2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

The Mexican food truck is up and running too. We bought tacos (2 for $9.90, they also have nachos and bottled softdrinks on offer) which weren't bad. My only complaint is that they didn't have a huge amount of filling, and therefore weren't very filling - we were still hungry afterwards. So I guess you could only consider them to be snack food. If they upped the amount of filling though, they would be great :)

tmp_10830-20150919_202442669217328.thumb

While it's admirable that Dreamworld are trying a different angle on it, it's surprising that after all these years of Fright Nights that this is how they decide to dip their toes in. Sea World tried the family angle on Halloween several years back. It evidently didn't work because it never came back. Meanwhile Fright Nights grew and grew into the month-long beast that it is now.

Fright Nights work because it's an adult-oriented scare-fest that has no real basis in traditional Halloween. Traditional Halloween is jack-o'-lanterns, trick-or-treating etc. and is a sight to behold if you've ever been in the American suburbs or on a rural farm with hay bale mazes, tractor rides etc. Even if Dreamworld pulled off that level of charm, could it ever foreseeably grow into the sort of money-spinning juggernaut that Fright Nights are?

Well I suppose DW have pulled some excellent things off over the years, so they probably could do it if they put there mind to it but competing against Movie worlds fright nights would be difficult and also all depends on whether or not people want to get into  holiday like that. As Richard said above Fright nights only work cause there an adult scare fest and don't cover the real basics of Halloween.   

Yeah I won't be going to that. I already have my ticket for Fright Nights on Halloween ?

I think a family event as a counter to Fright Nights could be great for Dreamworld. They're far better off going that angle than doing a competing scare event. Bring out the Dreamworks and ABC characters and you've got a scaled down version of what Disney does for Halloween.

True that. Fright Nights isn't suitable for under 14's... they have evolved past that. I know my 11 year old was initially disappointed to not be able to attend it with me. At least Dreamworld is appealing to the audiences that Movieworld is now choosing to alienate. Not that it's a bad thing to have MA15+ rated events, but ykwim!

Fright Nights work because it's an adult-oriented scare-fest that has no real basis in traditional Halloween.

I think that's a reason it hasn't been shunned in Australia like other Halloween based activities. Fright Nights is like a living horror film. While it's timing around Halloween is great, it was no other real roots back to Halloween (other than inspiration from HHN and Knott's, of course). No pumpkins, no trick-or-treating, just a scarily good time. 

Will this succeed? Could this be the one family event that continues? Or will this join the other events in Australia's Halloween mass grave? My money is the later...

If that's photoshopped i'll eat my hat.

I'm extremely confident that is a very real photo... and yes - it is quite scary.

On the few cycles i've done on that ride, it has always locked in upright well before landing. I have no idea how that could have happened. It's also an inside seat - so it would have taken quite an effort for him to get it spinning at any great rate of speed in order for the lock to have 'missed' it's home position in time.

ouch.

test.thumb.jpg.be3b4489bdfaccc6c5116dcef

Unless it locked it while the ride was at the top, which would put him upside down at the bottom.  The other option is whatever it rotates on broke, so it could not move back to the correct location to lock it in.    I do find it strange that the ride did not stop in the air when it failed to return to its location or a estop was not hit.  Could also be I don’t have a clue.   I’m going for that option.

Edited by skeetafly

And in other news, all the rubbish bins were emptied at the end of the day!

Sorry. I'm not normally sarcastic, but when I see stuff like this it makes me laugh!

Why does this make you laugh.  If you were stuck like this you would shit yourself.  I don’t think Dreamworld would have enough cleaners to clean up the mess pushbutton would leave behind.

Edited by skeetafly

but when I see stuff like this it makes me laugh!

So Push tell me, 

when you heard the news that two wheels came lose off the GL, would that be a funny experience?

how about The Simlier crash at Alton Towers? would you find it funny that one of the victims had to get their left legs amputated? 

as what Skeetafly said, what would happen if that was you, stuck upside down for fifteen minutes, would that be a funny experience? you should be lucky that didn't happen to you on Sunday Push 

Edited by The_Ninja_59

So Push tell me, 

when yyou heard the news that two wheels came lose off the GL, would that be a funny experience?

how about The Simlier crash at Alton Towers? would you find it funny that one of the victims had to get their left legs amputated? 

as what Skeetafly said, what would happen if that was you, stuck upside down for fifteen minutes, would that be a funny experience? you should be lucky that didn't happen to you on Sunday Push 

and I guess that's why I'm not normally sarcastic!