The Future With Frozen at Epcot

themeparklover

Hi guys

Recently, Epcot announced Maelstrom would be closing to make way for a frozen attraction. Personally, I think Maelstrom was a very enjoyable ride. It's sad to see it go. :(

As Epcot are ready to construct the frozen attraction, do you think it's a good idea to put that kind of ride in there? It would go good in magic kingdom but epcot?? Anyway, since

that the land is themed to Norway, a frozen attraction wouldn't go good there because it just ruins the theme of Norway and Epcot!!. Would you see a future at Epcot with a frozen attraction in a area themed

to Norway??

So what do you think??

Leave a comment

Thanks

:P

Maelstrom was due for an update, especially the end video that no one watches, but I don't think Frozen is the answer. I know why Disney are doing it and it half fits thematically, but it should have been put in MK or DHS, not Epcot. Fortunately I got to ride Maelstrom for the first (and last) time, last year.

Edited by Flea
Removed reference to off topic "debate" :)

I think Malestrom was due for an update, The ride vehicle it self was fine but watching the story of Norway from a boat ride didn’t really make for a riveting ride experience. When you have something like Pirates in MK it just comes of 2nd rate. I do understand people’s nostalgia for it though. That’s natural.

As for frozen being the replacement overlay? It makes total sense. The movie has been an insane hit and will be this generations of kids classic movie just as Aladdin, Lion king, Little Mermaid was for mine and the original classics were before that for each respective generation. Epcot has been creeping more and more "Disney" into the park the last few years and it’s just the natural progression and also a very smart move by Disney as long it it’s not knocked up too quick and on the cheap. It’s got potential to be a total classic for the kids and families.

No need for any of that guys. I have deleted the posts and edited ones that referred to the "debate". Banter is fun but let's keep the posts semi-appropriate and on topic hey :)

Agree that Frozen is a logical choice for the next major attraction. I rarely give animated movies a go but Frozen was brilliant with expertly written songs - hardly surprising that Bobby Lopez co-wrote The Book of Mormon with equally as amazing and catchy songs.

Edited by Flea

No need for any of that guys. I have deleted the posts and edited ones that referred to the "debate". Banter is fun but let's keep the posts semi-appropriate and on topic hey :)

Really disappointed you missed the opportunity to say "let it go" here.

Frozen does make the best sense as the next attraction, and why not Epcot? I might be wrong but Epcot seems to be more of an educational park that probably won't hold much interest for many young people. I would then assume that attendance is lower than the other local parks. By sticking Frozen in there, that's going to drive a massive attendance boost resulting in people who wouldn't normally visit the park taking the time to visit and most likely looking at the other attractions as well.

Ha! Oh wow so am I. I guess uh... do you wanna build a snowman?

I would then assume that attendance is lower than the other local parks.

I thought the same thing actually but a quick search revealed that it's Disney World's second most visited park and the apparent fifth most visited park in the world.

I think it's a very smart move. I was so looking forward to Maelstrom but I found it to be a bit of a let down. Certainly very dated - stuck in the 80s. The queuing room is terrible - it's like you're queuing in the lobby area of a large 1980s office building; one that's deteriorating badly. People have suggested the same ride system could be used but i'm not sure about that. The lift hill is so rough you can't help but laugh. And the biggest issue: the whole ride is way too short. It's over in 2 seconds. Hopefully Frozen will remain as a boat ride but with a much extended footprint and significantly upgraded ride system.

I like the idea of the World Showcase but there are a distinct lack of actual rides in the area. Anything they can do to bring the area into the 21st century and make it more 'fun' is welcome.

Agree - despite visitation (I think it benefits from it's proximity to WDW) but the educational assumption is sometimes the prominent view of many who have not visited the park.

Disney's formula - incorporating it's hugely successful intellectual property in fun, exciting and often thrilling ways is well proven in parks worldwide. EPCOT frequently falls short - it's the poor cousin. Let's not forget that the original dream for EPCOT was not an educational fun park, but as a look to the future.

I don't think they're going to hurt anyone by 'disneyfying" the park more than it is.

This does show one thing though - Disney's confidence in frozen as a franchise. Its popularity is clearly long term. Can't wait to see what they come up with.