Sea World's Sea Viper closes after 32 years

Parkz News

To be fair Turbo Mountain was installed from 1991 to 2009 - 18 years in total. That represents pretty good value for a ride that was already considered old when it was installed in '91. Schwarzkopf's god bless them!!!

Good point. I'd forgotten how long the ride had been around for - I was thinking more along the lines of the trouble they had getting parts for it in the later years. It was great fun to ride. Even though it wasn't a wild mouse, it certainly gave The Royal Show's roller coasters, such as Python Loop (not a Wild Mouse), The Wild Mouse and The Chipmunk a ride for their money. The Wild Mouse, of course, is still running at Aussie World and apparently the Chipmunk that used to tour Australia only just retired last year - now that's a long time!

http://www.australianamusementfanatics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3503

Good point. I'd forgotten how long the ride had been around for - I was thinking more along the lines of the trouble they had getting parts for it in the later years. It was great fun to ride. Even though it wasn't a wild mouse, it certainly gave The Royal Show's roller coasters, such as Python Loop (not a Wild Mouse), The Wild Mouse and The Chipmunk a ride for their money. The Wild Mouse, of course, is still running at Aussie World and apparently the Chipmunk that used to tour Australia only just retired last year - now that's a long time!

Yeah its a regret of mine that I never,ever got to ride it- neither when it was at Luna Park Sydney where it was known as Geronimo or when it was at Adventure World. The closest I got to riding it was watching my father ride it in 1983 not long after LPS had reopened after the Ghost Train tragedy. ( I was very young) . Shame.

However I certainly do remember the Chipmunk travelling coaster with a great degree of fondness! Loved that ride and the space age looking cars- it was brilliant!!! I used to ride this every year without fail when it came to the local show. It must have travelled the East Coast of Australia for over a decade. It always felt so out of control- its a pity it went stateside. I had heard about its fate- it finally went the way of the scrapyard. It was manufactured by Miler Manufacturing, a little known coaster company in the US. Great times and memories!

As far as the Python Loop is concerned , I have never ridden it. I know that it is a Pinfari model but it usually sticks the Western and Southern Australia- to my knowledge it has never travelled the East coast before. I would like to ride it for the credit but to be honest it does not look like it is anything special.

Edited by Jobe

I'm not sure if it is the same Python Loop but I do remember riding one at Darling Harbour when I was about 10, so somewhere around 1995. The had a little sideshow area set up next to where Sega World used to be before they built all the shops and restaurants. I remember because my dad asked if I really needed to ride it because we were going to Wonderland the next day for my birthday.

On the whole on topic thing I have some very fond memories of the Corkscrew (It will always be the Corkscrew tome not this Sea Viper crap). It was the first looping coaster I ever went on way way back in about 1994. I remember being absolutely terrified of going upside down until my step dad literally dragged me onto it, I think he only slightly regrets opening that Pandora's Box now!!!

Edited by DJKostya