Buzz Saw Harness Does Exactly What It's Supposed to Do

themeparkdude

How is it news worthy when while DW are doing their normal morning checks they found a problem?

Planes would be in the news 50 times a day if news was shown because a problem was found during standard checks before take-off.

From what I have read the problem was found during normal checks and not during a cycle with a person riding it.

DW own statement.

"They’ve got to keep it closed until they’ve done a full assessment.

“No one will ever be in danger because of those safety layers.”

"The spokeswoman said there was no incident with riders that sparked the closure."

Case closed

if it was found in the "morning check"then why was it operating in the morning with riders on but suddenly closed and hasn't been opened since. Do they do their morning checks in the afternoon now?

I think you might need to consider that I have worked (or work?) in the industry and know quite well from first-hand experience how such a system operates, and the legal and maintenance requirements of such. Do you?

I understand it may be convenient to try and accuse somebody you're in a discussion with of ignorance in an attempt to bolster your own point of view, but the pesky thing about that is it's usually best backed with evidence.

I not attempting to accuse you of ignorance I am stating that if you know how a lap bar works that you would know that a second locking system would stop the lap bar from opening up.

What you keep saying is there was a safety issue and a risk to riders. How can there be risk to riders if the lap bap even when its first locking system failed continued to do what it was designed to do? No one was at risk of falling out because the lap bar would still its job that it was designed to do.

You keep saying its newsworthy. How is the local paper printing misguided information newsworthy? I don't believe any other parks that have this ride read the local rag.

I believe DW have done everything that they needed to do. They have shut the ride and contacted the manufacture to come up with a solution. If DW have discovered a major problem with this do you really think the manufacture would not inform the other parks on how it needs to be fixed.

You have also claimed that this has happened because DW is to busy doing other things.

Have you seen the comments people are leaving already when they have no idea as to what has happened?

THEMEPARKDUDE people have asked you many times about how you heard about this and you have not answered anyone. DW has also come out and said there was no incident with riders that sparked the closure. But you have said a rider was on the ride at the time that it failed so I am asking you how do you know this?

I not attempting to accuse you of ignorance I am stating that if you know how a lap bar works that you would know that a second locking system would stop the lap bar from opening up.

You know, you genuinely had me wondering for a moment if my memory was shot and I had in fact given the impression that I was not aware that there was a secondary locking system designed to prevent a major incident such as a lap bar opening and a person becoming unrestrained. But then, of course, I found my very first post:

...Sure, there is a secondary system in place in the event of failure of the first...

Perhaps you could explain why this was not clear to you? Could I be clearer in future?

What you keep saying is there was a safety issue and a risk to riders. How can there be risk to riders if the lap bap even when its first locking system failed continued to do what it was designed to do? No one was at risk of falling out because the lap bar would still its job that it was designed to do.

See, now this is where you have lost me, because although I can see a clear reference by me to the secondary safety system I can't see me saying that there is a risk to riders. Certainly if the ride operated in a state where the primary restraint mechanism failed (which you claim is not the case) that would put a rider at risk, but that stands to reason - it's just common sense. Is it a safety issue? Of course; when anything related to safety fails when it's not supposed to it's a safety issue. There's just no latitude for argument on that. As you progressively peel back the layers of protection the level of risk increases. Ask anybody in the business of safety - they'd be happy to tell you the same thing.

You keep saying its newsworthy. How is the local paper printing misguided information newsworthy?

H-how is..? How is t-the? How is the local paper printing a story on this newsworthy? I'm sorry, I was distracted for a moment because I was fairly sure you just answered your own question. If it's something the public would be interested in - it's newsworthy.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/newsworthy

newsworthy

[nooz-wur-th ee, nyooz-]

adjective

1. of sufficient interest to the public or a special audience to warrant press attention or coverage.

Choo-choo - here comes the logic train! Is the story:

1: Of interest to the public? Yes. Evidence: Check the comments made by guests alone...

2: Of sufficient interest to a special audience? Yes. Evidence: Parkz. There's no doubting the 'specialness' of some of the audience among us.

3: Generating press attention or coverage? Yes. Evidence: Article you mentioned.

I don't believe any other parks that have this ride read the local rag.

Nor do most of the aircraft owners around the world read our press. I guarantee the lessons learned here will also be learned by other amusement operators.

I believe DW have done everything that they needed to do. They have shut the ride and contacted the manufacture to come up with a solution.

What knowledge do you base this upon? I'm not saying they haven't but I'd be curious.

If DW have discovered a major problem with this do you really think the manufacture would not inform the other parks on how it needs to be fixed.

Is that not the safety observation I've made a number of times now?

You have also claimed that this has happened because DW is to busy doing other things.

Actually, I was being facetious in reference to the breathless speculation concerning the former mine ride. I apologise if I did not make this clearer. Edited by webslave

See, that's another one that has never curried favour with me. Getting involved in a discussion, making a bunch of wild assertions, and when asked to provide hard evidence to back them up backing away from the discussion with some pithy meta statement to now try and seem 'above' the situation you created.

For the record;

- Arguing on the internet isn't the verbal equivalent of anything unless you're using VoIP.

- Knife fighting with bananas is not a thing. Why would you call it knife fighting if there were no knives, and why bananas anyway? Is that some metaphor for bringing the wrong equipment to a fight?

- Nobody wins? Why should anybody win in a discussion? Could your belief that someone should win be framing the way you're arguing?

- You only look stupid if what you are writing is stupid. I don't think anyone is quite there yet.

• Like 1

As I said this is going round and round. i don't know why you think I have been pulling all this wild crap out I have been repeating what DW have said. If you have any evidence to oppose what DW is saying then I would like to see it. I have also added my own views on the subject which I believe I have the right to. I have no idea of what situation you think I have created and yes I am bored with this discussion now because it is not going anywhere.

When the local paper is a Limited News owned paper which has a main goal of click bait of course they are going to sensationalise anything. If this was like the Boomerang that had the train failure resulting in separation of cars earlier this year I can understand the attention but this doesn't deserve anywhere near the attention it is getting. Ride has issue, is closed whilst cause is identified properly and brought back to full safe operation standard. The end. Doesn't sound as interesting or click baited when written like that.

Hark back to a time where we didn't have a requirement for secondary restraint systems; we'd have a real disaster here. The secondary system is not intended to substitute for the primary system, and instead is an avenue of last resort. Now, that's not to say this is a bad news story - if anything it's a validation that the safety systems of today are superior to the protocols of yesteryear.

At the risk of rekindling something - i take issue with this statement.

Restraints of yesteryear tended to buckle you in tighter than a fighter pilot doing Mach1. They didn't need a 'secondary restraint' because the primary restraint was fail safe.

The changes to restraints these days are a little less about 'more safety' and a little more about 'putting riders on the edge'. Its a reason why some very popular ride models the world over use lap-bar only restraints to put riders 'like they're going to fall out'. The nature of these systems requires additional 'backstops' because they are on the very edge. It's also why those same models, when deployed in Australia - tend to get an alternativ restraint system, or an added seatbelt buckled to the harness "just in case"

You're quite right in that some restraint systems are designed to fail safely, and this in some regions negates the requirement for a secondary restraint. With that said though, there are now a number of operators that are installing secondary restraints during overhauls for rides that previously had none. This is not in response to the inherent risk of the ride increasing over time (although that can certainly happen), but instead is a direct response to the lessons learned in previous incidents around the world (see also: no culture of 'playing down' incidents). You'll note Dreamworld also applies these principles to themeing when suspended over the heads of patrons.

• 4 weeks later...

In other non-Green Lantern related news... according to Dreamworld's website, the Buzzsaw is scheduled to re-open at the end of this week. Yay!!!

Wonder if there will be any notable safety changes to the harnesses?

Either way, it will be great to see it back in action again. Maybe I will finally even build up the courage to actually ride it, hahaha :lol::huh: