Universal Studios Singapore Trip report. 7/05/15

Morphix

WOW, it's that time again where I remember about those forums i used to read ten years ago, unfortunately since logging in today it seems much of my post

history and trips reports have been lost, possibly due to forum upgrades through the years. It's to be noted that whatever I am about to write is exclusively for here, and I may return to read it as a diary in the future so I hope it is not lost.

USS is my second international theme park the first being holiday park in germany.

I had been staying in singapore for a week as a holiday before spending a few nights on sentosa, and of course a full day at USS would be in order. This review is for Thursday the 7th of May.

The night before and the first night on the island, I walked down to the globe and gate to boost my excitement. The epic motion picture score in the background builds the atmosphere lingering the area. I also took advantage for this quiet time to pose 1 on 1 with the spinning globe before snapping out the canon 100d for more artsy gate shots.

Prior to the trip I had also done considerable research on trip advisor, google, and emailing the park wondering if anything would be closed for maintenance, as there was no obvious info on the website unlike australian parks where info of closure is posted months in advance. I of course knew the BSG was not functional and looking on google maps and the size of the park wondering if you can really fill a whole day there.

The next morning we arranged to meet prior to opening time at the gate. I had a feeling they would open the gates early if queues were building, however there were maybe a few hundred people before gates were open at 9,45am.

We wandered along main street to the central point and worked anticlockwise taking a few selfies here and there.. I specifically left the DSLR at home and traded it for a sony point and shoot which stays in my pocket on all rides. I note that all retail shops are operational but think the educated park goer would only ever purchase items before heading home rather than holding it all day.

Transformers seemed to be the first major stop in our anti clockwise adventure. I note the Insanely long queue area and estimate waits at 90 minutes if full. But for now at 10am it's 5 minutes. I own the first recent movie on dvd and really enjoyed it but I know little about the franchise. I would say the technology behind the ride is pretty amazing, I was fooled to feel like I was falling towards the end of the ride, but with all the hype I was a little underwhelmed and I’d rate it 7/10. We only rode it once more later in the day to a 15 minute queue, the 2nd ride I tried to observe the track layout and technology a little more but i really have no idea on the track layout.

I did notice wearing the glasses creates a almost perfect letterbox of vision to only the screen/projections, the frame of the glasses blocking the roof.

Exit through $$$ and we are back heading anti clockwise. Photos were taken of BSG. It looks ready to go in a way, clear signage and nothing covered up, Empty trains were spotted several times during the day, possible testing?, Also located close by was a standard spinning cha cha type ride, with its own theming, skipped it because it's super common. One of the buildings at the base of BSG looked like it could have a graviton in it due to the shape but its probably a gift shop with UFO theming.

Next approaching was the lavishly themed mummy precinct. I did love the movies at being 10-12 at the time was quite scary to watch. Amusing how people struggle to read signs and that no bag or loose items can be taken on the ride, 2-3 staff all day here pointing the sheep towards the free lockers.

Again a maze of dark corridors to reach the station, 5 minute wait one station side operating.

This is possibly the best themed ride I have ever been on, nothing compares to the first time for a ride like this better than the SDSC even in consideration of 10 year technology gap. The launch up the hill was exciting following the fast section, staff enthusiastically clap you to the station however less so as the day progresses. I rode a further 6 times later in the day, with zero waits and empty trains after 5pm. My favourite ride.

Next up was Jurassic park River rapids, about a 20 minute wait quite early in the day, was keen to polish it off incase of afternoon storm and closure. Just the usual rapid ride really, rode only once, got one leg quite wet.

Sometime soon came Shrek 4D. the pre show was a little long and i have a feeling it could be the same show I’ve seen at movieworld back in 2007. Always good to head into shows like this to escape the heat, exit through gift shop that is shared by other attractions. Singapore Spend consume spend.

Heading back to Jurassic park for the canopy flyer and lunch. 5 minute Line the ride is very quickly over, but nice to feel the wind on your legs.

Food and drink is not as expensive as australia, Water under $3 and singapore chicken rice about $12, better than a greasy burger.

A little later headed to the waterworld show, a movie which I watched over and over as a 10year old on VHS, show was about half full, Sat in the wet zone and enjoyed the pre show bantering and crowd warm ups, as for the show, the plane was the most exciting part. 7/10

There are lots of young Families here today with kids, the fixed track car ride near mummy a 30 minute wait. Now we are filling in the gaps, the donkey show was next, this was a little surprising.

Again beautiful airconditioning inside, the show started off a few light laughs, and seemed scripted, the live actor appearing to speak between the gaps of a pre recorded donkey, however then donkey started accurately pointing out countries and clothing of member of the audience, and then my friend was chosen to go to the front, his questions, name and things all said by donkey, in a perfect Eddie murphy voice. I don’t know how they did it!

Next we were heading to the new Puss in boots ride, but it had just broken down, we never make it back again to try it, even after later spotting it in operation again from a distance. I later watched on ride footage and decided that will do.

Next it was a hop skip and jump to the small coaster by the water, descent first drop time and with views to match I reached for my camera but was told not to. Rode once only similar to road runner coaster at MW.

Next we finished the circle with the slow boat ride, before heading for a milkshake at the american diner, then sesame street happens to be beginning so off we went. More AIR CON BLISS in a nice theatre but the show is really only for kids.

Since we were all kiddled out we didn’t try the other Kid show next door but did stop for Lights Camera Action. I was expecting something like the old soundstage at Movieworld. The attraction itself might be outdated since I feel everything would be Done in green screen, but there were a few surprises and the water out of the building looked amazing.

We headed home at around 6,30pm. After some basic Merchandise, I have an Idea,I like to see a theme park, for One week, Drop the prices for Onride photos from say $20 to $7, and see if you can actually make more money through volume of sales rather than x30 mark up.

It was a great day and Time went fast, I just reckon they need two more big adult rides but they are tight for space.

This is a fair representation of the park based on my trip a few years ago. I found JP Rapids to be quite soaking - though I guess it would depend on the season, as well as the position in the raft. The finale was definitely the strong point on this ride.

I did find ROTM's queue to be incredibly long for what it was (longer than the queues at Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor as i've just written about).

I do feel one can spend a full day at USS - although this depends on your interest... and whether you 'skip' things you aren't interested in, or experience everything.

Shrek 4D is the same film as what was previously at MW - however I feel like USS does a far better job with the '4th dimension' aspect of the film as the effects are far more immersive than those used previously at MW.

The best part of resorts world sentosa is if you're done with the park - there is plenty more to do in Sentosa Island - I found USS to be a 1.5 day park to fully experience everything (especially when interrupted by tropical showers), and the other half day can easily be spent on the various Sentosa attractions, including 'Songs of the Sea'.

We also did the 400m flying fox, which you had to buy as a bundle with a 4d log film and the fox, for $50 it was weak. I'd pay low 20's for the flying fox and skip the movie alltogether.

The indoor sky diving at iFLY was awesome, but excluding the brief and the fun of watching others the price you actually pay for yourself to fly in the wind tunnel is almost ONE DOLLAR A SECOND.

Did you go to the waterpark? It seems like you skipped quite a few attractions. What about Madagascar? Or is that your reference to the 'slow boat'?

The layout of Transformers is certainly interesting. I've never been on it but I've looked it up online. The ride actually occurs over two levels with two elevators to bring the cars up to the second level and then back down again. Apparently the transition is seamless with most people being completely unaware of the existence of the elevators and the two level structure.

There's also a Sesame St dark ride just as you come into NY that I think you missed.

Great trip report....More Aussies who want to visit a big, highly themed park should get a cheap scoot flight to SG and visit ( Plus Singapore is nice too)

Hopefully BSG will be up and running soon.

Edited by Gazza

If you know what you're looking for you can find the elevators inside Transformers - they're the large wrap around screen stops. You'll notice the base not moving, but the car might tilt and spin a little. The section where you feel like you're falling is where you are actually descending.

I've been to USS 3 times now, and gone on fewer things each time. BSG really is the star attraction there. Dejiki posted a glimpse of what they've done with the queue areas since the shutdown and they're looking better than they were the first time I got to ride them. My pick of the two is the Cylon side - I found it a great ride, while the Human side made me feel ill.

Revenge of the Mummy is great, and they change the queue configuration throughout the day so every time I went it was different. Jurassic Park is just a rapids ride, but it gets some ridiculous queues.