Gold Coast vs Orlando parks

DisneyDoll

I absolutely agree with Alex, Orlando has theme parks that are the best in the world IMHO. I’ve been twice & the last time we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge which was simply amazing. We were there at WDW for 8 days & still didn’t see everything. We took a day just to go to see what each resort looked like, this way we could sample dining & the uniqueness of all the accommodation on offer, something I strongly recommend to anyone going there.

Then, as mentioned before is Universal Studios & IOA.. I have to say that IOA was beyond spectacular, it had such a vast selection of both family & thrill rides all beautifully themed. You could easily spend 2 days each in these parks. I’m afraid we are a little behind with regards that type destination here….This may change one day but I'll probably be too old to to do them LOL

Your correct Alex, it was meant for the Aussie World thread where someone mentioned that our parks here are equal to the ones in Orlando.

I was the one that said something along those lines, and you're misquoting me.

What I said was that the Gold Coast parks present a very real alternative to Orlando.

I stand by that; if you want a few good coasters and parks in the sunshine in an area that's not too crowded then you could do far worse.

Edited by Noxegon

Noxegon…Your right I did misquote you but it wasn’t done intentionally. With regards to the parks being less crowded then naturally, as we don’t have the population here as in the USA & I would imagine not as many tourists either. I personally avoid DW, MW & SW during the school holidays as I don’t believe they are worth waiting the extra time in the queues. If you are going to be here in two weeks’ time & visit these parks you will see what I mean. You may think that the Gold Coast parks present a very real alternative & that is your opinion which you are entitled to have. My opinion is that they are overpriced, have rude staff, close too early & don’t have enough rides but as I said, that is my opinion. Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful time here & I meant no disrespect with my comments

Edited by DisneyDoll

Noxegon…Your right I did misquote you but it wasn’t done intentionally. With regards to the parks being less crowded then naturally, as we don’t have the population here as in the USA & I would imagine not as many tourists either. I personally avoid DW, MW & SW during the school holidays as I don’t believe they are worth waiting the extra time in the queues. If you are going to be here in two weeks’ time & visit these parks you will see what I mean. You may think that the Gold Coast parks present a very real alternative & that is your opinion which you are entitled to have. My opinion is that they are overpriced, have rude staff, close too early & don’t have enough rides but as I said, that is my opinion. Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful time here & I meant no disrespect with my comments

No offence taken.

I guess that a lot of people here are very familiar with the Gold Coast parks, and dare I say it, a little jaded by them?

For me I've been twice, and I've had a great time on both occasions. I've also been to Orlando quite a bit, and honestly, I've had more fun in Australia. Does that perhaps help to explain where I'm coming from?

I do remember getting slightly cheesed off at not being allowed to wear my glasses with strap on Superman, but apart from that I don't remember having to deal with rude staff...

Yes, I imagine we could be a little jaded by our parks here & I'm glad that neither of you have had to deal with rude staff however, I have had several bad experiences.

Once when I rode Arkham Asylum with a friend, she commented to a staff member when he was checking the train prior to dispatch how the restraint’s had changed since she rode it when it was called Lethal Weapon. There was nothing nasty about what she said or…the way she said it but to have him roll his eyes & sarcastically say “ are you THAT old “ was just uncalled for.

Then one day on Wild Wild West I was about to stand up to exit the log & the guy on the loading platform commented on how he could see my breasts thru my wet top ( I said that much nicer than how her did ) Now just because I am 180 cms tall & have blonde hair doesn’t make me a bimbo that would casually laugh off a remark like that. I was extremely embarrassed & felt it totally inappropriate.

I went to guest relations to complain about the wet top comment & I was not offered any apology, the woman behind the counter just looked at me blankly & said that she could not imagine a staff member saying something like that to a guest….I then said to her Guess what?...Neither could I till it happened!!!!!...I left the park in disgust.

My brother & his 11 year old son stood in line for more than an hour for the Tower Of Terror July last year. I thought it was a bit suspicious as I couldn’t hear it running for about 40 mins, then a worker came in & said, Oh…it’s down right now. Now this had obviously occurred way before they thought that they should tell their guests & when my brother politely questioned him about it he just shrugged his shoulders as if he couldn’t care less. It was his son's first visit to DW & he desperately wanted to ride TOT, it was down the rest of the day.

I was about to board Thunder River Rapids I could clearly hear two staff member’s laughing & discussing the size of a guest & how the raft may capsize due to his weight. If they want to poke fun of the very people whose admission prices pay their wages then IMHO they are in the wrong job....I have never experienced anything like this at parks overseas.

On the first point though on sarcastically saying "are you that old" about the restraints comment. That's called humour & guest interaction.

I can assume that may have been what was intended by the staff, however what one person finds funny can be taken as extremely rude and un-called for by others.

Who cares if you still have always had good interactions with staff? It obviously still happens.

I've had some unpleasant interactions with staff members who seem to be just as fed up with the no loose items policy as we all are. I've also had an awkward/careless interaction with a cast member when I was doing Magic Kingdom alone, who screamed "ONE PERSON!? IS THAT ALL!?" in front of everyone behind me, leaving me significantly embarrassed.

Brad, I have been to many these parks all over the world so you are just going to need to trust me when I say it was not humour or customer interaction. Had you been there & heard the tone he used, you would agree.

The Arkham Asylum ops are basically actors. They are supposed to be mental asylum patients. They are bound to say some edgy things and seem quite serious when they say them.