Nintendo is coming to Universal Studios Theme Parks

(Source: Kotaku)

Think Nintendo Land, but real. Today, Nintendo announced it is bringing its games and characters to Universal theme parks.

The immersive experiences will include major attractions at Universals theme parks and will feature Nintendos most famous characters and games, stated an official release. To be clear, this isnt a full-on Nintendo theme park. Rather, Universal theme parks will create spectacular, dedicated experiences based on Nintendos wildly popular games, characters and worlds. In short, Nintendo-themed attractions in Universal parks.

This isnt out of the blue for Nintendo. Countless times, the idea of a theme park has been debated and discussed, and there have been rumours in various forms, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata previously said in 2010. But at the present moment, there are no concrete plans. At that time, Nintendo felt as though the amusement park would need to have an original spin, and Iwata did not rule out the possibility.

Universal Studios Japan has experience bringing video game worlds to life and has teamed up with Capcom for temporary Monster Hunter and Resident Evil attractions.

More details will be announced in the future, the release added, as the Nintendo and Universal creative teams work to create specific concepts.

What's your thoughts on this?

If they rethemed Incredible Hulk, they should do it to Star Fox. Much more appropriate than theming it to Bowser or Zelda. A Wing coaster with Arwing themed cars would be so cool! Fire Emblem themed ride anyone? Yoshi themed family coaster (Verbolten esque) Too many possibilities. I'm sure they won't theme the rides to just Mario.

Could this be the re theme for IOA's superhero land that is suppose to be re themed?

Despite the suggestion by Screamscape to the contrary, Marvel is staying. Discussions between Disney and Universal are about the renovation of the area to bring it into line with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, not scrap to Marvel entirely.

I'd be thinking Universal Studios Florida's KidZone would be a more likely location.

...I'm not an avid follower of the Nintendo universe, but i'm familiar with it's stalwarts. I'd have to say Star Fox wouldn't mean anything to me, whereas Zelda or Bowser would make much more sense.

I guess thats the same as Starro in JL3D... but it's the heroes, not the villains that matter in that story... and stars are easy to spot, and shoot.

I think as long as the main characters are easily identifiable there will be no problems for anyone. A ride based around Mario and Luigi is going to get more public recognition than, let's say Little Mac from Punch Out.

Both are classic video games, but one is ingrained into the public zeitgeist while the other is floating around in its relevant communities.