2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

My money is on the cyclone getting re-themed to a v8 supercar roller coaster.  New train and queue turned into the museum.  If I remember correctly there is meant to be one major overhaul this year like what was completed last year on the Wipeout.  Cyclone has a 4 week maintenance period at the end of the year where this could be completed.

​Didn't someone say it was going to be a completely new attraction?

My money is on the cyclone getting re-themed to a v8 supercar roller coaster.  New train and queue turned into the museum.  If I remember correctly there is meant to be one major overhaul this year like what was completed last year on the Wipeout.  Cyclone has a 4 week maintenance period at the end of the year where this could be completed.

There's no way Dreamworld could make an elaborate exhibit in the pre-exsisting Cyclone queue with the current infrastructure. Unless the reverse the queue lines once again, you've got only a small space where the turbine is for major items (I.e cars), and then little photos and posters around the sides on each walls (maybe some videos if Dreamworld decides to go the whole hog). There's no way someone could enter that without riding, let alone complete all the necessary works within a couple of weeks. 

I understand the idea of DW keeping two V8 attractions in the same area, but I just don't think it will logistically happen. The themed area formerly known as Rivertown is looking to be a prime candidate for this new addition. If anything does get changed or added on the Cyclone, my money is on DW doing something very gimmicky, such as turning the cars backwards rather than making any valuable contributions to the ride.

Isn't most of that being taken up by ABC Kids World?

From what I've seen, it's just been a minor extension. TBH that whole Rivertown section is a mess. According to the park map, it's all Wiggles World, including MDMC and Billabong. I just hope they end up clearing up that whole section of the park rather than having it be their dumping ground for rides.

There's no way Dreamworld could make an  in the pre-exsisting Cyclone queue with the current infrastructure. Unless the reverse the queue lines once again, you've got only a small space where the turbine is for major items (I.e cars), and then little photos and posters around the sides on each walls (maybe some videos if Dreamworld decides to go the whole hog). There's no way someone could enter that without riding, let alone complete all the necessary works within a couple of weeks. 

I understand the idea of DW keeping two V8 attractions in the same area, but I just don't think it will logistically happen. The themed area formerly known as Rivertown is looking to be a prime candidate for this new addition. If anything does get changed or added on the Cyclone, my money is on DW doing something very gimmicky, such as turning the cars backwards rather than making any valuable contributions to the ride.

As per Richards update.  "Dreamworld's V8 Supercars area is set to expand significantly later this year. Given the area is right between Wipeout and FlowRider – Ocean Parade's two most oceanic – it'll be interesting to see how they make the area work, particularly because Ocean Parade is looking the best it ever has since last year's redevelopment." 

I can see a lot places you could add a shed if needed.

Capture.thumb.JPG.64e3dc1e552da788408a21

What make you think it's going to be a elaborate exhibit?

Unfortunately, as of last night - all Nearmaps are still stuck in April somewhere - so no new aerial shots available to compare.

Given the shot of the frog hopper earlier in this discussion though, it looks like it's taking up a fair chunk of rivertown, so i don't think there'd be any room for the V8 attraction, and even if there was, i doubt they'd fit much.

As for the area around Cyclone - to be honest, the 'under ride' area of Cyclone is perfect - the elevated nature of the custom ride leaves heaps of 'back of house' space they could definitely utilise for other things...

Ahh I see what you're getting at. I thought you just meant for the attraction to be using the pre-existing Cyclone building, rather than having an external building off to the side. 

What make you think it's going to be a elaborate exhibit?

Just putting two and two together, with the announcement about the Peter Brock cars and a new motorsport attraction. It is a very logical move for this new attraction be an exhibit rather than a new attraction. Once again though, I could be wrong. I am only human.

Unfortunately, as of last night - all Nearmaps are still stuck in April somewhere - so no new aerial shots available to compare.

Given the shot of the frog hopper earlier in this discussion though, it looks like it's taking up a fair chunk of rivertown, so i don't think there'd be any room for the V8 attraction, and even if there was, i doubt they'd fit much.

As for the area around Cyclone - to be honest, the 'under ride' area of Cyclone is perfect - the elevated nature of the custom ride leaves heaps of 'back of house' space they could definitely utilise for other things...

Is there any way of telling when Nearmaps will be updated?

Is Redline still open? Last time I was at the park it was closed, and previous to that I have not seen too many people taking part in the attraction. Pie in the sky thinking, could it be that Redline is out, and turning into a Brock or v8 Museum with an expansion of the building, and Cyclone gets a small retheme/ overlay to fit the v8 focus of the area? If it's a car museum, it's kind of a return to the past when the park had the Giltraps Auto Museum move into what is now the Marketplace. 

I don't think there is much chance that cyclone will be re-themed to the v8 supercars. The ride is in ocean parade. Yes, they put Redline in there, but that was done when DW didn't really care that much. I can't see a major re-theme of the cyclone happening in a month. It is possible, but to do redo the queue system, new train and new hill system, I don't think that is likely. I believe they will close the MDMC food store for good, and put the museum (if that's what it will be) in there.

Also, DW have posted on their FB page that there is something special happening soon with the fairies (referring to the Fairytale Treasures stores). Wonder what could be happening.

Edited by themagician

Wait on Magician - T-bone has a point...

Looking at photos of the Brock experience - it's a big shed with cars on display. Redline's simulators take up about the same space as a real car - how many simulators are there? and how many Brock cars are coming? It would be easy to take the sims out, and put brock cars in - the railings etc are already in place...

Nobody said it had to be 'everything you can see in the Brock Experience shed... it'll be 'Brock Experience Lite' and feature maybe 6-8 cars? (not sure how many simulators they have)

Sure it doesn't fit with DW saying "major attraction"... but this IS Dreamworld... a park that calls MDMC a 'thrill', and considers a Zombie Apocalypse, a Racing Simulator, and a Rock Climbing Wall to fit "Ocean Parade"

^Yeah, that is a good point. But I do hope that its a little more than a few cars in a shed. 

Sure it doesn't fit with DW saying "major attraction"... but this IS Dreamworld... a park that calls MDMC a 'thrill', and considers a Zombie Apocalypse, a Racing Simulator, and a Rock Climbing Wall to fit "Ocean Parade"

I do agree with this, but I personally think the Evilution just passes with the theme, as it could be seen as a dockside building, and I'm fairly sure they removed the rock climbing wall (if I remember correctly from when I last visited).

I don't think there is much chance that cyclone will be re-themed to the v8 supercars. The ride is in ocean parade. Yes, they put Redline in there, but that was done when DW didn't really care that much. I can't see a major re-theme of the cyclone happening in a month. It is possible, but to do redo the queue system, new train and new hill system

I don't quite understand why a retheme of Cyclone is considered to be a new lift system, new train? Is there something operationally wrong about the existing lift hill mechanisms? Granted the trains are in a horrid cosmetic shape, but that's nothing that can't be fixed up in a small monthly refurb. Changing the trains "theme" can also be done at the same time with a plastic wrap (similar to what you see on buses and other public transport vehicles which have all over advertising). Queue line work, well, yes that requires a bit of work if the talk about it being rethemed is true, but if you truely think about it, the work required isn't really anything that can't be achieved in a month with a small team. We have to remember that the work such as re theming a queue line isn't done by in house maintenance employees...