2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

1 hour ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

So I found the song that plays during the ride on the Hot Wheels SideWinder it's called "Bomfunk MC's Freestyler" if anyone is interested 

Ha... seriously??? That's so 1999. Man, I had their album when I was still a bloody teen ? You think Dreamworld would use something a bit more recent than a 16 year old drum & bass track that got milked to death at the time of its release ??

21 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

Ha... seriously??? That's so 1999. Man, I had their album when I was still a bloody teen ? You think Dreamworld would use something a bit more recent than a 16 year old drum & bass track that got milked to death at the time of its release ??

Hey at least it's better than Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae), playing :P 

Edited by The_Ninja_59

Okay sorry for not getting this up earlier, not sure whether this post goes in here because it's to do with 2015 stuff or in the 2016 thread.

The new Motorsports area has been done really well. It turns what was a corner of the park into a new central hub. I started off the day by doing the HWSW. The theming on this has been done very well, I was very impressed. The ride was a walkon since it was first up in the morning. The crates for loose items looked like they were thrown together really quickly, but at least it kinda went with the theme. The trains were very good, and I found the vest harness very comfortable. I did hear some of the larger guests complaining it was a bit too tight on them though. The roughness of the ride has been greatly reduced with these harnesses, there's no headbanging at all which is fantastic, although there's still the rough transitions that the park really couldn't have done anything about. So no, it's not perfect, but if you can handle a few sharp transitions then it won't hurt you. The music wasn't my type of music, but I think it still worked well with the ride. I also felt that the train was moving a lot faster than I remember it before the refurb.

The trackside retail outlet looked like it was thrown together quickly, and the Brock museum was empty. It was the start of the day when I checked, so more people might've checked it out as the day progressed.

The rest of the day was great too. Wipeout, Claw, Pandamonium, and Giant Drop were all walk-ons, and ToTII was a 10-minute wait. Buzzsaw, the Rapids, the Log Flume, and WWW's slides were all quite a bit longer.

Photos will go up soon.

On 12/26/2015 at 0:03 PM, XxMrYoshixX said:

I thought it was illegal for Australian theme parks to sell alcohol, being family friendly places.

Its great to hear that Cyclone has become better. I am looking forward to trying it out myself. Are the cobwebs still in the station or did DW clean them up?

What about the Dirty Harry bar, Dockside Tavern, Bite me at WWW, the bar at Aussie world and so on?

In my honest opinion, I don't think changing the track would do much difference to help make the ride look more visually appealing.

Each individual car is a different bright colour, which makes it very hard to have a cohesive colour scheme. If they have a colour scheme based on the red lead car, while it would match the green car, all the others would still clash.  Same goes for all the other cars as well. 

The best possible scenario would be going for a white or silver colour scheme for the track, but even then I don't think it'll be perfect. Actually, I think that summarises the Cyclone/Sidewinder pretty well; it will never be perfect and we're always going to find fault.

Hot Wheels sets seem to generally feature orange track and dark blue supports. I suspect it was debated, with yellow and light blue is basically the same thing winning the argument for a relatively low-budget project at a park that has historically favoured economy over aesthetic.

The ride's paint has held up remarkably well over 15 years; you only need to look at how Superman Escape had faded or how Thunderbolt was looking after a similar length of time between paint jobs.

The real puzzling thing is that though it might not have needed the work done right now, but moving inevitable maintenance work forward a few years could have really made the transition far more noteworth, and the new theme far more recognisable.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Hot Wheels sets seem to generally feature orange track and dark blue supports. I suspect it was debated, with yellow and light blue is basically the same thing winning the argument for a relatively low-budget project at a park that has historically favoured economy over aesthetic.

The ride's paint has held up remarkably well over 15 years; you only need to look at how Superman Escape had faded or how Thunderbolt was looking after a similar length of time between paint jobs.

The real puzzling thing is that though it might not have needed the work done right now, but moving inevitable maintenance work forward a few years could have really made the transition far more noteworth, and the new theme far more recognisable.

Couldn't agree more, but there is some rust on the track, predominately on the loop, but in other places as well. The photos taken here show. Still, pretty good considering it hasn't been painted since 2001 (or even 1995, the old Big Dipper was the same colour of track)

On 1/3/2016 at 1:18 PM, Santa07 said:

SAM_5203.JPG

SAM_5208.JPG

Is it just me or does the new trains remind me of the Dragon at Ocean Park Hong Kong? Or the ones on the old Thunderbolt? Do the old Thunderbolt trains even exist anymore?

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

1 hour ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Couldn't agree more, but there is some rust on the track, predominately on the loop, but in other places as well. The photos taken here show. Still, pretty good considering it hasn't been painted since 2001 (or even 1995, the old Big Dipper was the same colour of track)

It's definitely not in pristine condition by any means... but has certainly held up better than just about every factory painted ride built here since its relocation to Dreamworld. Track and supports were fully repainted in 2001 -- the track is a brighter shade of yellow.

For what it's worth, Corkscrew at Sea World is an example of a ride kept immaculate with regular touch-ups and many complete repaints throughout its life. Granted it was in the ride's best interests given the exposure to sea air, but it is certainly an achievable process that is a regular occurrence on steel coasters around the world. A once-in-15-years repaint isn't quite the impossible feat or unnecessary burden that some have suggested.

Restrictions and changes in coatings (well, what they contain) no doubt is an issue now days too. Something that provides corrosive resistance, rust protection, is UV stable and weatherproof, without containing something that can kill you or is banned, AND will last 10-15 years in our harsh climate is probably getting difficult to find.

Dreamworld just posted this. 

That DJ. Wow. Waving their hands in the air, headphones that don't even have a cord plugged into the mixer. HA! From a DJ's perspective, that is a load of rubbish ? 

DJ aside, the show actually looks awesome! Amazing lights & effects. Those $40 tickets with dinner is looking very tempting I might say ?. I think the extended hours is a great idea from Dreamworld. Hope they continue this next summer or even better, every school holidays.