Buzz Saw Harness Does Exactly What It's Supposed to Do

themeparkdude

Was wondering what was going on with the Buzzsaw... a few days ago it was closed due to technical difficulties, then today it was due to "annual maintenance" despite the fact it wasn't originally cheduled for annual maintenance till late April/May :/ Now the app is listing two lots.

So figured it must have been a serious issue... and sure enough, it is. Harness failure??? Holy crap O_o

Where did you hear about this? I have trust issues with that style of harness

Hope you don't mind us asking but Would someone be able to give us a quick run down on how a secondary locking system works?

All rides require at least 2 locking mechanisms in a harness however only one is needed to safely secure the rider (harness and seatbelt for example) Edited by buzzkill13

The buzz saw has been closed since last week as one of the harness' failed. It was only the secondary locking system that stopped the rider from falling out! Pretty damn scary.

Care to advise us of the source of your information? Sorry but with this being your first post on the forums, and making such a damning and controversial comment, a believe a little more info is required

well it was closed when i was there on thursday :lol:

Buzzsaw went down sometime on Wed afternoon, I think... pretty sure it was going that morning but closed by late afternoon. Still closed as of today (5 days onward) and apparently will now continue to be until the 19th according to the Dreamworld website/app.

I'm inclined to believe the op, it's a valid explanation as to why the ride went straight into a week's worth of unplanned annual maintenance. It would have to be due to something major.

And what sucks is that it's now going to happen all over again in a month or two, as it seems they are still going ahead with the planned annual maintenance, despite this happening.

Yeah depends on the wording. I'm inclined to say 19th will be closed, but if you really look at the wording it seems to imply it will reopen on the 19th.

ie:

Closed until the 19th - 17th-Closed, 18th-Closed, 19th-Open.

Usually their maintenance pages normally say 'will be closed for maintenance from x to 'y' - in which case the ride would be closed on 'y'... it'd be nicer if they included "and we expect to reopen it on XX."

Not going to lie, I always find myself a lot more comfortable in harnesses with a ratchet-style "click" as the harness locks in, even if it is purely psychological.

That said, one of the two harnessess failing is not someone "nearly falling out" - it has dual locking mechanisms for a reason - the secondary mechanism means that the rider was perfectly safe.

I decided to ask directly, and was told that they're expecting the ride back on the 20th, but that the downtime was unexpected and that date is an estimate. I'll be driving past the park on the morning of the 19th anyway, so if it's open I'll drop in – if not, then I guess that'll be one more credit for my next visit whenever that happens to be :)

I decided to ask directly, and was told that they're expecting the ride back on the 20th, but that the downtime was unexpected and that date is an estimate. I'll be driving past the park on the morning of the 19th anyway, so if it's open I'll drop in – if not, then I guess that'll be one more credit for my next visit whenever that happens to be :)

No way will it be back on the 20th

The buzz saw has been closed since last week as one of the harness' failed. It was only the secondary locking system that stopped the rider from falling out! Pretty damn scary.

The title irks me and gives me a "clickbait" kinda vibe. I'd hate for people who don't have a great understanding on how rides work to read a title like that and immediately jump to a conclusion like "that ride is unsafe" or "Dreamworld don't maintain their rides" especially when neither of which is the case. If anything, and this is speculative, but judging by the downtime something totally unforeseen by the manufacturer has occurred and the redundant failsafe worked exactly as designed.

Don't know how you can say it failed when it did the job it was intended to do. If the system failed then there would be a splat on the ground below. Parts break all the time and that's why there is always a back up system in critical areas. I Say that makes me feel better about riding it knowning if the first lock does not work then the second one will do the job.