VRTP Renewals

Brad2912

So I received a renewal email today for my VIP passes expiring June 30th, so a little earlier than I would have expected, but the offer was...

VIP magic passes for $74.99 each and you don't have to pay until the end of June, and you get a free one day admission ticket to bring a friend before the end of June.

Seems a weird offer really. Whilst its cheap (too cheap imo), there is no mention of a 'gold level' or 'night event inclusive' vip pass which is what I've had for the past 5 years. Is this the way VRTP is moving - no longer having an inclusive pass for night events?

The offer is only for renewals not general public, and is only for 2 weeks.

Hesitant to renew incase in 2 weeks another renewal is offered for VIP Gold.

So I received a renewal email today for my VIP passes expiring June 30th, so a little earlier than I would have expected, but the offer was...

VIP magic passes for $74.99 each and you don't have to pay until the end of June, and you get a free one day admission ticket to bring a friend before the end of June.

Seems a weird offer really. Whilst its cheap (too cheap imo), there is no mention of a 'gold level' or 'night event inclusive' vip pass which is what I've had for the past 5 years. Is this the way VRTP is moving - no longer having an inclusive pass for night events?

The offer is only for renewals not general public, and is only for 2 weeks.

Hesitant to renew incase in 2 weeks another renewal is offered for VIP Gold.

I'm in the exact same position. I love my Gold Pass, and although cheaper passes and a free general admission is a great perk, I'm gonna be livid if I renew with this deal then suddenly a deal with the gold pass pops up.

I wonder if sending a email might give some insight to whether there are any future deals...

Edited by Zanstabar

Cue my yearly rant about making stuff up on the fly, no long term vision, under valuing the parks and inconsistent ticketing themes. I think this is being rushed out quite early this year to boost what has been financially a rather lacklustre year. Obviously that'll weigh down next years results and oh my we're back onto no long term vision again aren't we!

I don't mind the idea as a renewal.

As a Victorian, we have had passes but once you have been a couple of times for the year the motivation to go again diminishes.

If the renewal is cheaper though the temptation comes to do it again and take advantage of it.

I'd imagine for locals that effect is amplified because if you had been to the parks lots in 12 months you'd certainly have park fatigue but this could tip you over the line.

I definitely liked the idea of a normal and "premium" pass. But perhaps people got sick of the "free upgrade" promotions?

Either way - the parks shouldn't get their numbers by competing on price. It leads to a race to the bottom, common in the airline industry (although perhaps not Virgin vs Qantas of late). Instead, build the parks up to become something people will pay good money to visit.

Yeah, I have no idea of the numbers.. but you've got to wonder how they're doing their maths. Are they really making that much money from food and souvenir sales that they can charge that little. It would be interesting to see the correlation between when their pass prices started to dip and when they stopped spending big in the capex department.

Just a quick question, would anyone else pay extra for a upper-tier of VIP Pass? With this whole 'bargain bin' approach to the parks, I feel like I'm not really supporting them. Sure, $75 and a free general admission is bloody fantastic, but I feel that a more expensive pass targeted towards the right audience could be great for the growth of the parks.

I am wondering where the Gold Pass is too, because now that I'm a local that's worth a lot to me.

Also, speaking of being a local, I thought there was such a thing as a locals VIP pass, but I see no mention of that on their site. Mind you I certainly wouldn't be expecting it to be cheaper than $75.

I have my doubt about the insight and foresight (or rather lack thereof) of the management of all the Gold Coast parks to be honest.

Maybe I don't speak for everyone, but personally I think theme parks should involve a one-off price for the year (unless you're only going once because you don't live locally) which includes ALL experiences and rides available at the park. That means evening events too! For all that I'd happily pay around $300 per year for the VIP pass, and my World Pass for Dreamworld etc I'd pay about $200 for.

I am concerned about the lack of Gold passes though.

anyone with me in thinking the cheap priceing of the vip pass lead to the closure of the bermuda triangle and looney tunes river ride and what looks like a move away from family dark rides

due to the lower revenues to maintain them

I don't know whether that's why those rides closed, but I do know I'd happily pay a lot more for my passes. About $300 would be reasonable, perhaps with a Gold VIP pass including all night events and costing about $450.

That, in my opinion would represent outstanding value for money and I'd be only too happy to pay it, especially if it meant they could invest in new dark rides.

I noticed a post on Facebook a week or so ago.

Someone was complaining that they like to take their grandchildren into the parks and don't go on the rides, so shouldn't have to pay so much.

I replied that they could just get a VIP pass, and their answer was something like "Wow. Just wow!. Typical answer".

I do hope VRTP aren't taking any notice of that sort of nonsense. People who don't go on any of the rides and think they should be able to get in the parks for next to nothing are obviously not the sort of customers they want.

Having said that, if that person bought a VIP pass they actually would be getting in for next to nothing (assuming they visited more than once).

Edited by pushbutton

I would gladly pay $300 for a pass, but I don't think everything being inclusive would be best, That's just screaming "profit loss". Something a bit more reasonable for me would be access to special events (Maybe previews of Village Roadshow movies? Attraction Openings?) or other incentives around the park (e.g The VIP Food pass included, or a discount on all food and merch). That way, VRTP would still be making money, while the user of the pass would still feel satisfied.

What I meant by everything should be included is I would like to pay more for the VIP pass, but there to be NO attractions in any of the parks which you have to pay per use for. Also (with a Gold pass) the night events should be included.

I certainly didn't mean food and drink and souvenirs should be included!

Another thing though. At the moment I have a Movie World dining pass, which means whenever I go into Ricks diner I get a free buffet lunch including drinks.

That cost me $50 for 6 months. That was too cheap too and I'd happily pay about $200 per year for it. However I can't see any way to renew that either.

Things like ride photos I think are a fair enough extra charge.

Also anyone who wants fast track passes should have to pay for them (although personally I hate them, but that's for another thread perhaps).

***STOP PRESS!!!

I've just found info on the Discovery Passport.

It costs $150 and includes unlimited entry to all 3 VRTP parks for a year, and one entry to Fright Nights and White Christmas (but apparently not Carnivale for some reason).

It also includes a few other extras and discounts which I might or might not use.

Unlike the VIP passes, it's not restricted to July to June (which I've always found odd about VIP passes). You can buy a Discovery Pass whenever you like and it's valid for a year from first use.

Now this could be the new Gold VIP pass, perhaps. I'd still like it to include Carnivale too, but maybe it does and they just haven't bothered to update the site to show that.

https://themeparks.com.au/box-office/combo-pass/discovery-passport.aspx

post-2733-0-02734800-1430558966_thumb.pn

Edited by pushbutton

Ahh I see what you were saying. I think that idea for a pass would be better suited for Dreamworld, where upcharges almost out number coasters.

I wouldn't mind the Discovery Passport being turned into a new version of the gold pass, and I don't think the site for it has been updated for a good couple of years

It seems not. I'm going to Movie World tomorrow, and I'll ask whether the Discovery pass includes Carnivale.

If it does then that's me sorted for 2015-16.

If it doesn't I'll be unhappy about that but it would still almost certainly be better value than the VIP pass if they're not going to make the Gold one available for next year. That's obviously not true for people who don't want to go to the night events, or can't because they don't live close enough.

Edited by pushbutton

Discovery Passport was released a year or two ago. I do consider it to be the 'new' gold VIP pass since they trashed the original gold... but that said i've not been a VRTP passholder for over a year now - they lost my business with several less than fabulous decisions and no new offerings to tempt me in, as well as devaluing what they did offer that i was interested in.

After a year with no passes, i think i'll be buying DW passes - but mainly due to a particular event coming up in the next 6 months.