2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

Apart from the countless topics that have been created here over the years answering that very question... they are two different experiences...

Steel coasters are intended to be smooth, high speed, inversions, twists etc...

Wooden coasters move - wood flexes - so the sensation is more about being out of control - big dips, headchoppers. Standing in the stationhouse when the train hits the final brake run and feeling the whole station shudder under your feet as the train's force pushed against it.

I think each to their own. I personally hate the riding wooden coasters, so don't really want to see one here. I don't know whether the overall general public in Australia would get used to (and enjoy) the experience, either. They'd probably see it as old or outdated, helped form that opinion by certain media outlets.

I agree that a traditional woodie - the likes of Bush Beast, or Scenic Railway wouldn't turn heads (which is wrong, as they arewere both awesome coasters in their own right) - however most of the park going public likes a coaster that has inversions. A new-school woodie with inversions would hold the appeal in my opinion, or something with a 'participation' element, such as high-five, or a twin racer such as Colossus used to be.

Even with that said, a nice little GCI woodie - like Apocalypse - does look impressive, and it holds it's own. I don't think the majority of the general public would agree with you Ash. I appreciate you don't enjoy them - and each to their own... but I think media outlets would trumpet "brand new ride at dreamworld" rather than "crappy death trap opens at dreamworld"...

Apocalypse:

52702hmts0g004hg08g9k0.jpg

I must admit as someone who knows little about coasters I always assumed roller coasters were like golf clubs, made out of wood until something better became available.

If an expert could give a quick run down on wood v steel I'd appreciate the education.

I'm no expert - but the golf club analogy doesn't fit... I can see how you'd reach that conclusion though.

As I explained above - wood flexes and bends, it absorbs certain forces, gives an out-of-control feeling, and harnesses are generally less restrictive (mainly because of the lack of inversions). Until recently, they mainly relied on gravity and energy from the initial drop to propel them around the entire course, rather than boosters part-way through. This means big drops and high speeds, banked curves etc. Depending on the weight in the car, you can have a different experience on a woodie (temperature, humidity, age and whether the weight is in the back front etc can affect how the track flexes and therefore the forces felt) whereas steel is less flexible. Whilst a steel coaster ride can still be affected by weight, it is less about weight placement.

When you take a look at companies like GCI, it is clear there is still a market for woodies. If they were the proverbial 'golf club' - then you wouldn't see any new ones being built, would you?

This should help a bit more...

Steel vs. Wood Video

This is an interesting debate between two people on the merits of steel v wood, which cites some interesting facts:

Steel vs. Wood Debate

Good old reliable Wiki

And as I mentioned previously - the right here on Parkz. (Includes a poll, which currently stands at 37 Wood vs. 33 Steel. (I'm pretty sure there are other discussions over the years on Parkz as this one is 9 years old)

This year Dreamworld really should do something about the abandoned attractions. It is coming up to 10 years since Blue Lagoon nand the Chair lift closed and they continue to rot in the park. The Mine Ride closed 9 years ago this year and looking at a recent post there is a huge demand to bring it back, just look at the Tailspin page on Dreamworld s website on the Facebook comments.

The mine ride is beyond repair now, it would need full replacement which would mean tearing down the mountain, which is turn would mean shutting down a decent area of the park due to the asbestos.

I think we'll see a large attraction announced Mid year for a late 2015/early 2016 opening, but doubt lagoon is the only area Id see being considered as part of a new rides footprint

With the Mine Ride can't they just create a new Mine Ride with the same track layout, rebuild the track, new ride system, new theming and fix the mountain?

In March the chairlift has been abandoned for 10 years! You think it would have been removed / replaced by now...

Next year is Blue Lagoon and Mine Ride have been abandoned for 10 years - unless they do something about it....

Edited by Gary86

Would you invest in a house that had been abandoned and left to rot for the best part of a decade??

Even re-building an exact replica would require partial deconstruction of the mountain which raises the same health concerns.

I honestly believe the asbestos issue is all that's stopped them from knocking it down (and the cost/loss of income associated)

As for the skyway pillars, they're not in the way of anything, so are they worth the expense to move? I'd say they'll stay til they imede future development. The vast majority of visitors either wouldn't notice them, or wouldn't give them a second thought once they did see them

Dreamworld's website has received a make over. I like its fresh new look:

post-29557-0-65595500-1421021685_thumb.p

Their maintenance schedule has also been released:

DRONKEY FLYERS: 01/02/2015 - 07/02/2015
OGRE-GO-ROUND: 01/02/2015 - 07/02/2015
PUSS IN BOOTS SWORD SWING: 08/02/2015 - 14/02/2015
SHOCKWAVE: 15/02/2015 - 28/02/2015
WIPEOUT: 01/03/2015 - 21/03/2015
GINGY'S GLIDER: 15/03/2015 - 21/03/2015
ROCKY HOLLOW LOG RIDE: 22/03/2015 - 04/04/2015
BUZZSAW: 26/04/2015 - 23/05/2015
THUNDER RIVER RAPIDS: 24/05/2015 - 06/06/2015
DOROTHY'S ROSY TEA CUP RIDE: 07/06/2015 - 13/06/2015
MICK DOOHAN'S MOTOCOASTER: 07/06/2015 - 13/06/2015
ESCAPE FROM MADAGASCAR: 14/06/2015 - 27/06/2015
THE GIANT DROP: 26/07/2015 - 15/08/2015
PANDAMONIUM: 23/08/2015 - 05/09/2015
TOWER OF TERROR II: 06/09/2015 - 19/09/2015
THE CLAW: 18/10/2015 - 31/10/2015
CYCLONE: 18/10/2015 - 21/11/2015
TAIL SPIN: 01/11/2015 - 14/11/2015

It's an incredible new website to be sure - it's responsive from the ground up so it's going to look sweet on practically any device.

If you find any bugs, be sure to let the park know and post them below. I'm sure they'd appreciate a keen enthusiast's eye to go over the website and spot anything missing before the masses find it.