Traveling fairs!

Tim Dasco

Our troupe took a sabbatical this year - too many of our riders are international champions, and there were just too many international championships being held this year for them to say no. One of them has been in Europe for a solid 3 months, just travelling from tournament to tournament. 

I think after these travels, many of them will have some new ideas to bring back for next year though... and in the meantime, it's been good having a year off for some quiet time...

From what I understand, the reason that the list is so lacking this year is that much of the ground in Sideshow alley has been taken up. I'n no Brisbane local, but from what AlexB said, this is most likely for the new showbag pavilion, meaning that many of the larger rides couldn't be accommodated for. The ride operators have known this for a while, as the meeting was held for the Ekka's Sideshow Alley during the Sydney Show.

2 hours ago, red dragin said:

Link to the map here. No idea how that compares to last year. 

https://www.ekka.com.au/media/3092/ekka0607-ekka-media-kit-map-2018.pdf

To compare: 

This is the map from 2017 - there is a bucketload of more space where the new pavilion is. That area alone was filled with the XXL, Cliffhanger, Speed 2, Extreme, Spook, amongst many stalls. Now, we have lost a majority of those rides, and the rest have all been crammed in towards the Animals.

EKKA-MAP-WEB-JPEG-02.jpg

Edited by Flynn_Smith

Yep, looks like about 1/2 of sideshow alley has now been taken up by the woodchop pavilion. Great move RNA, one step closer to killing off the EKKA. It's sad when a regional show like Cairns has a better sideshow lineup than what is meant to be the major show for the whole state. No wonder so many ride operators over the years have bailed, including one of Australia's major operators (Bells) who haven't been back to the RNA since I think 2009. May as well knock the whole RNA showgrounds down and put more apartments in and have the show elsewhere if they are going to keep going the way they do.

On 18/07/2018 at 11:12 PM, Spotty said:

I really hope that's not the full ride list, It's missing major rides like Space Roller, XXXL and a few others... I'll be very disappointed if that is the finalised lineup. By far the worst ride list for a capital show.

I contacted Goldenway amusements and they said that they are not bringing XXXL because they don't have enough space

• Like 3

On 22/07/2018 at 7:22 PM, Luke Costello said:

I contacted Goldenway amusements and they said that they are not bringing XXXL because they don't have enough space

Heard the same thing from multiple operators, appears the Woodchop arena is taking up a significant area of sideshow alley (near bowen bridge road / RBH). Talk about a lacklustre show...

On 19/07/2018 at 12:40 AM, Tim Dasco said:

I think it also comes down to showmen not making much money these days. So many rides for sale at the moment. Like Sky Walker, Ranger, Space Roller, Nitro and Avengers.

I wonder why these rides are up for sale, while its likely the operators aren't making a profit anymore I am surprised a ride as new as Avenger (debuted in 2015 I think ) would go up for sale, I am upset that Skywalker is going up for sale as it is a favourite of mine but hopefully it will find new owners in Australia

Its funny to read all these comments given the rides are a side note of what the show is actually for/about. 

I hardly think they are killing the show by giving more space to woodchop which is a major part of the actual purpose for the show. 

• Like 3

Have to say that’s my thoughts too. 

If I was looking for rides I’d just go down the road to MW and DW, better rides and don’t cost a fortune. 

A show imo is for the show experience which is show events, exhibitions, games, showbags etc, rides play a minor role in that, but I have no issue with other show elements expanding at the expense of more rides 

• Like 1

If you want your yearly carnival rides fix, a few showman are putting on a Supershow in the Brisbane area. Should be cheaper entry than the EKKA and Space Roller has already been confirmed as going. Unsure on dates or the exact line up, but might be interesting for those who aren't too keen on attending the EKKA.

31 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

If you want your yearly carnival rides fix, a few showman are putting on a Supershow in the Brisbane area. Should be cheaper entry than the EKKA and Space Roller has already been confirmed as going. Unsure on dates or the exact line up, but might be interesting for those who aren't too keen on attending the EKKA.

really that sounds amazing. Do you know where I could find the details ?

As far as I'm aware, the details haven't been announced yet, but the Australian Amusement Fanatics Facebook Page has a little bit on info, with Russel Watkins (owner of the Space Roller) confirming the appearance of Space Roller at the event. I'll update the site with info as it becomes available. 

6 minutes ago, Luke Costello said:

does anyone know why two different amusement companies have the exact same rides for hire ?

like Jubilee and all fun amusements have some of the same rides for hire 

http://jubileeentertainment.com.au/miami-trip-ride-for-hire-brisbane.html

http://allfunamusements.com.au/party-machine.html

Looks to be the same company - just different names for each state. One is Melbourne, the other is Brisbane. If you look at the website, they are identical in layout - just different colours.

• Like 1