2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

Howdy everyone, don't think I've posted on here in about... nine years? I've been reading the forums lately and I finally remembered my very old password so yay!

I haven't read everyone's posts in this topic so excuse me if I suggest something that has already been clarified or debunked. As you know they have announced two major attractions for this year. The word attraction to me means more than just a ride, it could mean a show or experience as well. During a visit to Dreamworld some time in September I sparked a conversation with one of the tiger handlers about Tiger Island and the park. I mentioned that I was really impressed with the revamped Wipeout and asked if he knew anything else in the pipeline. He then went on to say that there are plans to revamp Tiger Island and to give it arena seating and a proper show to accompany it. He explained that Tiger Island was originally built primarily as a "pass-through" attraction, where people would walk in, watch the tigers for a bit then walk on, and over the years many people have requested that they put on a proper scripted show in the same league of say Sea World's dolphin show (I'm aware they have had the presentations for many years but I think he meant on a more larger scale). With that all being said I think Tiger Island getting an overhaul is a big possibility for one of the two big new attractions for this year. As for the other big attraction, I like most of you would love to see the Eureka brought back in some shape or form. I know there is a dedicated topic for that can of worms but I figured it's just as much of a possibility for one of the new attractions to be open this year as anything else right now.

One would hope and think a revamp of the v8 redline wouldn't be significant enough to justify it being mentioned on the report, especially considering the Tiger Island refurb wasn't mentioned at all. From what I understand, as claw said the refurb for Tiger Island is going to be a rather large investment. The whole island will be shut off for a while, so it isn't a case of it just getting a facade refit. So slightly off topic, but the V8 investment must be significant. Time will tell. Hopefully we see a new coaster out of it (think i305 style).

I'm looking forward to this Tiger Island refurbishment. I've alwayd thought that the area needed some sort of seating system, as at times it can be difficult to see the show. I dont know what date Tiger Island opened, but maybe DW are planning to have the area reopen for the 20th birthday. DW are advertising the 2 new attractions as BIG attractions. So maybe a roller coaster based around V8 Supercars could be installed.

Remember what happened last time DW tried to do a rollercoaster after a racing theme. We got a flat rollercoaster. If they did a Bathurst layout at least we would get to ride the dipper but any other track is pretty flat.

I also hope they don't show the current cars because they are all about to change.

I DW where to build a decent rollercoaster themed around the V8”s (sorry I can’t stop laughing) then I would like the train to be themed around and xy or an old 05 car.

Edited by skeetafly

^ The problem with MDMC is not because it is "flat" but the fact that it's not close to the ground at all. MDMC loses all of its sense of speed and realism by being elevated. If they had done something similar to Jet Rescue and kept it close to/on the ground that would've been awesome. They could've even put tarmac under the track to give the impression the motorbikes are on an actual race track.

Anyway this talk about the V8 Cars thing has me a little concerned (sorry I only just saw that in the topic, I guess at least one of my suggestions is off the table). We already have a racing themed ride, unless they're going to put it in the vicinity of MDMC (which I don't see how that is possible unless it's another flat ride or they use the island) and actually be consistent with their themes why do they want/need another one? I wouldn't get my hopes up for a coaster for this year at least anyway. We would've already seen some kind of groundwork and found some kind of documentation supporting the idea of a coaster by now (blueprints, construction permits from the council, trademark registration, etc.) and considering that it took ten years for Dreamworld to build a coaster after Cyclone how can we expect another one only four years after Buzz Saw? I'd say this is just an upgrade of RedLine I'm afraid and nothing more.

^ The problem with MDMC is not because it is "flat" but the fact that it's not close to the ground at all. MDMC loses all of its sense of speed and realism by being elevated. If they had done something similar to Jet Rescue and kept it close to/on the ground that would've been awesome. They could've even put tarmac under the track to give the impression the motorbikes are on an actual race track.

Anyway this talk about the V8 Cars thing has me a little concerned (sorry I only just saw that in the topic, I guess at least one of my suggestions is off the table). We already have a racing themed ride, unless they're going to put it in the vicinity of MDMC (which I don't see how that is possible unless it's another flat ride or they use the island) and actually be consistent with their themes why do they want/need another one? I wouldn't get my hopes up for a coaster for this year at least anyway. We would've already seen some kind of groundwork and found some kind of documentation supporting the idea of a coaster by now (blueprints, construction permits from the council, trademark registration, etc.) and considering that it took ten years for Dreamworld to build a coaster after Cyclone how can we expect another one only four years after Buzz Saw? I'd say this is just an upgrade of RedLine I'm afraid and nothing more.

10 years to build another coaster after cyclone ? cyclone opened in 2001 the runaway raptar in 2002 and mdmc in 2007 before buzz saw in 2011 hows that 10 years ?

Edited by JeffreyMoore

Sorry, I should've specified as being a thrill or signature roller coaster. I know MDMC was and still is marketted as a thrill ride but I think we can agree that was a bad marketting choice. To be fair Dreamworld has forked out a bit of money in the past few years adding new things to the park as well as sprucing up older rides like The Claw and Wipeout plus the new food outlets which I think was a brilliant move (Dreamworld really needed more variety in their food options like they used to have. Now all they need to do is bring the Buffet place back to life). With all this being said I just think it's unrealistic to think that they would invest a large sum of money again into a large-scale coaster so soon. I think we can expect more minor attractions and upgrades for this year and the following year and then finally see something big in 2017. I think Dreamworld needs to take a leaf out of Movie World's book right now and focus on making the park as a whole the best that it can be before it chucks a massive wad of cash into a new ride.

When I think about it, I can't imagine that ardent leisure would just write about major attractions on that file, before DW had announced anything on FB or their website, because that's where we hear the latest news first. In my opinion, I'm going to say that the V8 Supercar attraction will be an upgrade to the current Redline.

I can't imagine that ardent leisure would just write about major attractions on that file, before DW had announced anything on FB or their website, because that's where we hear the latest news first.

Countless attractions in the past have been mentioned or foreshadowed through ASX and shareholder meetings. This has long been an effective way to get hints about future development at our parks. Official websites and Facebook are normally the last place you'll hear anything...

Anyone know if there was a time limit or contract to have the MDMC named after mick doohan? Or is a permanent thing till the ride gets a make over one day? Cause you would think that one day he's goner want all his stuff back that's on display around the queue area.

I think there's a time-based contract.

Surely the time would have expired by now then? It's been what, 8 years?

90% of people who go on the ride wouldnt know Mick Doohan if he was in the queue next to them.

He hasnt been relevant for half a decade.

Yeh true true, most people never even heard of him untill they see a couple of his pics lineing up and then that's it

Based off what happened to their licensing deal with Nickelodeon, I'd say it's more than likely a timed contract. The bigheads at Dreamworld would much rather have the ability to end a contract instead of being locked in indefinitely so they can re-theme areas of the park to either original or other licenced themes which may be more relevant in the future. Also when it's time to renew a contract they may decide the fees they're paying for the licence may not be worth the investment anymore so they can sever it and move onto more viable business deals. If I am right and that is the case, they will probably renew their contract with The Wiggles as they are still pretty relevant with the new members and it's something good and wholesome for the kids (they probably make a tonne of cash on The Wiggles merchandise they sell there too). As for Mick Doohan, it might just be a decade-long contract and depending on how they feel about having Mick Doohan's name still associated with the ride is of any value or not they may choose to renew or sever it. My money is on they will sever it personally, the ride was a flop marketting wise and I don't think Mick Doohan's name gives it any buzz. It even just says "Motocoaster" on the map (not including the ride list below the actual map) so it just goes to show how much they think Mick Doohan's name gives no value to the ride anymore.