Go Pro's On Movie World Rides

themeparklover

Hi

I recently got a go pro hero 3+ silver edition. It's awesome

I'm going to movie world tomorrow and I was wondering are you allowed to take go pro's on movie world rides and roller coasters? I really want to but I'm nervous If anyone catches me with a camera filming and getting confiscated. Do you know what will happen If you are caught?

I don't know what to do!

Anyway I would love your answers. I might sound crazy but have you done it before and close to getting caught?

Thanks

I know I posted another topic again based on this so just ignore it!

Edited by themeparklover

I think Scooby is one of those weird beasts as far as filming goes - you take all your belongings with you, so a camera - in your bag or in your hand is still permitted on the ride. Can't imagine the footage would be very exciting though, given the dark aspect.

Other coasters on the other hand do not permit you to take bags or loose articles on board, and therein would lie the problem of taking a camera on-ride.

A camera in your hand is NOT permitted on Scooby Doo under any circumstances along with any loose items (lanyards etc) around your neck. Go Pro's will not be permitted on any of the attractions either. By taking video footage on any of the attractions you do risk being ejected from the park (a warning the first time) but if you are caught a second time on the day they are more likely to eject you from the park and may even terminate your VIP pass if you have one.

IMO the rules are a little bit strict, but they are there for a reason in the end. So just enjoy the ride without having to worry about being kicked out and just have fun!

There are different standards - but certain parks also prefer to manage the risk, rather than eliminate it all together - for example - coasters that don't go over public areas tend to have lower restrictions - but ones that go over public areas may just have nets installed to prevent falling objects.

I wouldn't say Disney rides are less thrilling - CalScreamin' still packs a punch, and still goes over public walkways - it really isn't any different to say - superman, IMO.

Start of sarcasm

Having absolutely no experience with mounting equipment to rides i'd say go for gold, in fact, go handheld - it usually yields better shots after the fact.

End of sarcasm

Don't do it buddy. If I were you, watch the decent quality ones Robb Alvey and others including myself put out that are professionally and safely mounted and are under direct approval and supervision of the parks. I can't express the safety component enough. Not only that, but doing stuff like breaking the rules and sneaking gear onto rides makes all enthusiasts look bad.

Most important of all though, while you think your footage will end up looking like this:

I guarantee it'll end up looking like this:

Edited by Slick

Did you want to put it on YouTube as POV's or just muck around videos? Mine was just a muck around video for facebook that we were just being silly on the rides and doing facecam videos in the mazes (all handheld). So depends what you were doing it for.. Then again it is technically 'not allowed' so depends if you want to risk it!

• 4 weeks later...

I dare say that the "no cameras on rides" rule, other than being for obvious safety reasons, would also be due to copyright laws. Licensed characters, sounds, music etc. on themed rides. Especially since a lot of people have a tendency to upload their material to the internet, YT etc. which is considered violation of these laws.

Sheesh, I wasn't even allowed to photograph or video my daughter singing at her Eisteddfod concert the past couple of years because of these exact same rules :blink: They are pretty strict on them no matter where you go... especially at places like theme parks, whom are owned by companies who own the licenses for a lot of this content.

Disney are actually VERY protective of their brand and will vigorously defend it against any unauthorised use...

http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

However - as they do not prohibit people from filming in their parks, people will film there and will post it online. So long as this footage shows Disney Parks in a light of "here's a person having fun in Disneyland" its just adding to the gargantuan marketing presence they have. Watching Youtube videos of the rides and attractions instantly makes one want to visit.

I can guarantee you any damaging footage of the parks posted online would quickly be pursued in the legal arena.

Disney are actually VERY protective of their brand and will vigorously defend it against any unauthorised use...

http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

Yup. And whilst I know this is on a much bigger scale of things, I felt compelled to bring up the recent "Disney Vs. Deadmau5" logo case as well lol.... http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/11/05/47876/trademark-law-why-disney-is-fighting-canadian-dj-d/

Disney do care, and have been known in both past and present to bully smaller businesses and individuals around for having anything remotely (or obviously) similar to any of their own material.

Regardless of whether any company would intend to take action or not to protect copyrighted material, I suspect that is the reason - along with safety - behind most "no filming/photographs" rules of theme park rides and shows. Although so many people do it anyway these days, especially when today's technology with mobile phones, go pros etc. makes it so easy and a lot more discreet.