Dreamworld or Movieworld?

jurib17000

Hi!

We are 2 young adults looking for THRILLING attractions and we have 1 (or 2) days to spend (on July) on theme parks!

Which one of Dreamworld or Movieworld is better for thrilling rides?

Also, I've seen that both of those parks sell combo tickets for other parks. What would be the second park you suggest? Whitewater park? Seaworld?

I've red everything and their contrary on the web so I'm even more confused now,

THANKS for your help!

Almost every time I go to MW something breaks down. On the scooby doo spooky coaster there are signs up saying you must be able to climb stairs in case of an evacuation. Movieworld USED to be better than DW imo, but they really have let themselves go. DW has it's flaws but it's better than MW

Hum... thank you guys!

How many thrilling attractions @ MW? Really not enough for full day?

Also for the second day, if I take MW I can go to either Seaworld or Wet'n'wild. If it's DW it would be Whitewater. I don't know which one of those parks can be better for the second day (knowing that it's on July, maybe cold?).

Dreamworld much better in terms of number of rides and variation in them. You also get a better variety of non-ride experiences in my opinion with the animal shows.

Having said that I reckon Seaworld is the best park so if you were looking at a multi day ticket you might go Seaworld/Movieworld as you can only get a Dreamworld/Whitewaterworld ticket or a Seaworld/MovieWorld/WetnWild ticket as they are different companies.

Yeah, pretty much if you want

a. Good quality rides, but not as many of them - head to movieworld

b. Lots of rides, but not as good quality as movieworld - dreamworld is your place

Another thing to consider is if you want rollercoasters or flat rides - movieworld is full of rollercoasters and dreamworld is full of flat rides.

I find that during the school holidays, movieworld could easily take a whole day as queues can be very long, and you might want to do a few rides more than once. During quieter times you can often do most rides at least one time in a few hours. Walk-ons are pretty common on the less thrilling coasters during these quieter times, and even thrill rides sometime. The coasters at MW are very good quality, however flat rides are pretty limited here if you're after those. Green lantern is also currently closed because of the accident so that might not be open when you go. If you're looking for good thrills, superman, arkham asylum and batwing are very good thrill machines, with wild west falls and scooby doo providing less extreme thrills and more of a laugh instead of a scream.

Dreamworld can get you a full day of fun during off-peak or peak season. I went on new-year's day a few years ago and most rides were walk-ons or maximum 15 minute waits, with the exception of the rapids and log flume which were probably about half an hour each. However, I managed to fill the whole day easily, and I did most rides a couple of times. From what I've seen, Dreamworld doesn't seem to be as busy as MW either. A year and a half ago I also managed to get one ride of giant drop, tower of terror, buzzsaw, cyclone, and two rides of wipeout at DW (these are some of the bigger thrill rides), then I had lunch, moved over to white water world and did the wedgie twice, supertubes, and RIP, and that all ended by about 1:30. I got quite a bit in, considering the limited time I had (this was in off-peak season though). Dreamworld's rides aren't as well-themed and are arguably more rough and less-maintained. They have two full-circuit rollercoasters (which both have been discussed as not being too great) and two smaller shuttle rollercoasters, but they also have a wide variety of flat rides which is nice.

Wet n Wild and White Water World are both good water parks, but WnW is definitely the bigger and has more thrilling slides. However since you are heading here in winter, I will warn you that you can get quite cold at the water parks. The slides are heated nicely, but waiting at the top of the towers with little clothing can be hell, especially if it's windy!

The dreamworld/whitewater world combo is very good, because there is a gate that connects two parks and I believe it's cheaper than the other parks' combo tickets. When I used this it was very worth-while. Movieworld and Wet n Wild are pretty much next door to eachother, but you still have a bit of a walk outside the park to get between them. I myself have never done a MW/WnW combo. Sea World is probably a 15-20 minute drive from Movie World, so I don't reccomend doing MW/WnW and SW in one day.

Seaworld is where you go for animal experiences and stuff, not for thrill rides. They have the jet rescue which is a good thrill ride, and the storm coaster which is still a thrill ride but not too extreme, on top of the log flume which isn't as good or as thrilling as movieworld's flume. If you're after thrills I don't reccomend going here but the animal attractions are very nice at SW.

It's really your choice, but as said above you need to remember that you can't do MW and DW together unless you're prepared to fork out the money for individual admission to both parks instead of saving money with a combo pass. Dreamworld is where you go for quantity, but if you want quality, but not much of it, head over to movieworld.

That's my summary. Enjoy your trip and feel free to ask me more questions and I'll try to answer them!

(MW is movieworld, DW is dreamworld, WnW is wet n wild, SW is sea world, WWW is white water world)

Edited by Santa07

Being the middle of winter I wouldn't consider WnW or WWW.

SW is really your only second day choice, but if thrills is what you are after you really only have Jet Rescue, unless you fancy getting soaked on Storm and freezing to death with the onshore winds on the spit.

MW for thrills has Superman Escape, Batwing & Arkham. Given the timing of your visit I wouldn't comsider WWF unless it's a randomly hot winter day. Actually I take back my original post, DW has MW covered for thrills as well, just not for coasters, though with JL out there isn't much disparity.

Do Dreamworld

Movie World:

Pros:

- Superman Escape (hands down Movie World's best drawcard)

- Arkham Asylum

- Green Lantern

- Wild West Falls (if you're willing to get wet in July)

- Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster (not as thrilling as the others but still worth riding)

- Batwing Spaceshot (if you like a 2 second ride....?)

- Justice League (not thrilling but it's fun to be competitive on)

- Great Atmosphere

- The street parade can be entertaining

Cons:

- You can do it in half a day

- Hollywood Stunt Driver sucks

- The "4D" movie sucks (I haven't seen Rio but if it is anything like Journey 2 The Mysterious Island it's just the actual movie condensed down to about 20 minutes and occasionally jerks you around)

- Expect super long wait times on Arkham Asylum (STILL only one train.. really?)

- Superman Escape forces you to buy a locker for your loose articles (Small gripe but annoyng. They won't even let you queue if you so much as have a feather in your pocket)

Dreamworld:

Pros:

- Giant Drop (IMHO best ride in the park, do not miss)

- Tower of Terror II

- Cyclone

- Pandamonium

- Wipeout

- The Claw

- Mick Doohan Motocoaster (ride it for the novelty, not for the thrills)

- Tailspin (Again, ride it for the novelty)

- Buzzsaw

- Shockwave

- Escape From Madagascar (because why not?)

- Skypoint (not at Dreamworld and only available if you buy a combo ticket but if you're visiting the Gold Coast and going to Surfers Paradise on another day I highly recommend it)

- Zombie Evilution (whether it's going to be a scare maze or laser tag in July I don't know but you might as well XD)

- ANIMALS! (Because you have to, it's the rules)

- Sneak into Eureka Mountain and take pictures... oh wait, never mind.

Cons:

- Not as great atmosphere in my opinion

- If you go off peak expect a LOT of the stores to be closed

- Coasters are not as great of a ride experience as Movie World's

- If you don't like spinning around knock off half the rides listed in "Pros"

- Unless you like watching the shorts found on the home releases of Dreamworks films the theatre sucks

- The water rides suck (not so much of a loss if you're going in July)

Realistically it's a matter of quantity or quality. I always prefer quality, since all (apart from Giant Drop) of DW's flats are vomit generators to say the least, and their coasters are lacklustre as opposed to MW, which have great coasters but very little flats, and also a much better log flume and an excellent dark ride.

Also GL could be open in July, they probably wouldn't be fixing the ride for 3 months.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Also GL could be open in July, they probably wouldn't be fixing the ride for 3 months.

I'll stand to be corrected if it happens, but there's a better chance of MW opening a Wild West themed wooden coaster this year than Green Lantern being operational by July.

You're overlooking that the ride is manufactured on the other side of the world, it's not the Movie World maintenance team who are investigating and solving the issue. Incidents of this nature in the past in other countries have seen a downtime in the years rather than months.

Edited by Brad2912

I actually think a lot of parks undersell the 'live theatre' aspect - the anything can happen and probably will bit. What was it for you djrappa?

I remember being really surprised by a large crowd of people following a Cougar around the park (pretty sure it wasn't a Tiger).

Edited by iwerks

You could go a full day at DW and go on the large array of thrilling rides once or twice each, or you could do what I do and go to MW and do all the really nice and enjoyable rides (scooby doo, arkham asylum, wild west falls, batwing, heck even the road runner coaster is worth a ride or two.) 4 times each and maybe Superman Escape 6 times.

Some would argue that it's not worth 'wasting' a whole day at MW just for Superman, but I'll retaliate by saying that Superman Escape = Pure and Golden Coaster Sex. I cannot get enough of that launch. The launch on the Tower of Terror feels like the trip back down the highway after riding Superman.

You want to experience the tower of terror? Go to a large, empty car park and floor your car in reverse. Want to experience Superman Escape? Unless you drive a Nissan GTR (even one of those isn't quite as fast), you'll have to ride it for yourself.

Edited by AllegroCrab