Favourite Drop Tower?

Space Probe 7: The Ride would be by far my favourite drop ride that I've been on, closely followed by the Giant Drop. Purely for the theming and the overall experience is why I rate SP7 higher. I would love a ride like that back in AU with a decent storyline. If Movie World didn't already have BatWing it could have been a great idea for a drop ride to be themed to a generic alien movie.

Yeah if Disney's ToT counts, i'm all for that, otherwise Space Probe - again for the same reasons given by Spotty - Drop rides are fun, but they're even more fun when they're actually given a good immersive theme - it isn't too difficult to do that, and that makes the ride, in my opinion.

Falcon's Fury is certainly a nice new gimmick i'd love to try - and the experience may sway me yet - but for now as I haven't tried it - i'll stick with what I know.

Yeah if Disney's ToT counts, i'm all for that, otherwise Space Probe - again for the same reasons given by Spotty - Drop rides are fun, but they're even more fun when they're actually given a good immersive theme - it isn't too difficult to do that, and that makes the ride, in my opinion.

Falcon's Fury is certainly a nice new gimmick i'd love to try - and the experience may sway me yet - but for now as I haven't tried it - i'll stick with what I know.

TOT at DCA if that counts

TOT is a dark ride and drop tower.

• 1 month later...

Not counting TOT at Disney, Lex Luthor is my favorite... Better restraints, mucks around less at the top, and the tower shakes more.

The wait at the top of GD is definitely what makes me prefer it towards some of the newer drop towers. IMHO Those 40 or so seconds where everyone is tense as to when it will drop really adds to the rush when it does, rather than just dropping once you reach the top.

As you could probably tell, GD is my favourite with the Disney TOT coming in a very close second.

Giant Drop for me, though I haven't been on Lex Luthor or the one at Great Adventure; or even though I've lived in Sydney all my life I never bothered going to Wonderland to ride Space Probe 7.

Others of note that I've ridden: Grona Lund's ballbreaker, the indoor one at Phantasialand, I can't remember the Heide Park, so it must have been good. Some of the smaller drop towers have a bit of a kick to them like the one at Luna Park Sydney.

Giant Drop for me, though I haven't been on Lex Luthor or the one at Great Adventure; or even though I've lived in Sydney all my life I never bothered going to Wonderland to ride Space Probe 7.

Others of note that I've ridden: Grona Lund's ballbreaker, the indoor one at Phantasialand, I can't remember the Heide Park, so it must have been good. Some of the smaller drop towers have a bit of a kick to them like the one at Luna Park Sydney.

The hair raiser is a great larson drop tower. The heide park one is called Scream and it's a gyro drop tower.

Not counting TOT at Disney, Lex Luthor is my favorite... Better restraints, mucks around less at the top, and the tower shakes more.

I will have to say while tower shaking is great, the wait and the tension at the top of the GD is almost as good as the actual drop section for me.

But yeah ive only ridden the giant drop (unless batwing counts which I doubt).

Technically the Giant Drop does drop as soon as it hits the top. The 30-40 seconds prior is just a very very slow rise to the top probably done as a means to minimise wear on the lift mechanism. If Dreamworld were to upgrade the lift mechanism it would probably eliminate that wait time and significantly improve the throughput of the ride. Of course the trade off would be the loss of tension made by the slow incline.

As for my favourite drop tower, I'd still have to say Giant Drop outside of Twilight Zone like most have already said. I didn't get a chance to ride Lex Luthor when I went to Magic Mountain back in 2012 because only one side was operating and it was a two hour wait. I've been on a couple of those S&S drop towers like Supreme Scream a Knott's Berry Farm but I wasn't a big fan of it. I really like the view of the Hinterland and the park from the west lift too.

Isn't TOT at Disney the same thing as Demon Drop that used to be at Cedar Point?

Demon Drop was a 1st Generation Freeall ride from Intamin. It is essentially the predecessor to what would become the modern freefall ride or "Drop Tower" and the short lived LSM Reverse Freefall Coaster i.e. Tower of Terror II and Superman: Escape from Krypton. The Twilight Zone rides at the Disney parks are a combination of a multi-drop ride and a dark ride which makes them a very unique experience and very different from any other ride.