2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

I think that's a terrible idea. I don't want glass between me and the animals/keepers. What is natural about a 10ft glass panel in a so called 'natural habitat' enclosure.

I also don't think they'll upgrade or change the cafe that I think I've seen open once in my last 10+ visits or the shop, which is well, a shop.

I would like to see The Lair utilised more.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the Paddle Streamer is reopening?

No, They demolished it, It isn't going to happening so keeping on dreaming for something else to happen :)

Personally I would like to see DW to step away from the flat ride market for four years at least and focus on building some roller coasters (Woodie would be nice in Car Park B which is an area as that isn't being used) or focus on their sister park WWW.

Edited by The_Ninja_59

Idle speculation- a Euro Fighter could work out great for DW. They need something that isn't short, like TOT2 or BuzzSaw (Cyclone is in-between)

Imo a Karacho (Tripsdrill) clone would be something awesome to ride (or any Eurofighter that isn't too similar to Abyss or a 320+ model).

They need something that isn't short, you think Cyclone is "in-between" and you suggest a Eurofighter... Yet Abyss (oddly enough - a EuroFighter) - has a ride time of +/- 1:45. (RCDB lists it as 2:00, however a TPR vid - from dispatch to brake run has it at about 1:45 which includes ~5 seconds sitting at the bottom of the lift hill before the chain lift starts). If you take the same measure - from dispatch to brake run, Cyclone has the EXACT SAME run time of +/- 1:45.

Taking a TPR vid of Karacho - the ride time (thanks to the launch, as opposed to a chain lift) goes for only 1:20 from dispatch to brake run.

Even Typhoon in Bobbejaadland (a Eurofighter 670/8) only runs for 1:30.

Even the old Colossus at SFMM only ran for 2:30... so what sort of run time are you looking for?

we will never get a Euro Fighter only the rest of the world gets the really cool coasters <_<

Ummmmm... bladex - Abyss is a EuroFighter... "we" already got one.

i don't follow adv world

So what you're referring to is just SE QLD not getting cool coasters?

So would you call these "cool" ? If not - what do you consider cool, on a budget of 10-20 mil?

• A world record setter for tallest and fastest?
  • The best themed Intamin Accelerator coaster in the world
  • World's steepest drop?
  • World's first SLC with a boomerang helix?

Ok - several of you just choked on your cheerios - but let's remember in 1995 - that was cool.

It's very hard to do "cool" on a budget, unless the "cool" factor is a one-trick pony... like BuzzSaw. I think our parks have done alright, and consider the introduction of Abyss to be "upping the ante" in Australia and will encourage our GC parks to follow suit. If you're expecting Milennium Force or Tatsu or the Smiler... you're gunna need a plane ticket.

what i consider a cool coaster is something fast, high with a few cool loops etc. so far only arkham fits that bill and they've never topped it since.

superman is good from launch after that it's boring.

cyclone is just really bad and rough you get no enjoyment out of it.

storm is a kid coaster.

the parks up here are dropping the ball big time for cool coasters.

Edited by bladex

I enjoy the 2 -1G airtime hills on Superman.

It is even more expensive to build a "cool" coaster in Australia because we are so far away from where the parts of the coaster are built in Europe or the US. It's also more expensive to do anything in general including buying land, workers' costs, equipment hire etc.

Unless someone sets up a coaster company here in Australia tailoring to our specific industry's needs, our parks are going to have to fish out the big bucks for coasters.

what i consider a cool coaster is something fast, high with a few cool loops etc. so far only arkham fits that bill and they've never topped it since.

superman is good from launch after that it's boring.

cyclone is just really bad and rough you get no enjoyment out of it.

storm is a kid coaster.

the parks up here are dropping the ball big time for cool coasters.

Superman - nothing about it is boring

Storm - definitelty not a kids coaster

Cyclone - is old but that doesn't make it in enjoyable.

Parks have limited budgets, and 'cool' coasters are very expensive. I don't think they are dropping the ball at all, just doing the best they can with the limited budgets they have, which just happens to be rides you don't think are 'cool'

There is also the attraction value of a coaster to take into account.

Our family has travelled from Victoria to the Gold Coast for the parks, 10 times in 5 years and spent plenty of money at each of them in that time and we have barely ridden a coaster in that time apart from the more family orientated ones.

We'd much rather see money put into something like Storm than a massive coaster and I'll wager people like us represent a fair whack of the parks annual income.

For once, BigKev, I agree with you. Parks overseas can profit from the big blockbusters because they have the diversity in the market - families to bring in the holiday bucks, and thrillseekers who will travel the country just to ride it.

Our amusement industry can't sustain on thrillseekers alone - mainly because they're too whiny and fussy about what they get, and always under-appreciate what they are given.

The one thing I think they could pull off on a reasonable budget would be a off-the-shelf woodie. None of them currently have the space for it (Dreamworld could if they fiddled things a little) - the main reason being that it is manufactured on-site so local materials could potentially save on things like shipping. Buy the plans from a known brand, and build it locally. Trains would be the only major import.