Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion

rappa

Agreed. It's not pessimistic - it's just being realistic.

Speculating about what, and how much work is needed to bring it back to code is just enthusiasts talking 'shop'.

Those saying things like 'nothing's concrete until we see concrete' are absolutely within their rights to make that statement *cough* wild *cough*.

Pushbutton - you yourself seem overly pessimistic towards others on these boards. You're the first one to complain when everything isn't going fairybread and pink lemonade - regardless of whether it is directed at you or not.

We'll just have to wait and see. Keep an eye out those who are in the park regularly. You may be the first to report a test run!

It might not be council DA the public can see though. The building alterations might go through an independent certifier.

It would never be a DA approval. It would be a BA approval. Yes the BA approval gets done privately but once it has been signed off it is sent to council to be archived.

But details don't have to be made public like a DA. It's why you'll find Green Lantern public but nothing about Arkham or Mini Driving School. If they utilise an existing space that has previously had a DA over it, it isn't required to go thru the same approval process

Edited by Brad2912

We'll just have to wait and see. Keep an eye out those who are in the park regularly. You may be the first to report a test run!

That's pretty much it. In case anyone is unsure about the status of the project, it's a fact that Dreamworld are working on the attraction. Whether it will result in its opening is another matter and where the wait and see game is.

I'm not an architect, an engineer, nor do I work for the council. All I know if when I've checked the PD online area for GC council I've used the DA link to search.

What you have just posted is clearly from a section I'm not looking in, where/what links are you using?

You need to use your imagination sometimes when you’re looking this stuff up. It depends at the time what the junior at council decides what to put it under and it also depends what was written on the application. An example would be sometime looking up Dreamworld you would search Dreamworld but at other times it is under Ardent Leisure. It all just comes down what is written as the applicant on the form or what the office Junior puts it under. "MOVIEWORLD OR MOVIE WORLD"

In saying all that whoever DW use for the building approvals seem to take a long time to get that information to council for them to load onto pd online. You can see under Ardent Leisure it is showing that the fit out to the big brother house was not shown as approved to after big brother had finished filming.

And finally a lot if things are filed into the wrong area. If you pull up Ardent Leisure again you will see an operation works order which has nothing to do with DW but is for the new Coomera Town Centre next door.

The best way to look this stuff up is by the real property description. For MW it would be RPD: LOT 6 SP118653. DW goes over a few lots so you need to look each one up.

Richard is right we will just have to wait and see what is going to happen and if you are going to use the pd online system then you are likely to miss the opening.

Edited by skeetafly

Ardent sold off some of DW's land to Westfield's/QLD State Govt for development of the Town Centre which may explain why it is linked into Ardent

When DW sold the land to Westfield the parcel of land was given new lot number. Council linked it too Dreamworld lot instead of the new lot number.

I'm hoping after they finish the testing this ride they find it not worth it and pull the thing down and replace it with something else.

I know a lot of people who never rode it are excited about it getting reopened but it was never a great ride.

Yes I do agree it fits in nicely from the outside but that’s where it stops for me. Inside it might as well be in a shed. It has 1 themed bit “Watch out she’s going to blow” but the rest of the internal ride was in the dark.

Hey Richard what do you remember about the people that lived in the Gold Rush Country when it first opened?

I definitely wouldn't be happy if they demolished Eureka Mountain, unless they replaced it with a new dark ride. To me personally dark rides give the opportunity to do vastly superior theming and to create immersive environments where you can escape into a fantasy world (which is what theme parks are all about).

Bermuda Triangle at Sea World was in my opinion the best ride on the Gold Coast, and it was replaced by Storm which is essentially just a roller coaster where you get wet!

Can't believe I didn't remember this sooner... this old ad from 1991 shows the mine ride with the new "Tube" rails going down the bunny hop and up the other side before it was covered over... and there also some smoke in the background?

Skip to 21 seconds

http://youtu.be/eMgXRzIQ6TM

So is it true the layout and track style of Eureka was changed very early on in the rides operating years? This was 1991 so the layout was changed between 1986 when it opened and 1991. Can someone tell me why they thought it was necessary to change the layout and ride vehicle (2 carts with 2 seats each to just 1 that holds 4)

1988 is almost certainly the year that Eureka Mountain was replaced.

A 1988 TVC shows the old ride system (this is likely 1987 or 1986 footage of the ride):

A 1989 TVC (advertising Mothers Day so certainly first half of 1989) shows the new ride system:

On top of this, some sources claim 1988 as the ride's opening year -- though we know for certain it debuted in 1986 with the rest of Gold Rush Country. The most reasonable explanation for this is that some investigation in the past has pointed to 1988 as the year that HyFab built a new version of the ride to replace the original wild mouse coaster that opened in 1986.

As for why it was replaced? The most likely scenario (as I explained a few pages back) is that the original ride was a B.A. Schiff & Associates model from the US built in the 1960s when this company was active. The technology on this style of ride has more in common with pre-WWII wooden coasters than that of a modern 1980s steel coaster. I'd say they wouldn't need to look too far for reasons to replace it, and evidently management at the time decided it was better to quickly replace it with a modern version rather than let it sit there and rot.

• Richard changed the title to Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion