Sign in to follow this  
Richard

New to Movie World: Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster

13 posts in this topic

I was looking over the Movie World website earlier, and saw something I hadn't noticed before. Apparently Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster is a new ride at the park. Doesn't that just give you faith in the park's idea of how long a ride is new. I could fully understand it a year ago (back then I was still visiting the park semi-almost-regularly because the ride and the park was still attractive to me), but come on - the thing's going on two years! Yes, it's a great ride, yes Scooby-Doo 2 is out in cinemas, but sorry, it's not new. I know it's a bit petty, but I think this just shows the sort of unrealistic return that WVTP expect from their attractions. I love their parks, but it's just that Movie World is really quite neglected (neglect doesn't always mean badly maintained or not cared for you know), and most or all of its problems are simply looked over - after all who cares if a park is half the capacity it should be, given the crowds it gets? "Hey, I queue for 45 minutes to buy my ticket. This place must be good!"

Yeah I noticed that too. It definitely is pushing it a bit. They had the website branded with Scooby Doo (as it is now) when they first opened the ride. Then Matrix opened so the whole thing was re-branded with Matrix. Now that Scooby Doo 2 is showing in cinemas, they have reverted back to the Scooby Doo branding. Talk about an opportunity to cash in on something that doesn't really have that much to do with them. Aussie parks just love these promotional tie-ins don't they!

Guys, rumors i am getting from on high say that WBMW is going to retheme SDSC with elements from SD2. From what i hear they are going to keep the existing "warehouse" element at the end with the laser show and the MXPX theme music, but the ground level coaster element ("pre-crazy lift") was going to be rethemed... Nothing official from the park, just speculation from a few sources in the industry.

If they did end up doing that their timing couldn't be worse. Wouldn't it be best to do something like that when it corresponds with the opening of the 2nd movie, rather than waiting for all the hype to die down?! I'm sure Movie World would have thought of that

They have been no rumors about that at work. Next week is a private staff event which will tell the future hopefully but only staff will know what the future holds for now.

It wouldn't really make sense to do said retheming after the second film is released and really long since gone. How could the park possibly benefit at all from it being done after the film? They'll do absolutely fine just tacking ads for the ride on the back of every trailer for the movies. The ride itself is perfect and needs absolutely no retheming or anything. I would see it as doing more harm than good, as was the case with Movie World's past attempts to retheme or extend theming or moderise attractions (see Wild West Stunt Show to Maverick, Batman to Batman 2, Studio Commissary Restaurant compared with after they "modified" its structure for the street parade).