhaps they lowered a rope? lol.

Yeah - I used Rollback as everyone would know what I meant by it - but yeah it's probably not the right word Skeet.

Realistically - a rope winch with a rescue sling on it would have done the job... and you leave the water on to lubricate the surface... Getting stuck at the top would be a feat though.

Either that thing had pressure up the wazoo, or there was some sort of drain in the valley...

• 4 months later...

Just found this very interesting little You Tube snippet on Action Park. It shows 9 minutes of footage from advertisements from the 80's. Have a look at some of the insane things that people in this park were able to do. If this park was in existence today in this form, it would be a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Of particular interest at 8min:20 sec is the only known footage of the infamous Cannonball Loop slide- the world's first "looping" waterslide. The ride only opened for a month before being closed due to too many injuries, Here you can see the ride quickly in action. Urban myth was that they sent a dummy down to test it, and it came out with no head.......

This is ironic to find this footage now, especially with the recent test footage of the "new" looping waterslide in action.

I have also included the footage of the brand new looping water slide from Avalanche waterslides, This thing is also going to be a monster! However the ride is done in a capsule which is very different from the Cannonball Run at Action Park. This is only a test model at this stage but I am sure it will not be long before a US park installs one.

Anyway enjoy.I am sure this will produce some good reactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDHqfhyCbbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ex4oWtLTGY