Justice League 3D - a big flop?

westical

So I headed to Movie World today in stunning weather to collect my annual pass and get a few rides in with short queues. As expected Superman, AA and GL were operating sporadically, and most guests seemed to be huddled under the roof near the big screen which doesn't seem to be the best way to spend the $89.99 entry price (bloody hell, how long has it been that much...).

Perfect day for indoor rides, Scooby had about a 10-15 minute wait, figured something similar would be awaiting me at JL3D -

No queue. No one near the entrance. No one exiting. Three bored employees.

Potentially the most technologically advanced ride in Australia with repeat ride value like Toy Story Midway Mania, yet no one seems to care for it. This isn't just a once-off either, I've been on the ride before during busier times and there's been no queue.

So what's wrong with it? I'm sure it's shown on the map, but the in-park signage is atrocious. The old BATR2/Batwing sign is still standing but now blank. The ride entrance is a dead corner, but it's not alone in that regard. Does the ride just suck?

Some other observations -

• Didn't take my camera because of the rain, but at the LTRR (RIP) site I could see a lit-up Green Lantern logo, an Arkham Asylum sign and Scooby sign. Attached to the roof facing the rear of the park (ie. Wild West Falls) were Entrance and Exit signs. Not sure if any of this is new...
  • Most of the effects on Superman were busted. Lockers didn't move much, no water, no lights on the cop car, no dodgy projection.
  • Scooby only just reopened but some lights and lasers were still broken. At least the blades swung.
  • New Batman shop is nice but merchandise is the same as other stores.
  • That surely can't be Michael Caine's voice in the Journey 2 narrative...

• Forgot to mention, few things were broken on JL3D too - the fog screen was blank and the door Green Latern opens was stuck open.

For me the scenes just aren't immersive enough. It's brilliantly themed and has so much potential but there are periods of nothingness or notmuchness. I know keeping it family friendly is a delicate balance but the final scene has to be the most underwhelming thing ever - a heatlamp and some air. If the atmospherics matched the chaos it'd be cool... Louder music and effects, more bass, wind, co2

Yeah the ending is definitely a let down. I've been on it multiple times and every single time I'm expecting another scene or something...

I don't think it's a flop as such but the batwing spaceshot and green lantern kind of hide the fact there's a ride there which I like because it means I spend less time waiting in line.

I just don't think the ride got the marketing it needed when it opened, and it was also targeted wrong, and now it's not the new kid on the block so it doesn't have marketing.

The ride itself is really solid, shame to hear some things weren't working but unfortunately that's going to happen with that type of ride.

oh and

$89.99 entry price (bloody hell, how long has it been that much...).

Hardly a factor when you consider for $10 you can go to every park and as much as you like. Very few day passes actually sold.

It's not a bad ride but it's not that great. It would be good if you could win prizes for high scores. I preferred the Batman Adventure ride.

x2.

I think it is a really well made ride and you want it be great but it just never seems to be more than just good.

I suppose at the end of the day it is really just a fancy laser tag but I do like it for the point of difference it brings.

I enjoy JLAI, but have to agree that the finale is somewhat lacking. I personally preferred BATR2 but the crowds were much less than the "low" crowds JLAI has received. I would note it is true that it is generally a walk on on off peak days it does get a fair que on busy days.

Personally I would have liked to see a new DC simulator ride. I have no internal knowledge but it would not surprise me if the ultimate reason behind BATR's closure was maintenance/running costs were getting unsustainable. It opened in 1992 and by 2011 the simulators probably needed substantial work.

I do prefer it to the Dreamworld lazer tag. It's more of a ride for gamers. Not a family ride as they don't allow small children for some reason even though it only goes 5km/hr.

I disagree, AVPX and Zombie Evilution have much more repeatability in my opinion. A ride on JLIA never changes (other than how you act and the score you achieve) . Every game of Laser Skirmish is different.

No, absolutely but I can't think of another ride aiming a slightly older kids and above market that doesn't have a single thrill about it.

The Flumes, Road Runner, Escape from Madegascar, WWF etc all have something.

JL is a very different ride but perhaps the sentiments being expressed about the something missing is that we are conditioned to look for a thrill.

It's just had poor marketing and fuck all in-park advertising that people just don't always know it's there unless they specifically go looking for it.

It would be the easiest thing for MW to fix. Just spend a couple of thousand on in-park signage.

The ride itself is good fun and it's a nice change from standing in hour long lines for a <2min ride.

Edited by reanimated35

No, absolutely but I can't think of another ride aiming a slightly older kids and above market that doesn't have a single thrill about it.

JL is a very different ride but perhaps the sentiments being expressed about the something missing is that we are conditioned to look for a thrill.

The missing link is definitely the target audience. Look at MW site. It's targeted as a thrill ride when it should be classed as something for the family.

I also agree about in-park signage. I know some people who have been and didn't even know the ride existed.

Taking out the 'Ride' part of the old Batman Adventure ride (particularly in it's earlier years when it was still done really well), I absolutely loved all the 'theatre' of the experience - the host taking the book out of the bookcase and opening the door, going in and seeing the Batman animatronic, etc, none of which is thrilling as described above. The simulator ride itself was fun, but it was more the experience I kept going back for, not the ride part. On one day alone I went on the thing 6 times straight, in the whole life of the ride, I would have gone on it many, many times.

There's not really anything in JL that makes me want to keep going back.