Thank you

Noxegon

If every km driven was at $0.30 (which based on the km allowance, it wasn't) - you're only looking at $30k in mileage fees. When new - the car was worth $60k, and redbook still holds a dealer trade-in price of $21,500 - even with 100,000 on the clock.

That car might sit on their lot for 8 months of the year (few people travel in the wet season - especially with a stock-hire vehicle) so they do need to cover costs in the few months of the year when they do get business.

Granted - the dent is unacceptable, and considering the companies are part of a national chain, there's really no excuse for them not to have the same year-models as their metropolitan counterparts - they could probably make more money off them by cycling them between metro and rural centres.

I get the 'accepted without complaint' bit. it's a rort. especially the mileage and taxes figures.

I guess you can just write this off as 'reasons why we don't do megan's cultural stuff on coaster trips' and bank it away for future use... ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, to counter a couple of points here. 

I've stayed at the resort two or three times in the past and have always stayed at the Emu Walk Apartments. It's expensive, but look where it is. It's in the middle of nowhere. Yes they have a captive audience, but at the same time, the costs of maintaining those places out there don't come cheap. 

The quality of these places I'd personally rate at 3 star, but again, look at the surroundings, it's pretty hard to maintain 4 stars out there. 

Regarding the food - I might be wrong but I thought most of those places advise they're fully self-contained meaning you could/should bring your own food and cook it yourself.

Also you go to a tourist area and expect people to be civil? Ha! People are dicks. Most of the time its the bus loads of Asian tourists that show up at the last minute and push in front of everyone. 

Being disappointed? Well that IMO is your own fault. But that goes with every popular thing or place. You build it up so much in your mind that you got so caught up on the hype train, that you missed your stop. These things are what you make them. I for one think the rock is a beautiful place morning, day or night. It's even more special if you're lucky enough to see it turn silver in the rain. Each to their own though. 

I'll agree, the Olgas (Kata Tjuta) aren't all that impressive and I can't say I remember much of them.

You need to understand that the area is sacred to the Aboriginal people and a lot of their "dreamtime" stories are also sacred.

Yes a climb has been installed for many years but it's at great odds with what the Aboriginals campaigned for (but you know, why should respect get in the way of a good tourist dollar for the government). As far as you saying you feel like you're not wanted and shouldn't be there, technically you're not. If the elders had their way, only Aboriginal people would be allowed on the sacred site. 

The flies. What do you expect. You're in the middle of the desert, it's hot, your body fluids provide a great source of moisture for insects and flies. 

I didn't read the whole thing as there's way too much text, but did you actually go on a walk and learn the history from the locals or just visit the cultural centre? 

Overall, and it may not be the case, but it's just how it came across to me, it seems like it's written from a terrible sheltered person who relies too much on mod cons and didn't do much if any research about the place they were going and ended up ruining a great experience for themselves.

Really?  It sounds to me like it was written by someone who was really looking forward to go there, only to find the place is a rip off and the vibe is 'you aren't welcome'.  I think if the report said 'Grand Canyon' instead of 'Ularu' you'd probably agree that this whole arrangement sounds crappy.  But because it's in Austrlia people will feel a compulsive need to defend it, particularly from being criticised by someone from overseas.

My take from the trip report is it's an honest account written from the heart, which doesn't hang crap on the main draw, only on what surrounds it.  I'm pretty confident that had I visited my opinion would directly line up with the writer's.

Yeah, no surprises there.  I've lived in country and regional Australia for 18 years and I've seen all that before.  Mediocre hotels and restaurants with hit and miss service. I think I've even paid more for a hire car.  Ironically, there are plenty of large rocks and interesting formations closer to city centres than people realise.  

I understand where Reanimated is coming from, but I don't think it's as simple as 'defending it because its in your backyard'.

I HAVE read every word of the report, and I found it extremely well written, conveyed the writer's point of view clearly but still allowed for the fact that it was OPINION and even though they had had enough (I stop short of saying a 'horrible time' because whilst there were many downsides it was still by all accounts a good trip - just a good trip that cost way too much to still be considered good).

Yes it seems like there may have been a lack of planning in some respects - but it's very hard to plan things like that from across the globe, unless you book a very overpriced underwhelming tour that keeps you occupied.

A DIY tour - which Richard and Megan obviously do a lot of - can be very good because you can run at your own pace, and not waste time or not have enough time at places you want to be at... but it does have it's downsides because you're planning it yourself and not using the local knowledge to guide you.

My recent trip to HK had all the park days planned out, including how to get to where we had to be, but everything non-park that we did wasn't planned until the night before, or the morning of... which meant some things cost us more, took longer, or didn't work out as well as if we'd planned it ahead of time and prebooked... but that turned out to be a blessing as we could wake up, and decide 'yeah I don't really want to do the 21km walk through the hills of hong kong island after 3 successive days walking theme parks - let's have a lazy day...

I guess my point is - Reanimated has clearly been there too, and had a different experience, and felt compelled to offer his alternate point of view to show that there is more than one side to the experience. My grandparents have literally just left Uluru and Kata Tjuta national park this morning, and they described it as magical. They are caravanning - so fully self contained - and this likely led to a very different experience.

Reanimated made one point that I had thought to make after reading Megan's report, but I decided not to - now that he has said it I feel compelled to back him up -

The criticisms of the traditional owners being contradicting - saying 'don't climb' and 'use care if you climb' - he's absolutely right.

Climbing tours of the Rock had existed for a long time - before the park was 'handed back' to the traditional owners. The previous operators installed the handrailings, and 'cut' the walking track to the top. It's been done for decades.

It is a very unique experience - especially as there is very little surrounding it - the view allows you to see for miles. It is (as megan rightly points out) a very important income generator... And I think that their passive "you can, but we'd rather you didn't" keeps the harmony... those that absolutely insist on climbing despite the wishes of the tribal owners may do so under certain conditions, but others who may read and understand it is preferred that you don't climb... won't... and I think that's much better for them to do\say than for them simply to close the climb - which would probably lead to other people making their own path elsewhere and damaging the rock further than it is already...

It reminds me of a cruise I went on to Lifou island in the south pacific - we went snorkelling in an open lagoon, but spaces were limited to 50 people per session to minimise damage to the corals. Previous to this, it used to be open slather - and the damage and degradation to the corals from that previous use was clear to see - however if they banned usage entirely - it would only send tourists to other spots, or tempt them to do it anyway.

I think if the report said 'Grand Canyon' instead of 'Ularu' you'd probably agree that this whole arrangement sound crappy. 

Yup sounds to be the whole setup out there is just like at the Canyon West Rim and possibly even worse so think the review is pretty darn fair. 

And yeah regardless of the price, don't call yourself 4 star if you're really a shitty motel. 

The quality of these places I'd personally rate at 3 star, but again, look at the surroundings, it's pretty hard to maintain 4 stars out there. 

From here:

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/accommodation/desert-gardens-hotel

"A magnificent sanctuary of towering ghost gums and flowering native shrubs among the red dunes, 4.5 star Desert Gardens is a welcoming hotel".

Regarding the food - I might be wrong but I thought most of those places advise they're fully self-contained meaning you could/should bring your own food and cook it yourself.

You are wrong. Even if we wanted to cook for ourselves, there was no kitchenette in our room. Nor would I expect one; with four and a half stars it is surely not unreasonable to expect food to be available?

Also you go to a tourist area and expect people to be civil? Ha! People are dicks. Most of the time its the bus loads of Asian tourists that show up at the last minute and push in front of everyone. 

OK, I'll give you that one :)

Being disappointed? Well that IMO is your own fault. But that goes with every popular thing or place. You build it up so much in your mind that you got so caught up on the hype train, that you missed your stop. 

Again, I'll accept that.  But if you'd read the entire report, you'd see that Megan analysed that bit from top to bottom.

The flies. What do you expect. You're in the middle of the desert, it's hot, your body fluids provide a great source of moisture for insects and flies. 

As neither of us grew up in a desert environment I'm not sure why you feel we'd have guessed about something like this.  We did quite a bit of research before our trip, using the resort web site and other references, and we found no mentions of them. If the other tourists in the area were anything to go by we were far from the only people to miss that.

Given that they are a major issue, is it too much to ask for fly nets/etc to be on sale in the hotel lobby? (Spoiler: yes).

Overall, and it may not be the case, but it's just how it came across to me, it seems like it's written from a terrible sheltered person

This report was written by a woman who eight months ago left her home country to emigrate to the other side of the world. She also has a degree in Anthropology from a prestigious college in the United States.

See... here in Australia - as soon as it's warm enough to take your jacket off, and walk around in singlet and shorts - we're cooking outside. we're eating outside. Stuffed if i know why because we all know thats where the flies are... but we've developed ingenous inventions to assist with this.

• We put on a marvellous spread of food - salads, charred and burned cow, sheep and chook, lay it out on the table, and then cover it with a fine mesh - so the flies can only reach the topmost part of the food (and everyone scoops the potato salad from the bottom)
  • We attach corks to broad brim hats by a string and sell them to tourists, laughingly promising that they'll keep the flies off.
  • The poorly planned outdoor BBQ - without nets - involves making a sacrifice to the fly-gods - you must place the juciest, fattiest bit of meat in the middle of the table - where it will attract flies and act as a decoy for what is on your plate.
  • We use sayings like 'avagoodweekend' - because it's the 1970's slogan for insect repellent.
  • Our kids learn to close the door when coming into the house - usually because every adult within sight of the door will scream out "CLOSETHEDOORYOU'RELETTINGALLTHEFLIESIN!!!" whilst watching the boxing day test in air conditioned comfort.

My point is - Australia = Flies. Especially when it's hot, even more especially when it's dry. You don't think for one moment that a tourist destination website is going to tell you about all the things they have that will annoy you or kill you do you? Did the hotel's website inform you of the various snakes present in the red centre that could kill you? Probably not - because that is bad for business. Instead they talk about the towering ghost gums and flowering native shrubs...

Granted - selling fly nets in the hotel lobby would be GOOD for business... but hey - they're operating a tourist spot in one of the most remote places in the world... they obviously aren't that bright.

Edited by AlexB

• 1 month later...

A wonderful read, as usual.

In a spotlight at the apex were a pair of Australian flags, symmetrically positioned with a red aircraft warning light between them, whose every flutter asserted pride, ownership, and proof that once again, pretty much every country uses flags more tastefully than America.

The patriot in me appreciates her views on the flag... but we do still see bogans wearing the flag as boxers, speedos, sunglasses, towels, and the like... It's also worth mentioning (I hope this doesn't spoil it for her) but typically the flags that fly atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge are not twins - the first is the Australian flag, the second is the state flag of New South Wales. They are strikingly similar from afar, but clearly different when seen up close:

sydney_harbour_bridge_climb.thumb.JPG.69

Of course, occasionally they will fly other flags, as a result of Sporting event rivalry or special days of cultural significance

I am however really happy to hear just how verbose she is about this spot. I grew up in Sydney - taking many ferry rides with grandparents and parents - the zoo, the beach, the opera house... but I never walked it until I was about 24... and she's right...

We are really fucking pleased with ourselves here.”

We are.

Can't wait to read the next installment. keep up the good work Megan!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Others who live on the Gold Coast may be interested to know that the Game Over arcade place across from MW has put an indoor one in, suspended from the roof over the go kart track.

Has a couple of small uphill sections, and even a lift hill.

Still not open yet, I just discovered it by chance when I pulled in and stuck my head in the door one day.

Great trip report thankyou!!

I have been considering doing this with my kids since it is so close to me ( I live in Newcastle)

One question- looking at the website it seems relatively expensive- given the cost of this activity, do you deem it worth the price of admission?

The below video gives a good visual representation of the actual ride.

Edited by Jobe

• 5 weeks later...