Sea World - Creatures from the Deep

Zanstabar

I have to say it does look seriously good. However it's gonna need to do more than just LOOK good. There is going to need to be sound and movement, and hopefully interactivity and unpredictability.

I'm going next Monday. Looking forward to seeing all of the above (fingers are crossed)!​

As I said, gold coast theme park fb page said that the creatures do move, with some being controllable. They also said there are sound effects and lighting effects in the inside part.

Whoever the guy is that has access to nearmap, could you please double check if they've been updated? 

​No it hasn't been updated. Last update was April 9

Geez they really need to do something with that old pirate ship/corkscrew area, don't they? The creatures in that area look awesome but their background looks very plain with the filled-in land, sand and boulders etc. 

Otherwise it all looks amazing ???

I have the day off work on Wed so will be going then to check it all out :) 

​Almost as scary as H.R. Pufnstuf.  Sid and Marty Krofft and 70s kids' TV shows have a lot to answer for.

​LSD's the answer, I hope. There's no way they could make those shows while sane. All I remember is watching them on my mum's old VHS tape, and it felt like a fever dream.

Geez they really need to do something with that old pirate ship/corkscrew area, don't they? The creatures in that area look awesome but their background looks very plain with the filled-in land, sand and boulders etc. 

Otherwise it all looks amazing ???

I have the day off work on Wed so will be going then to check it all out :) 

​I'm sure they've got something planned. It'll just take time. Personally, I would love to see a flat ride or two there. It's something that a staple to any park and it's pretty sad that Sea World has none. 

I can't see them doing anything with that area just to give COTD a 'better background'... but once COTD goes, i'm sure they'll be ready to redevelop...

​Oh neither do I, and I wouldn't expect them to just for that attraction alone. But the rest of the exhibit blends in pretty well with the regular surroundings. Its just that corner which doesn't. Felt that way even before Creatures Of The Deep opened, it's just even more obvious now that the land really needs to be utilised in some way.

Would be hard for visitors who have been to places like Disneyland and other massive parks overseas to come to our SW and see so much of it currently closed for renovation, and/or completely empty/scarce. I'd imagine that they wouldn't feel like they are getting their $$'s worth if they are paying for regular day tickets.

Hopefully they do something with it soon, even if its just to add some plantation or something a bit easier on the eye until they decide on something more permanent.

So I went to SW today and checked it out, and overall I was impressed with it. The mixture of creatures, their movement, sound effects and controllability was really good. It is very similar to what Dinosaur Island was, but obviously having a different theme. The use of lighting was good and provided an extra good feel to the creatures. The jellyfish on the ceiling had a small fan blowing against them providing them sense of movement. The detailing in the creatures was good as well. The outdoor section was just as good. As you walked through the gates there was the sound of a dockyard with boat bells ringing and the sound of strong winds. The use of mist around the creatures was really good and did some what hide any supports required for the creatures. The movement on them was really good, particularly the small movements, such as eye, tentacle or fin. Some movements were particularly smooth, particularly noticed with the fin movement on the manta ray on the hill. Be sure to walk along all paths in the outdoor area, as there are a couple of more hidden creatures that you can't see from the main pathway. The great white shark next to the lighthouse I didn't feel like it fitted correctly. It might have been the angle of it or that it was higher up, but I think it should have been put in another position. Despite some creatures being in garden beds, they did use green/blue bark to try and blend it better, and the mist also helped with creating a better feel. The creatures that were controllable did allow you to nearly have control of all parts of their bodies. It was also good how close you could get up to some of the creatures as well. There was a decking section that went right up to the blue whale. I think I nice touch would have been if the whales had water spray out of their blow holes.  I did think that the dirt and gravel behind the large whales could have had some large trees planted to provide a better background. Overall I thought it was a good addition to the park. In my opinion I ink that this will be at the park longer than dinosaur island was, because it fits better and they have gone to a lot of effort in modifying and extending paths for the attraction. 

Looks like they're onto a winner here. The animatronics are looking great, the indoor exhibit looks wonderful and even the outdoor signing looks a lot better than Dinosaur Island's. Can't wait to get down there myself.

Quick Question: For anyone that's been, what is the dragon? It's been really bugging me as I have absolutely no clue what it could be.

8c9a4a08528e345f9d0da10460258716.jpg.

In response to the parkz update, as it wouldn't let me do it on that forum:

I didn't realise they were closing the area off during the ski stunt show. They should deinetly have a sign stating this. Also, I do get the idea of why they have only opened one of the gate doors fully and the other partially, so that guests can see the detailing of the gate, but it doesn't provide as much of an inviting feel as it could (IMO). Because the 2 areas of the attraction are apart, I do think there should be something that provides a link in some way. Even if it was some paint work on the ground (tentacles, foot prints, flowing water affect, small outlines of creature), just something so that it is a bit more clear. I defiantly feel like the whale shark over the grass is pointless, it just doesn't look right. It is a shame that they didn't build a new building on the grassed area, where the whale shark is, as that would make more sense.

I think the shark on toothpicks is an attempt to join the areas, but it just looks silly and out of place.  Honestly, both halves of the attraction work well on their own, and I think the need to join them isn't really needed.

Overall I was very impressed, it's a much better fit to the park than Dinosaurs, and most of my negative comments are pretty nit picky (Difficult to read the information signs inside, and the blurring of the lines between what's real and what isn't).  A better effort was put in as well, from landscaping to the path.  It's on an Australian theme park budget so one can't really be mad at the fact the piping for the fog and speakers are out in the open.  Like I said, it's a good fit for the park, and an effort was put in to presenting it well, and it pays off.

And yes, a sign at both entrances that reads 'Creatures of the deep will close between (what ever the times are) inclusive to allow for the performance of 'Jet Stunt Extreme' would be a welcome addition.

Agree completely. I got the chance to check out the attraction which I though was really just a 'fish overlay for dinosaurs' but I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the attraction. 

Its a whole different league to Dinosaur Island and a great fit for Sea World. I think the kids would love it. 

Budgets aside my only things I didn't love were the overall presentation of the upstairs area falling short of the downstairs in the indoor section, the fact the two large whales needed the support posts and I didn't like that I could hear the Crocodile sound effects over the other side of the dolphin pools which kinda detracts a bit from that area. 

But I really loved the whole thing. 

I took the kids to see it yesterday, and thought it was really well done.  It was impressive enough that Miss 6 the cynic was captivated, Miss 3 was scared of the kraken, but enjoyed the rest.  I think it's a much better fit than Dinosaur Island.  I quite liked being able to see some of the big animatronics as soon as we walked in, the kids wanted to head straight for it.    Indoor downstairs had quality theming, upstairs didn't add anything to it.  I thought the animatronics themselves were fairly impressive.   I agree that the supporting poles weren't great, but it did give them a bit of height, so I think it was worth it to do it that way.  Hugely impressed with use of misting around the creatures, was great to see SW go to the extra effort.  The paths, gardens, walk around the lighthouse area seemed to be finished nicely.  Obviously looking over at the gravel from the whales wasn't ideas, but not something they could really do anything about.

Anyone know what happened to the pirate ship they used to have in the water around that area?  It was the first time I'd noticed its absence.