2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

The DJ is kinda annoying, he looks kinda awkward there... reminds me of the other day on the wipeout. They had three staff members, and the third spent her whole day standing outside the wave letting people through onto the ride when she needed to. While the ride was going she just stood there dancing to the music... but she looked so awkward and was kinda making a fool out of herself ?

I guess it's still less awkward than standing there doing nothing. And she was pretty nice too.

I saw the show twice tonight... I'm sorry but there is no way she was a real DJ. She rarely looked down and actually mixed anything and when she did it was a second or 2 after the song transition. Defend it as much as you want but I thought it was cringe worthy. It was a cool show though regardless. Could've easily done without the DJ booth that's all.

2 hours ago, webslave said:

Son, I can confidently say as somebody who has employed DJs onto larger gigs than you've likely attended that you're making a lot of assumptions as to the legitimacy of the DJ'ing that don't stack up in reality.  Headphones with no cable?  Fairly common now - IEM receivers are popular.  Dancing around?  Yeah, you'll do what the promoter tells you if the money's right.  Not DJ'ing because it would be impossible to keep the show elements in sync?  Timecode has been around a while now, as have click tracks, as have GPI triggers.

Let's just assume there's a difference between the 21st birthday garage DJ market and the main stage professional market, m'kay? :)

What I'm saying is... That person does not even look a little convincing they are actually DJing. They are over exaggerating way too much. Sure there are some wireless headphones, which are needed in this case so they can dance all over the place without cords interrupting there "awesome" moves ;) As for the dancing around part, sure some top DJ's get the crowd going by doing some stuff like standing on the table, clapping their hands, using the mic, however, this person is just going way over the top ? They should just tone it down so it's not as distracting so people can focus more on the lights & effects.

11 hours ago, Santa07 said:

The DJ is kinda annoying, he looks kinda awkward there... reminds me of the other day on the wipeout. They had three staff members, and the third spent her whole day standing outside the wave letting people through onto the ride when she needed to. While the ride was going she just stood there dancing to the music... but she looked so awkward and was kinda making a fool out of herself ?

I guess it's still less awkward than standing there doing nothing. And she was pretty nice too.

re: third person - it's possible that this staff member has returned from a work related injury and is on restricted duties. they may not be able to do certain things, so dreamworld has still found something that they can do to give them some form of work.

As for the 'is it a dj or isn't it a dj' - webslave there is no need to be so condescending. Razz has obviously voiced an opinion based on experience, there is no need to speak like you're talking to a child just because you have a different opinion.

What's more likely:

1. Dreamworld have hired a "main stage professional" DJ to do 2 x 5 minute sets per night, but nobody knows who they are (if they're a main stage professional, they'd have a name for themselves surely?), and are quite happy to pay a (usual minimum) 4 hour call per night for 10 minutes work... or:
  2. Dreamworld gets an existing member of their entertainment crew who is already on that day to learn the music used in the show, and come up with some simple dance moves that 'fit' within the show? (which given the video I saw had a dude, and now someone else is saying it was a chick sounds even more likely).

edit: (Oh, and I almost forgot - let's have them spin a dance hit from 1996, that really did not need a revival)

While still in the same vein, what's more likely:

1. Dreamworld purchased a ready made light show that requires a performer to jump around a bit
  2. Dreamworld entered into an agreement with a DJ who is well known enough that they'd agree to bring him \ her in as an entertainer, but somehow not known well enough that you'd want to promote the name of this DJ in your marketing material for the event (as surely if they're that good a DJ, using their name in the promo might encourage fans to attend who might otherwise not do so), designed an entire show around them including light \ projection mapping, built a giant scaffold over their fountain, and then left the timing of the show purely to chance based on the whim of the DJ's live set.
Edited by AlexB

Here is my 2 opinions if Dreamworld were to bring this back next summer.

1. Hire a real DJ to play Top 40 well known songs from 5pm until the first show starts. This would give Dreamworld a bit more energy & life for the night. Imagine walking through the gates for the night event and having your favourite radio tunes pumping, with maybe some lasers & smoke. 

When the time comes for the first show, the DJ would step down, wait for the show to conclude, then come back up and play some more songs before the second show. 

2. To not hire a DJ & have the speakers play their normal tunes (which I'm assuming is what is happening?) for the night. 

Have the show start, have all of the amazing lights & effects. Maybe you could even add a few water fountains? Like a mini world of colour?

Just watched beatbox. It's a decent production imo, a step in the right direction for an after hours summer show. 

We all know the DJ is an actor, I just think he doesn't know that. He plays it up just a bit too much. Clearly has been dreaming of turntables since birth and is living out his dream in full force 

24 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Just watched beatbox. It's a decent production imo, a step in the right direction for an after hours summer show. 

We all know the DJ is an actor, I just think he doesn't know that. He plays it up just a bit too much. Clearly has been dreaming of turntables since birth and is living out his dream in full force 

did you check out Hot Wheels Sidewinder? if so what did you think of it?

Edited by The_Ninja_59

59 minutes ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

did you check out Hot Wheels Sidewinder? if so what did you think of it?

Unfortunately not, had my 3yr old with me so it's was only Dreamworks area for me tonight! 

I have to say I can't help but think DW is missing out on some revenue. By 7:30 all food outlets were closed except for those in the exit building, all retail outlets closed as well. Not even the churro shop was open (which generally is at its busiest as people leave)

On 1/7/2016 at 9:39 PM, lifeofsamage said:

Found this pic on one of the production companies Facebook pages. Obviously their realy good to get music out of some paper

1291543_1098179040195061_1755735030866772913_o.jpg

Just realised this pic is of the DW show. I was re-watching the video and the placement of the laptop (on the X) - it all makes sense now. Wasn't quite clear in the original post...

11 hours ago, lifeofsamage said:

second show tonight one of the pyro flame throwers misfired and set one of the lights on fire. The show isn't as good without fire

I find it really hard to believe in the litigious society we live in, in public performance venues, that minimum clearances around pyro aren't adhered to. How in the hell were ANY fixtures within range of pyro devices?

And are you saying after pyro mis-fired and a fixture caught fire, they still continued the show, just without flames? I also find that very hard to believe.

Only saw part of the second show as was exiting the park, so didn't see the 'fire'

the pyro shoots out in 5 directions, all of which are Moving away from the structure and the light that shines up from beneath the pyro for the smoke effects. 

The only way that light could have caught fire would have been if the pyro shot downwards (there was no breeze, let alone a gale that could have redirected a properly firing flame), in which case it's a wonder why the cloth/screening they use didn't go up as well..

taken last night..

image.png

Edited by Brad2912

12 hours ago, AlexB said:

Just realised this pic is of the DW show. I was re-watching the video and the placement of the laptop (on the X) - it all makes sense now. Wasn't quite clear in the original post...

I find it really hard to believe in the litigious society we live in, in public performance venues, that minimum clearances around pyro aren't adhered to. How in the hell were ANY fixtures within range of pyro devices?

And are you saying after pyro mis-fired and a fixture caught fire, they still continued the show, just without flames? I also find that very hard to believe.

The laptop is just a screen with a feed of a camera mounted on the projector housings. The fire was very small and only melted the protective housing partially. Not many people would have noticed. It was out within a few seconds

10 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Only saw part of the second show as was exiting the park, so didn't see the 'fire'

the pyro shoots out in 5 directions, all of which are Moving away from the structure and the light that shines up from beneath the pyro for the smoke effects. 

The only way that light could have caught fire would have been if the pyro shot downwards (there was no breeze, let alone a gale that could have redirected a properly firing flame), in which case it's a wonder why the cloth/screening they use didn't go up as well

The flame didn't fire properly 

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

So for there beat box show they don't shoot fire off the top anymore ?

No only for the rest of the show. I believe it was back tonight

Edited by lifeofsamage

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

I don't see any fixture catch fire. I see a flame out. I don't see any impact to any other fixtures. I'm thinking they ran out of gas.

If you look at the end of the structure just after it fires you can see a flicker of light. That was the fire. It was more noticeable in real life