Superman Operations

Flea

Apologies if this has already been discussed - just a couple of Superman observations from my visit to MW last week.

1. Noticed a pretty questionable loading procedure that was severely impacting wait times (relatively quiet day, most rides 5-10 min wait - Superman 30-45 min with 1 train operation). Basically people would only be grouped and sent to the gate once the train had come into the loading station instead of inbetween cycles. This would take at least a minute while the train just sat in the station. I thought perhaps this was due to staffing but there was a different operator in the unload station.

2. Water down the stairs still isn't working (think it's been broke for months now?). Sure hope they haven't given up on it as the "oh no it's about to blow!" as you coast past some stairs is pretty underwhelming.

The loading procedure has been like that in off peak periods for some time. It's disgusting and reminiscent of Cyclone at Dreamworld. Now Cyclone's queue-line is the reason for it's downfall - nobody likes queuing inside the hothouse spiral, which is why the queue is on the outside - however - MW has no excuse for such poor operations. If guests were grouped during operation, you could easily save more than 1 minute each cycle, which would definitely chew through the queue at a reasonable pace.

Seemingly the reason they do the grouping at this point is because the automatic doors they've installed are not secure in that they can be forcibly pushed open and as such don't meet the safety requirements like traditional air gates would. I figure the only reason they opted for this unusual style of door is to preserve the Superman-pushing-the-train illusion so that onlookers can only see this during the outdoor coaster section.

Given the stringent height and loose item checks done at the entry, I'd be in favour of losing the entire system currently in place and rebuilding the area with individual queues at each (safety compliant) air gate that allow riders to choose the row they want, with longer queues for front and rear seats. Riders benefit from being able to watch multiple cycles before their turn which Disney and Universal will tell you dramatically increases the speed of dispatch because riders know what they're supposed to do.

They'd lose one key theming element -- though at the same time introduce air gates that are far more on-theme for a metro station than doors -- but see a significant increase in capacity with reduced staffing that could offset the power and maintenance cost of running additional cycles.

And you'd have to think that hairline fractures or similar will eventually necessitate the removal of the Superman figures from the trains...

You can't say scooby has gone downhill when it's clear that the park has taken steps to rectify the problem.

SE, the effects have been an issue for a while (last time I saw it was FN - no steam, no water, still no smoke upon building "breakthrough" exit)

WWF haven't been on in a while so I can't really comment, last time I remember it though there seemed to be limited effects.

You're being very general... how about a little detail about what is wrong, and when you saw it? maybe it was an off day? maybe it was before they did a refurb?

how about no lasers and no fog on nearly every single day? the last few times i rode it before my pass ran out (now have dw pass) it was like this. it was just a dark empty room..

how about no lasers and no fog on nearly every single day? the last few times i rode it before my pass ran out (now have dw pass) it was like this. it was just a dark empty room..

Assuming that means you haven't attended since at least late June, which was when the majority of passes expired.

Given that was 5 months ago, and the refresh/maintenance has taken place since them and been discussed on here, why are you complaining?

Ok - so 5 months ago, in the off season, prior to a refurb, and your statement is "on nearly every single day" which implies that some days it WAS working. This suggests to me more like 'several' one offs, rather than an ongoing issue.

We've heard ex-ops such as Spotty discuss how some effects aren't working or not refilled from day to day, and they report this to their leads, but once the ride is opened, there is not a lot that can be done about it except remind Tech services to look at it before the next day.

Does that mean it's acceptable? No. But you discuss these issues like it's an epidemic of failed theming across the board whereas in your own words you make allowances that it wasn't every day, and you're talking about observations around half a year out of date.

Clearly, when others have visited more recently, and not observed the same issues, this is a perfect example of #yourargumentisinvalid.

Alex, 1:06-1:07 in the first video and 0:54-0:55 in the second. Should've linked the times properly :)

I shall have to review them when I get home and check it out.

Alex, 1:06-1:07 in the first video and 0:54-0:55 in the second. Should've linked the times properly :)

I'm not sure if I'm hearing the right effect, but it sounds like something attempting to sound like an object moving at high speeds. I don't know if I've ever heard it while on the ride, so it may be yet another effect turned off.

Can't hear it in the 2nd, but the first video I can certainly hear what you're talking about and from memory, that is/was/should be a sound effect they played as you leave the launch (unless it just happens to fit perfectly with the normal ride sounds but I don't think so)