Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion

rappa

Boom... get rekt... (sorry)

In all seriousness though it does look like this relatively new management that has taken over (or its the same management just a change of heart maybe?) is actually starting to care about some of its older and beloved attractions in the park... except of course for... you know... the train... and the.... ahhhh... Paddle Steamer... :(

But their decision to do a complete referb of the Wipeout I'm sure wasn't a decision completely based around finances... I'd like to think that Dreamworld actually listens to their customers and values their opinion (Instead of just saying they do) After all that would be the smartest decision.

Whether this referb of Eureka Mountain actually happens soon? I'm not entirely convinced yet... Sometime in the future though? most definitely... they cant let it rot for another decade... can they? :(

I just hope that these "2 BIG NEW ATTRACTIONS!" are actually something new not only to Dreamworld but also that we haven't seen in Australia... personally I would like to see 1 really good attraction like a proper simulator... that utilises the standard of theming they have at American parks... something like Star Tours at Disney or the Back to the Future Ride at Universal Studios ... but I'm sure the people here would just tell me I'm dreaming ;)

I'm longing for something that actually makes you feel like your having an adventure! I'm kinda past the age where I like getting my fill of G-forces from the most thrilling of rides.... I want something that puts you in the story... Like the rock in roller coaster, space mountain, Jurassic Park ride, and the others I mentioned above... I think you guys understand what I mean :) They have a Dreamworks affiliation now... start utilising the franchise to it's full ability.. there are a number of films that I would love to see a themed ride be made of... and not just see some short films in a cinema...

Boom... get rekt... (sorry)

In all seriousness though it does look like this relatively new management that has taken over (or its the same management just a change of heart maybe?) is actually starting to care about some of its older and beloved attractions in the park... except of course for... you know... the train... and the.... ahhhh... Paddle Steamer... :(

But their decision to do a complete referb of the Wipeout I'm sure wasn't a decision completely based around finances... I'd like to think that Dreamworld actually listens to their customers and values their opinion (Instead of just saying they do) After all that would be the smartest decision.

Whether this referb of Eureka Mountain actually happens soon? I'm not entirely convinced yet... Sometime in the future though? most definitely... they cant let it rot for another decade... can they? :(

I just hope that these "2 BIG NEW ATTRACTIONS!" are actually something new not only to Dreamworld but also that we haven't seen in Australia... personally I would like to see 1 really good attraction like a proper simulator... that utilises the standard of theming they have at American parks... something like Star Tours at Disney or the Back to the Future Ride at Universal Studios ... but I'm sure the people here would just tell me I'm dreaming ;)

I'm longing for something that actually makes you feel like your having an adventure! I'm kinda past the age where I like getting my fill of G-forces from the most thrilling of rides.... I want something that puts you in the story... Like the rock in roller coaster, space mountain, Jurassic Park ride, and the others I mentioned above... I think you guys understand what I mean :) They have a Dreamworks affiliation now... start utilising the franchise to it's full ability.. there are a number of films that I would love to see a themed ride be made of... and not just see some short films in a cinema...

All that sounds BRILLIANT to me.

I visited London a few years ago and went to the Doctor Who Experience. Google it to get an idea what it is. Basically an exhibition of Doctor Who but with an interactive experience too. This included a couple of well themed ride components (inside the Tardis), and used a combination of live actors, animatronics, and filmed sequences featuring the current Doctor Who cast, and various special effects.. That's something I'd LOVE to see in the Gold Coast, and Dreamworld would be a perfect spot for it!

Or (and I know I've posted this before) something like this video by theme park review shows.

or this

Edited by pushbutton

Personally I just hope the two new rides aren't flat rides. I think DW has enough of those! Especially the "spinny" type (Pandamonium, tailspin, Shockwave, claw etc) which I am not a fan of. I have trouble enjoying rides that purely induce vomit factor on fast and continuous spinning/circling alone :/

I visited London a few years ago and went to the Doctor Who Experience. Google it to get an idea what it is. Basically an exhibition of Doctor Who but with an interactive experience too. This included a couple of well themed ride components (inside the Tardis), and used a combination of live actors, animatronics, and filmed sequences featuring the current Doctor Who cast, and various special effects.. That's something I'd LOVE to see in the Gold Coast, and Dreamworld would be a perfect spot for it!

Omg, I'm so jealous. I'm a huge Whovian and would LOVE to do the Doctor Who experience, have wanted to do so for a while now! If only I could afford a trip to the UK.... *sigh*

Wow, this has been such a great topic. I have sorely missed the Eureka Mine Ride as soon as I heard they had permanently closed it and every time I go to Dreamworld I always look at it and remember how awesome it was. Whoever tooks those pictures of inside the ride is an absolute boss, it's so crazy to see the skeleton and the trapped miner again after all these years, and lit up too. I hated how they added stuff to the mountain in the later years in an effort to make the ride fully undecover. The foam/fibreglass stuff looks horrible compared to the original concrete-rendered mountain... At least I think it's concrete rendered. When you touch or bang the old stuff with your hand it feels solid but when you do the same to the new stuff it feels hollow and makes a sound. The new stuff looked too fake to me as well and the colour was too bright for it to look realisitc. One thing I should mention, on one of my last ever rides on Eureka, I remember on the home stretch I had my hands up and I had scraped the newly-added mountain facade with my fingertips. Needless to say I was a bit shocked that happened so maybe when it comes to getting the ride back up to scratch with modern safety regulations, there will have to be a lot of leeway between the ridecar and the mountain facade or prevent people from being able to stick their hands out I guess.

I feel like I'm missing something here... we're looking at a real car with real water test dummies. There is ongoing work happening on the ride and that position on the track is where cars come to a stop at the end of the course.

Jokes about them actually doing something to the ride after all these years as opposed to just aiding the rumours as to what's happening with the ride.

I feel like I'm missing something here... we're looking at a real car with real water test dummies. There is ongoing work happening on the ride and that position on the track is where cars come to a stop at the end of the course.

I dunno, Richard... my automatic conclusion is that they are messing with us, because it seemed too obvious. I mean that's exactly what all of us *want* to see, in broad daylight, right in the public's view. A mine cart full of water dummies at the ride station. And heaven knows they are very aware that all of us are watching their every move with that ride with baited breath lol. They know of they move anything, we are certainly gonna notice!

It would seem like a good opportunity to muck with our heads a bit and give us something new to talk about (which it has, as this topic has been dead with no replies for the past week)

BUT in saying that, even if they are playing with us, I think it's still a good sign. I don't think Dreamworld are cold enough to stuff around with our hope and excitement like that if they have no intention of doing anything with the Eureka. And I don't think they would waste their time doing something like that, dragging a mine cart all the way out of storage.

So I still see it as them teasing us with a "spoiler" of such? I'm certainly not disheartened in any way, but it did make me laugh either way :-p

Sorry just thought I would add... I posted in the other DW thread about a discussion with a employee today, they said that (after eavesdropping on a discussion between managers) the icecream parlour which backs onto the mine ride mountain is apparently scheduled to be removed.

I mentioned this later on to an older friend of mine,,who reckons that back when Eureka used to be functional, he knew about a problem with the 'flooding' part of the ride - whilst the flood part of the ride was intentional, water used to unintentionally leak and into the icecream parlour and regularly cause flooding issues.

Can anyone confirm this?

If it is true, and with this new speculation that the icecream shop is (allegedly) being demolished, is it just me who is now thinking this may be another major sign that the Eureka is most certainly on it's way back to us? :)

Is there only 2 test dummy's in that cart? Wasn't this a 4 seater? Correct me if I'm wrong ?

Pretty sure it was only 2 dummies I saw in the cart. It was hard to see from a distance! That darned sideshow out the front was running, so was hard to sticky beak properly around that area at the time lol.

I think I remember the carts holding 4 people at a time as well.

Edited by OceanGirl

The test dummies aren't typically to simulate the weight of a full car of riders but rather to provide enough weight to ensure that the cars have enough momentum to make it around the track. Two has evidently been deemed sufficient for Eureka Mountain.

I think you'd be reading too much into it all if you think they're strategically putting cars on the track to try and get a rise from Internet followers. It is what it is.

And if that ride was actually dead and destined to never return I really doubt the cars would just be sitting on the track somewhere ready to wheel out to mess with enthusiasts.

And it's not like they will actually invest the time to dig out a car, hoist it onto the track and all that for a publicity stunt.

And it's not like they will actually invest the time to dig out a car, hoist it onto the track and all that for a publicity stunt.

Exactly.

Besides, why would they do something to "mess with people" if they had no intention of reopening the ride?

That just leads to eventual disappointment by the public, and seems counter productive....When parks have SBNO attractions they tend to hide them from view, erase them from park maps etc so they aren't front and center in the minds of the public and more easily "forgotten".

The test dummies aren't typically to simulate the weight of a full car of riders but rather to provide enough weight to ensure that the cars have enough momentum to make it around the track. Two has evidently been deemed sufficient for Eureka Mountain.

Makes sense now that I think about it! Thanks for clearing that up :)

• Richard changed the title to Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion