Batman 75th Anniversary

lfrit4

As far as what movie franchise the park should use, I think given there working relationship with Merlin I think a Lego Movie ride is a gimmie, or maybe something San Andreas related since it's such a big movie being filmed here.

Didn't we discuss Lego a while back and decide since Merlin is expanding into Australia, they probably wouldn't want their biggest property in another park?

San Andreas on the other hand sounds like a winner.

Harry Potter is a Warner Bros. franchise, and that's at Universal! If MW was to get a terminator ride, alll they would have to do would be to get the license rights for the film, but that may be hard depending on the studio.

The MOVIE is WB, however the theme park rights are independent of the films, and they were sold independently to Universal.

What about matrix? Wasn't the first one filmed in Australia. It would be a good 3D dark ride, similar to the ones used in universal :)

Yes it would be a great ride, if you introduced it in the same decade as the films. These days, it's too dated for any particular relevance.

I just think everyone's just sick of the 'I know but I can't tell you' brigade. Honestly it's every 3rd poster these days. A good rule: if you know something but can't say, keep your mouth shut.

Amen... although theres a difference between:

"I know, but i can't tell you" and

"you'd have to be el loco not to figure it out"

When it comes to film licensing we also have to remember that the parks are owned by Village Roadshow - they are no longer in any part owned by Time Warner (Warner Bros.). Village roadshow simply has a liscencing agreement with Timer Warner to use the Warner Bros. Brand name in/for the park. So just because Warner owns the rights to something, it does not mean that it can be automatically put into the park.

Edited by rac2703

On the other hand, Merlin probably don't have the rights to the LEGO MOVIE, just LEGO. The characters from those movies and by extension, the world they inhabit, are probably up for grabs, and that's what I'm suggesting Movie Wprld should theme a ride to (or at least should investigate anyways). Also don't forget Village Roadshow is also a producer of the LEGO movie, so it's a hugely successful popular with all age groups Warner Village movie made in Australia. I stand by my opinion on its suitability for a Movie World attraction. And having it condensed to 15mins isn't going to cut it. A 15min sequel like Universal did with Shrek would do nicely though.

The other thing about adding a Matrix ride is that the movie is still known all this time later, and it'd be a stupidly easy theme to work with, particularly for a coaster. Think about it, you literally only have to theme the queue: Simply place it in the 'real world', have monitors talking about how nothing exists and you can do anything in the matrix. Introduce the idea that when you sit on this chair you'll enter the matrix and will experience things you never thought possible. Yeah that theme is so cheap and easy that it's perfect regardless of how old the film is, particularly a film that's still remembered.

I think a ride themed to a movie/TV show only works if it is an ongoing thing like the super heroes, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo etc.... otherwise it becomes irrelevant.

Even WWF looks silly with the Wild Wild West Movie stuff, even though it isn't actually themed to the movie.

The Matrix was what 15 -20 years ago now? so a large % of park visitors would probably not have seen it.

Vs a timeless thing like Lego (and there will no doubt be more movies made) I think a Matrix theme just doesn't make sense.

My only concern with Lego is a good ride would like probably be expensive and a cheap ride would be shit, no need to be careful.

I'm still keen for another generic movie themed non franchise attraction to be the next big thing.

And yes, people want info, but the "oh I've found this out but can't tell" thing gets old.

And just so you know, if you do work there, anything told to you at work is still off limits for disclosure even 'if you just heard it.'

I think a ride themed to a movie/TV show only works if it is an ongoing thing like the super heroes, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo etc.... otherwise it becomes irrelevant.

Even WWF looks silly with the Wild Wild West Movie stuff, even though it isn't actually themed to the movie.

The Matrix was what 15 -20 years ago now? so a large % of park visitors would probably not have seen it.

Vs a timeless thing like Lego (and there will no doubt be more movies made) I think a Matrix theme just doesn't make sense.

It doesn't really have to be ongoing. As long as it's engrained in Pop Culture, then generally it works.

Take Twilight Zone Tower of Terror over at Disney for example. The series has been finished since 1964, however, because it has become a part of pop culture, the franchise works.

Scooby Doo's Spooky Coaster is 50/50. The actual cartoon is a part of pop culture, however the film the ride is based on isn't. If the ride was re-themed to the classic cartoon, then it would work better than the film.

I'm not to sure about the Matrix. It hasn't gone down the path of films such as Jurassic Park, where a lot of people (even today) have seen it. Making an attraction based on it would be quite risky.

I disagree that Scooby Doo's Spooky Coaster would work "better" if it was re-themed to the animated series, what would you do to achieve this?

I do feel that they could have rides based on a generic movie theme. Like Wild West Falls, it is not in reference to any particular movie, but pays homage to the western genre of films.

I disagree with Twilight Zone.

I've never seen it or anything associated with it other than the TOT pre-show, and I agree that it is 'in pop culture' however if you pretend for a moment that the movie TV show any reference to twilight zone prior to the ride never existed - and the ride arose with that storyline on it's own - nobody would question it, everyone would understand it, and the whole ride would be quite successful in it's own right, without any related tie-ins.

Pointing to a disney attraction as a reason why a tenuously linked theme from an outdated era still works in today's modern culture is like pointing to an XY GT that still runs as a reason why a Daewoo Lanos should last you another 25 years... neither are built to the same exacting and everlasting standards

I disagree with Twilight Zone.

I've never seen it or anything associated with it other than the TOT pre-show, and I agree that it is 'in pop culture' however if you pretend for a moment that the movie TV show any reference to twilight zone prior to the ride never existed - and the ride arose with that storyline on it's own - nobody would question it, everyone would understand it, and the whole ride would be quite successful in it's own right, without any related tie-ins.

Pointing to a disney attraction as a reason why a tenuously linked theme from an outdated era still works in today's modern culture is like pointing to an XY GT that still runs as a reason why a Daewoo Lanos should last you another 25 years... neither are built to the same exacting and everlasting standards

I understand where you coming from. I just know a lot of people (young & old) who know the Twilight Zone franchise, and I just thought that it might have been a good example, but I can now see that it is not.

Saying that, What would be a franchise or two that MW could use that wouldn't date quickly, while still being relevant?

Mystic Manor (and it's older cousins - the Haunted Mansions) are pure fantasy invented by imagineers...

With stories so amazing, they even made a movie out of it.

Pirates of the Carribbean... was a ride for many years before Jack Sparrow appeared.

These are all long-standing, e-ticket attractions in a park known for it's film-making expertise that had absolutely no movie-tie-in, which based on it's popularity eventually became one.

Now - i'm not suggesting HWSD will some day become a movie. That's got as much chance of happening as Dreamworld does of installing a decent capacity thrill ride that actually qualifies for that description... but Bermuda Triangle is a great example of what some inventive people can do with a ride system and a little bit of money. In fact - BT is probably the closest we'll ever get to a ride that could have been turned into a movie...

So maybe what MW needs to do is to get Sanderson involved, look at a ride system, work out where its going to go and what space they have to work with, and then give Sanderson the same amount of money they give the ride manufacturer and say 'go forth and theme'... and I reckon we'd get one kick ass ride.

• 2 weeks later...