Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion

rappa

Yeah, maybe. They may have intended to renovate it for continued use, but then changed their minds and decided to put their money and efforts into the construction of Whitewater World instead.

WWW opened in 2006, the same year that Eureka closed, did it not? Although I do recall the ride being "temporarily" closed for quite some time....

PS. Welcome to the forums Buzzkill and dbo121 :)

The Mine Ride was one of the only rides as a kid I was too afraid to go on, which makes me even more grateful that I finally wanted to ride it in 2006 and rode it twice, it was in the afternoon so we had to leave. I loved it so much that it became one of my top rides and DW and wanted to ride it again the next time I went (I had a pass). Unfortunately the next time I was there, it was closed.

I unknowingly rode it mere months before it closed (I think it was August/September) and I'm so happy I made the choice to experience it and I would love to see it return

Edited by coasterdude44

Upon further reading that info was already known! It would have been down to cost v benefit at that time. Spending the capital on the control system for a short term gain does not appear completely logical to do. Especially when the ride was closed 2 years thereafter.(they should of known the expected remaining life). In 2004 capex was being spent on the claw and visitor numbers expected to grow from that alone. Why bother upgrading the control system then? It could of been closed earlier. Therefore i suspect it was closed for structural or safety reasons. But the structural reasons should have been forseen. Both could be fixed if the benefit v cost stacks up. New management equals new assumptions...

Www opened in 2006 but was planed capex wise years in advance..before 2003.....

Edited by dbo121

TBH I'm not really fussed about under what circumstances the ride originally closed... I'm just basically riding the hype like everyone else ATM haha

I wonder what the staff at Dreamworld think when they read these forums (I'm assuming they have seen these forums)... They are probably sitting there with popcorn going "let the hype begin..."

EDIT: Sorry... Had to be done

48436443.jpg
/ Dreamworld Staff/Executives

Edited by BTTF Forever

I thought i remember someone saying way back in the day When it first closed and this was mention by a member back in 2006 on

roller-coaster.com.au was that...

The track and supports needed replacement and the compeny that built the track system was no longer in business and to have a new compeny build an Entirely new track would mean a lot of the Mountain would need demolishing and to be rebuilt to support the new track and that it was goner cost way Beyond what dreaming where willing to pay to get the ride back up and running to there safety standards. So they left it to rust and hope to one day have the finances to remove the ride or restore it to its formal glory.

But that's all from what I remember from a member posting who worked at dreamworld when Eureka first closed.

"Could have been a totally different reason too."

My understanding of it (and I honestly can't remember where I heard this) was that the lift chain (or something to do with the lift hill system) was needing parts that could no longer be sourced and that replacing them was too greater cost than what the park was willing to accept at the time.

I have no idea if that's true or not, but it seems feasible.

I guess that's the thing isn't it... Nobody actually has solid proof of why EXACTLY it was closed... for all we know it was probably a number of reasons combined, Unless there is someone on this forum who previously maintained the mine ride during its final years... I guess we will never know unless someone goes and does a proper interview with some Dreamworld staff

Does anyone remember when it first opened it was 2 riders per cart. I thought I was thinking of something else until I found this old commercial today. I stand to be corrected but I also believe the track layout was different when it first opened.

From my memory where you can see it falling apart was in fact a patch to cover a tunnel that was filled in when the track was changed.

0beb8ea8213fe40d99084e099aeacd67.JPG

I would go to say when they changed the carts and layout I think by the photos shown they replaced the whole track.

post-1321-0-83899400-1423530476_thumb.jp

post-1321-0-17184000-1423530583_thumb.jp

Edited by skeetafly

If it was financially plausible to just knock down the ride and facade, it probably would have happened already.

It's been spoken about previously that the mountain is likely riddled with asbestos, and removal would be a very slow process which would likely involve closure of the surrounding areas during removal including Buzzsaw and the Rapids.

If it was financially plausible to just knock down the ride and facade, it probably would have happened already.

It's been spoken about previously that the mountain is likely riddled with asbestos, and removal would be a very slow process which would likely involve closure of the surrounding areas during removal including Buzzsaw and the Rapids.

I don't buy that it is riddled with asbestos. Avalanche mountain was removed with no problems. Not saying saying they where made from the same stuff. If it is full of asbestos then dreamworld would have sealed it in a way to stop it falling apart to protect its staff and guest. Your telling me it's full of asbestos that is falling apart and dreamworld are allowing staff to work under it.

Asbestos is only released when the fibre fabrics are crush or ruptured, ie, in demolition.

The old Gold Coast Hospital is a case in point. It is needing to be demolished in segments to avoid asbestos effecting the surrounding area. It is absolutely riddled with it. Didn't stop tens of thousands of patients and staff being inside it before demo.

• Richard changed the title to Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion