Big Banana To Expand With Waterpark

strop

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Bussy said:

I wonder how the park will go with the Coffs Harbour Pacific Hwy bypass build starting soon.

"The Bus is now leaving for Bypass Nunatak, Australian Antarctic Territory"

Yeah I dont think that it will be overly affected to be honest. Coffs Harbour is a destination in itself and situated perfectly halfway to the Gold Coast. Its the perfect place to stay for travellers from Sydney or Newcastle. I think that you plan to stay in Coffs no matter what and a bypass isnt going to affect this decision overly much. If you are just passing through and doing the 8 hour run in one go, the bypass will be most welcome. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jobe said:

Yeah I dont think that it will be overly affected to be honest. Coffs Harbour is a destination in itself and situated perfectly halfway to the Gold Coast. Its the perfect place to stay for travellers from Sydney or Newcastle. I think that you plan to stay in Coffs no matter what and a bypass isnt going to affect this decision overly much. If you are just passing through and doing the 8 hour run in one go, the bypass will be most welcome. 

I agree, we always stop at Coffs for at least one night on the way up to the Gold Coast and I hope the park stays open and expands/updates regularly. I took the family to the Big Banana in January but didn't use the water park but was surprised how busy the place was which is a good thing.

"The Bus is now leaving for Banana Creek, Western Australia"

• Like 1

I think it will naturally be effected by the bypass. Maybe not so much as some of the smaller towns that have almost died as a result of bypasses, but it will be effected. 

I avoid any where that involves getting off the highway unless it’s for an overnight stay. Coffs is too close to stop at on the southern trek to Sydney, and I feel it’s almost too far to bother stopping if heading in the other direction, but hey, that’s just me and I do the entire trip in one go 90% of the time 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2019 at 4:34 PM, Jobe said:

doing the 8 hour run in one go

I admit its been a while since I did the run in one stretch, but last time I did the full stretch, it was about 12 hours from Sydney to Brisbane, so 8 hours sounds a bit tight... according to google, from the GC to Berowra Waters at the northernmost point you could call 'in sydney' it still comes in at 9.5 hours... i guess the leadfoots sitting above the limit could probably nudge it down to 8ish...

We usually tend to stop in Coffs because we have family there, but I must admit when other bypass sections opened up - such as the Ballina bypass, it was certainly a much cleaner run. Our family sits on the southern end of Coffs, so it might even be worth taking the bypass, and then backtracking where the road links back up.

..Just had a look. It literally bypasses JUST the low speed roads that form part of the PAC mwy, so it would be worth my while to take the bypass, and then backtrack, provided there was a convenient way to do so - its a shame it diverts just before the banana, but it does look like there is a northbound  onramp to the southbound bypass, so those wanting to stop at the banana potentially could still backtrack and get back on the bypass to bypass the town proper...

8 hours is a big stretch. You certainly wouldn’t make it in that time if there was any significant adjacent road works where you’re forced to do 80 when there’s is literally nothing happening on the road you are driving on.

11ish hours if you factor in some stretching/meal breaks is probably pretty accurate 

• Like 1

Sorry guys I should have been clearer- I was only talking about Newcastle to the Gold Coast which is 7 hours 51 min currently. Although they do say that when the Pacific Highway is finally fully completed , there will be a total of 2.5 hours of travel time reduction. I cannot wait to have THAT trip all the way on a dual carriage way highway travelling comfortably at 110km all the way.