Would Australian theme parks ever be likely for a terrorist attack?

kujotess

Say what you want about our woeful political leaders, but by and large our military and our police forces do some truly exceptional work (when they're not handing out explosives at airports or following political agendas like the bikie laws here in Queensland.)

In that regard, I'd rather not even talk about it. The last thing I'd want is for a park to read this, get spooked by the meare talk of this kinda crap and then have to resort to bag searches for all guests and prohibit certain slogans on clothing like six flags did/do.

Nope. All of this "high alert" terrorism stuff is just politics to make the government look like they're doing something to an essentially non-existent threat in Australia.

Whilst i'd like to believe that a theme park would not be a high risk target here or overseas, I think you are living in a bubble if you honestly believe there is a non-existent threat to Australia. That or living in a state of denial. Why raise it now then? I have no doubt with the G20 in Brisbane later in the year our nation is at risk.

In roughly the right order of what would cause the most damage/drama

>Airport

>Famous landmark

>AFL Grand Final

>NRL Grand Final

>Major cricket game

>Motor racing event

>AFL club game

>NRL club game

>Cricket club game

>Theme park

>Shopping centre

Damn airports and famous landmarks.

Always causing the most damage/drama.

A theme park has a very slim chance of a terrorist attack. Nothing like that has even happened in the States.

So your rationale is because it hasn't happened in America, it won't happen? Commercial airliners hadn't been used as missiles before 9/11 either.

i dunno asshole abbot has pissed off islam pretty bad lately saying their not a state!

I hate Abbott, but talk about not understanding what he said. Firstly, Islam isn't a state, but that's not what he was referring to. He was referring to the Islamic State extremist group that is currently doing the beheading of journalists and killing non-Islamic people amongst many other things. They call them self Islamic State, and Abbott was commenting that we should be calling them 'state' as that gives them a air of hierarchy or importance or representation just by nature of the word State.

In that regard, I'd rather not even talk about it. The last thing I'd want is for a park to read this, get spooked by the mere talk of this kinda crap and then have to resort to bag searches for all guests and prohibit certain slogans on clothing like six flags did/do.

I agree, this is a pretty serious issue. Overseas parks, especially Disneyland Hong Kong are pretty thorough when it comes to bag searches. I'm just reading Robert Niles' Theme Park Insider book and it seems that the US parks have a lot of undercover security. Perhaps, this is where they'll beef things up.

Like Joz said, sadly the success of an 'Act of Terror' would be measured on the impact it would have by targeting that which is universally recognized, has political, structural and/or cultural significance. Mankind's great icons that symbolize and individualize our world will always be targets so long as they are globally adored.

Natures wonders on the other hand cannot be resented, used and abused in honor of stupidity amongst mankind - we remain Chief responsible for it's abuse nonetheless.

For Australia, our iconic Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Parliament house would be obvious serious targets because they are recognized distinctly on the world's stage

As for Theme Parks, I believe only the world's most beloved and famous one could pose a signigicant potential threat -

I'm sure any true Theme Park fan would know which Park that is. The act of Causing havoc inside a place of innocence and where people go to make their dreams come true would be an all new low for the Human Race.

Now if only Mankind could find a way to un create those God's that created us before we created them? We need to be proven wrong to make things right. Easier said than done when you're at the top of the food chain with no one else but each other to question

If only..

Edited by MickeyD

Disney (and many other parks in the US) are quite efficient and effective with their bag searches.

SFMM take you through metal detectors. While there hasn't been a 'terrorism' issue at these parks, there has been violence - and it would be quite easy for someone to get in with a few knives and hold an entire group hostage in a pre-show room or the like.

Parks have to develop and adapt their own policy for their particular circumstances. SFMM uses metal detectors, Disney only bag searches? It's not just that Disney is in a "better area" than SFMM... it's also got a number of different birdlife to rely on which are very effective.

Those saying it can't happen at a theme park - take a read of Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six" to see just how easily it could be achieved.

Given that I currently work for a law enforcement agency I can say that theme parks would be terrorism target, would it be a high likelihood imminent target, no it wouldn't be. There are so many other targets that would get more potential victims and publicity and that is what most terrorist want.

"The Bus is now leaving for Dangerous Reef, Queensland.

Like Joz said, sadly the success of an 'Act of Terror' would be measured on the impact it would have by targeting that which is universally recognized, has political, structural and/or cultural significance. Mankind's great icons that symbolize and individualize our world will always be targets so long as they are globally adored.

Natures wonders on the other hand cannot be resented, used and abused in honor of stupidity amongst mankind - we remain Chief responsible for it's abuse nonetheless.

For Australia, our iconic Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Parliament house would be obvious serious targets because they are recognized distinctly on the world's stage

As for Theme Parks, I believe only the world's most beloved and famous one could pose a signigicant potential threat -

I'm sure any true Theme Park fan would know which Park that is. The act of Causing havoc inside a place of innocence and where people go to make their dreams come true would be an all new low for the Human Race.

Now if only Mankind could find a way to un create those God's that created us before we created them? We need to be proven wrong to make things right. Easier said than done when you're at the top of the food chain with no one else but each other to question

If only..

A thoughtful and intelligent post!