Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion

rappa

Inside the Mine Ride from a few months ago

post-29384-0-88003700-1423047403_thumb.j You can see that they did use it as storage area when the ride just stood there

anyways I heard that DW is planning to open two attractions this year, if that's the case that's awesome!

I used that photo back in the 2014 for Dreamworld topic If some of you guys remember :)

I just found these reviews of the ride, which I find explain why the ride was so good. (Review link: http://coaster-ratings.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/eureka-mountain-mine-ride-dreamworld.html)

Sally says:

Ahhh the Eureka Mountain Mine Train will always be a favourite of mine, even though it is no more. Although my first memory of this ride is being dragged on it by Alison totally against my will kicking and screaming. I wish this was an exaggeration but it really isn't. I was howling at the top of my lungs all the way to the loading station where the poor attendant let me exit via the chickens gate. The second ride was a lot more successful. I loved this ride and I still remember the delicious smell of those dark wet caves to this day. It was rough, clanky, dark, a little scary and very painful. The first hill you go up was always a bit jerky but there was dynamite all around and the heat and ticking would distract you from any discomfort you were feeling.
You would then go around sharp corners, up and down small but steep hills in the dark and at one part swung outside. The part where you swung outside the caves onto a high ledge was always my favourite part as it always felt like you were going to tip right over into the water raft ride below. The restraints were similar to car seat belts and every time you went around a corner the click in plug bit would stab you in the side. I have such wonderful memories of this ride that it was quite sad to walk past the empty structure on our last trip.
I would give it a 9/10 for younger riders
Alison says: I know this ride is long gone. But I couldn't resist putting it in here as it was a classic ride that we spent hours and hours on as children. How themed rides should be, you were loaded into mine cars, and then you went up a clackity old lift hill which took you inside the mountain. The noise of the lift hill (also the first part where it grabbed your car and you had to lean forward or risk getting thrown against the back of the car) combined with the smell and darkness were so exciting. When you got to the top of the lift hill it was a fast paced ride through great themes and parts in complete darkness. You would swing around one dark corner to find yourself face to face with a glowing skeleton, suddenly drop or turn right into darkness again to find the next delightful piece of scenery. Occasionally you would exit the mountain for a corner which had you convinved you were about to get toppled off the track down into the lake below. The ride went through several sharp corners and small drops, all of which had you being thrown around the cart laughing hysterically and trying not to injure your riding partner. Lots of cars were on the track at the same time, so you would hear the screams and noises from other cars, all adding to the excitment. such a great ride, I'm sad we'll never get to ride it again.
Score: 10/10 (for younger riders).
Edited by themagician

Someone asked DW on their FB about taking GoPros on rides and it turns out that you are allowed to, but there are limitations.

GoPro's are NOT permitted on Big 9, they are now permitted on other Dreamworld rides, provided it is fixed directly on the guests, the attachment is secure, and has not been altered in any way.GoPro that are placed on a guests head/hat or the end of a stick are not permitted on rides. GoPro's are not permitted on any of our slides.

In the wake of the paddle steamer being permanently removed from Dreamworld, am I the only one who really thinks the park could benefit from putting some kind of feature on the island in the middle of the creek? It seems weird to me, having a big unused area right in the center of a theme park :huh:

Does anybody remember the Adventure Island that Sea World used to have back in the 80's, that was accessed via ferry?

http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/ride.php?rid=136

It was a big playground area and a fort made from logs and ropes etc. amongst the bush, so it still fit in with the "wild/nature" theme. Kids used to love it - including me lol. I reckon something like that would be PERFECT for that DW island! Especially since they still have a suspension bridge that goes across at the back... all they would need to do is strengthen it a bit with steel rope or something and add some netting to make it safe for people (esp. kids) to cross.

What do you guys reckon?

Edited by OceanGirl

Can not wait to ride this again one time me and my sister rode the mine ride 5 times in the one day of going to dreamworld.

I remember the first time I ever got to riding the mine ride I had nightmares for a couple of days of The Skelton's and dynamite blowing up.

Hands down I would still to this day say that the "Eureka mine ride" would be funnest and best ride compared to all the other rides in the park today, that's how good of a ride this was back in the day...

I think nostalgia & your age at the time of riding has got the better of you jake.

No doubt a fun and memorable ride, but certainly not better than other park offerings.

I'd love to see it restored and updated theme wise if there is indeed any truth to this rumour. The demand or interest is significant enough that a couple of water dummies sitting on a station had people in a frenzy!

If it re-opens Id love to see Dreamworld incorporate the word 'Funnest' into the slogan.

IMO i doubt Eureka is reopening. It's been shut for 10 years, repairing the ride would be expensive, the mountain is deteriorating, sorry. I dont think its happening.

1. I respectfully disagree... We already have multiple examples of people on this forum asking staff and in reply getting an almost unanimous "not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN" So it sounds like if multiple staff have confirmed this than the big boys upstairs (in the clocktower lol) have already made the decision months ago to start the 'pre-production' stage as it were...

2. Is it that unbelievable that Dreamworld would want to spend the money and restore an old classic back to its original glory if not better? Have we not seen evidence of this already? Yes I do realise that the Wipeout hasn't been SBNO for pretty much a decade but they did put some effort into it... I mean who knows? The Wipeout could have been a sort of 'Feasibility Test' to see how well the public reacts to giving an old classic a revival and not just replace it... And if that's anything to go by than I think it we have our answer (apart from some teething problems).

I mean they must have done some feasibility studies on this, pricing it up against putting in a brand new ride VS restoring a classic, they can't have just unanimously said that it was going to cost too much to restore it, but not actually know how MUCH it would actually cost... I think Dreamworld has thought seriously on this and are actually listening to there ticket holders.

However I think if they are going to do this they will try and do it properly, it will take them a while to thoroughly collect data on the rides structure and building code updates as well as digging up old drawings and building blueprints to review... They might also bring in some people (or still have people working for them) who previously ran or built the ride to oversee some of the rebuilding they will probably (or definitely) need to do...... we dont know how much it has fallen apart inside... motors/chains rusted, the asbestos issue? etc...

I have no idea of the status of the mine cart ride but it wouldn't surprise me to see Dreamworld get it going.

DW has made a huge effort in the past 12-18 months and they would be well aware that the number 1 issue the average punter has with them is the Mine Ride being idle.

Unlike Movieworld, who seem a bit oblivious to the issues they have as a park, Dreamworld seem ready and willing to listen and respond so on that basis alone I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours have substance.

• Richard changed the title to Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion