Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion

rappa

A cart of gold would be a fairly standard logo for a area called 'gold rush county'. Think you are looking too far into things... 

As for the overwhelming appeal/push for Its re-opening, it's the basic human psyche to want something you can't have. If it wasn't still there, no one would want it or mention it

18 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

A cart of gold would be a fairly standard logo for a area called 'gold rush county'. Think you are looking too far into things... 

As for the overwhelming appeal/push for Its re-opening, it's the basic human psyche to want something you can't have. If it wasn't still there, no one would want it or mention it

That is basically what nostalgia means, wanting something you cant have. Something being in the past is unrelated its just things that you can't have, even though past things are usually the main thing people worry about

48 minutes ago, coasterdude44 said:

That is basically what nostalgia means, wanting something you cant have. Something being in the past is unrelated its just things that you can't have, even though past things are usually the main thing people worry about

Nostalgia does not mean wanting something you can't have...

Nostalgia is a feeling/emotion, evoked by memories of a prior time or experience. 

My neighbour has a 80" flat screen, mine is 65", which is more than suitable for my needs, but regardless, I want his, even though I can't afford it. That isn't nostalgia, that's me wanting what I can't have. 

5 hours ago, Slick said:

Honestly? 99% nostalgia.

Ditto. I actually hated the damn thing back in the day, a little too rough for me with all the sudden jolts and turns  ? Alas, the nostalgia of my childhood, coupled with my new love for coasters as an adult, is fueling my excitement over the return of this ride one day. 

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

If it was THAT good, would it have ever closed?

Interesting question - but consider this - you own a Lamborghini Murcielago. It's two days old, and some maniac who has stolen an army tank rolls straight over it.

Your insurance won't cover you. It's a unrepairable write-off, and you can't buy this model anymore.

Do you blow your wad having it repaired, despite it costing way more than it was ever worth? Or do you wave goodbye to an awesome car, making the right financial decision to buy 12 Honda Motorcycles (2 with sidecars) instead?

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

Interesting question - but consider this - you own a Lamborghini Murcielago. It's two days old, and some maniac who has stolen an army tank rolls straight over it.

Your insurance won't cover you. It's a unrepairable write-off, and you can't buy this model anymore.

Do you blow your wad having it repaired, despite it costing way more than it was ever worth? Or do you wave goodbye to an awesome car, making the right financial decision to buy 12 Honda Motorcycles (2 with sidecars) instead?

35 minutes ago, coasterdude44 said:

very funny...

It's also very insightful. While the Mine Ride was certainly more intense then Scooby Doo, it was shorter, had a much smaller capacity (which meant more waiting) and the theming was stuck squarely in the 90's. It wasn't stellar, but it was definitely a classic by all counts. I'd also like to think part of the nostalgia is due in part to the sudden and mysterious way the park closed the ride. It wasn't like management gave park-goers a chance to say goodbye to a classic and have a final crack at it, rather, one day there was a part issue and the ride suddenly closed, and then it never opened again for a barrage of unconfirmed random rumours, none of which were really confirmed by the park and for the most part, were all untrue.

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

I think that if Eureka is going to reopen, they seriously need to do this refurbishment really well or I'm positive there will be many people really disappointed because they were expecting something great but didn't get it.

I'm confident. I don't think i've seen the park look this good since just before Thunderbolt closed. That's over a decade now. It's abundantly obvious management are really switched on, and it shows.

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 2.08.28 PM.jpg

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

Yeah good point. I know what I wouldn't do though, leave my sandwiched wreck sitting in my driveway for the next 10 years..

1 hour ago, Slick said:

I'm confident. I don't think i've seen the park look this good since just before Thunderbolt closed. That's over a decade now. It's abundantly obvious management are really switched on, and it shows.

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 2.08.28 PM.jpg

That's very true - Main Street and Ocean Parade look fantastic, now if they can extend that into Gold Rush (even further, they've already done a bit of work on it) that would be even better.

4 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Yeah good point. I know what I wouldn't do though, leave my sandwiched wreck sitting in my driveway for the next 10 years..

Ok that is a flaw in my example, but its apples to oranges. 

Imagine now that your Lambo was parked down the back of your multi-acre property that is mostly bush. Now imagine the tank has done the same think with the same result. Imagine if you will that you don't really need the land it's on for anything just now, and imagine that it's going to cost you about as much to repair it as it would to have it towed out of there... due to their being asbestos and hazardous materials, as well as closing down 2-3 other cars that are parked in that vicinity whilst the tow truck company does it's thing - which due to the nature of the damage must be done over several months.

Understood your example, was just being a smart ass. 

And understand why we're still looking at a SBNO a decade later. 

But whilst DW has had their share of poor management in the past, I'm sure value as opposed to cost was the deciding factor in closing it. If they believed they were gaining attendance by its operation, or would lose significant attendance by its closure, they would have sourced the required repairs or overhauled the ride system to keep it maintainable into the future. 

Dreamworld reads these threads;

Any chance of ever getting an official statement about the ride's future? Were you previously optimistic about the ride's reopening and now have changed your mind? What led to the ride's closure in the first place? Why were you testing earlier this year? Will the ride just stand for another 10 years?

Pop me an email so I can repost it. 

Cheers DW

xexon15@hotmail.com 

2 hours ago, Xexon said:

Dreamworld reads these threads;

Any chance of ever getting an official statement about the ride's future? Were you previously optimistic about the ride's reopening and now have changed your mind? What led to the ride's closure in the first place? Why were you testing earlier this year? Will the ride just stand for another 10 years?

Pop me an email so I can repost it. 

Cheers DW

xexon15@hotmail.com 

Dear Xenox,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately we are unable to comment on speculation or rumours regarding Eureka. For the latest news on our rides and attractions, make sure your like our Facebook page and follow us on Instagram. 

Cheers, 

Kenny Koala

• Richard changed the title to Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion