Disney exploring Australia as a Resort option again?

Mort

Now I'm gonna say upfront this is not a rumour or anything but just something I have noticed happening.

I get the feeling Disney has been putting its feelers into the Australian market a little to see how much interest there is in the products.

For example, there was a Mickey and Minnie Meet and Greet at the Melbourne Show this year and alot of Disney merchandise. Disney has also sponsored the sand castles down in Frankston and they are all Disney, Star Wars and Marvel. They also were doing something at David Jones in Melbourne over Christmas as I saw alot of people with Mickey Ear Headbands on.

It just seems strange to me that all of a sudden disney would do a Mickey and Minnie meet and greet at the Melbourne Show when they have never done it before.

Thoughts?

It's a nice thought... and an interesting one.

Disney has long held a presence in Australia - be it through the Disney Store retail outlets, Disney pay TV channels, and even shows on free to air channels like Saturday Disney and The Wonderful World of Disney.

I feel like Disney would be better suited to a Disney Vacation Club location somewhere in AUS, rather than a theme park, and the merits of a Disney Theme Park in AUS have long been debated, and in my view - settled. Australia cannot support a theme park of Disney's calibre at this time simply due to distance and our population...

So they may be looking at a resort style DVC - but I don't think Melbourne would be quite the right fit for it... I could see them doing something resort worthy in NSW, QLD or NT... only time will tell though I guess...

For what it's worth Disneyland offers 10 day park hopper tickets through travel agents in Australia and New Zealand only. They have had a presence over here for a while because of the way our dollar has been (even though it isn't as strong now as it has been over the past few years).

I still believe that we could eventually become a new port for Disney Cruises with an Aulani type resort on the QLD coast. Couldn't see them going too far south as the weather isn't as tropical all year round.

They have also been directly marketing the Anaheim park to the Australian market so it may just be increasing their brand awereness in the market in support of that campaign.

This is true - it is, after all - Disneyland's 60th Anniversary this year... perhaps the marketing relates to another big anniversary year...

Not even that, I just figure Disney are probably the only ones with the finance and the know-how to make it what it should be.

Whilst that may be the case - their track record for "buying old and making new" rather than "building from the ground up" suggests it is extremely unlikely that would ever happen... besides - there are a lot more parks a lot closer to their central management structure that they could acquire and operate far cheaper... it's a dream (pardon the pun) that will never happen.

Yes JacobSibbald that's very true. I have a friend that works as a Cast Member at DL CA & has been with them for years. He has told me that Aussie make up a VERY large number of guests visiting each year. With regards to Disney opening anything here, I doubt anything other than a DVC destination would happen anytime soon. I would LOVE to see a park so I will keep on Believing in the Magic ( as they say ) :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to go to a Disney Park, and as much as I'd love to my parents don't get enough money in to afford a trip to the U.S. and go to the parks in both California and Florida.

It would be a dream come true if Disney bought out Dreamworld, or if they constructed a small park for the Australian tourism. Doesn't have to be an extremely large park with an elaborate setup like the U.S. Parks, but enough to keep the residents of Australia entertained and help boost the Australian Tourism!!

A Disney resort will too, be a great way to boost tourism, especially with the Disney name and brand behind it.

We all wish for a Disney Park to be constructed here in Aus, but we would all have to wait and see where this is going.

I've seen some vids. And pics. And it looks pretty cool. But what I'm trying to say by that, America loves quality and they show that in their theme parks and the number of successful theme parks prove this!!

yes but the quality of the parks, both rides, theme, and service varies widely in the US...

From what I understand - the level of quality and service at TDS is hard to beat.

I've always wanted to go to a Disney Park, and as much as I'd love to my parents don't get enough money in to afford a trip to the U.S. and go to the parks in both California and Florida.

If your username has 1997 in it, that suggests you are pretty close to being 18, which means:

-You have been old enough to have a part time job for a few years to save your own money.

-Sometime this year you'd be able to head overseas without too many impediments, funded by yourself and start visting these places.

Granted, car hire in the US is prohibitiley expensive for under 25s due to surcharges, which might make some parks in the US difficult to get to, but certainly:

-The cluster of parks in LA

-The cluster of parks in Orlando

-European ones

-Japanese parks

-and even good ones reasonably on our doorstep (Universal Singapore, HK Disney)

Are more than achievable for a young traveller without a car.

If your username has 1997 in it, that suggests you are pretty close to being 18, which means:

-You have been old enough to have a part time job for a few years to save your own money.

Yes. I'm turning 18 this year. And yes I have a part time job... At Hungry Jacks. I get $11 an hour, and with school, I'm only allowed to work weekends, so I only get rostered for 9 - 10 hours a week. And as well as, that I have to put half of my pay each week into a seperate bank account as 'board'. :( it took me ages to save up for my phone. That cost $600. :/

So I don't think I'm going to be traveling any time soon :/