Movie World speculation and dreaming - 2015 edition

Brad2912

That was the 'broad brush stroke' version to, I can go into extreme detail if you want?

Basically, it's themed to the house of the undying, and the Warlock welcomes you, tells you that you are his guest till the end of time, just like happened at the end of season 2 to Daenrys . He says you can't leave until you face your fears, and you travel through doorways looking for a way out, and each time you pass into a doorway, you go through a different scary part of the show; The Dredfort, Ild Valyria, House of Black and White (the room with the faces specifically), the dungeon holding the dragons, narrow streets of Mareen, a black cell in Kings Landing (because budgets are fun!) and finally North of the Wall. Varys then jumps out at you in a hurry and shows you the exit.

Does that help? :P

Edited by joz

I have no interest in the series despite most of my in-laws falling over themselves to see it at the earliest opportunity. I'm aware of the basic concept of the books show, and of the explicit content shown, but frankly don't see what all the fuss is about, and have no interest to delve into it further...

to the detail, basic or extreme doesn't help as I have no idea what it all means.

I think the point to be made here is that the series itself is very polarising - "you either love it or you hate it" sorta thing. Sure they could make a great maze out of it (I don't watch much in the way or horror flicks, but can appreciate a well themed maze with the requisite 'scares' built in as much as the next person) - but your description of the story or theme means nothing to me.

Mad max would be an incredible fit for a HSD replacement. That movie was advertised like crazy towards the car scene, and rightly so, because the cars in that movie are things of beauty. They're just incredible.

For a bit of insight here's Mighty Car Mods' latest episode where they test a Mad Max themed car that they built in previous episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3phb0uF2sPQ

I could see the HSD set being replaced by a desert setting with sand dune ramps. We could finally bring back those explosion effects and they would actually make sense. The cast could have some pretty ridiculous looking costumes akin to the movie. We could have a proper hero/villian kind of situation. It would make for a real show, where the stunt driving is just an accessory, rather than the premise to the whole show.

I think the biggest problem with HSD is that it's just regular blokes driving cars erratically in a car park, there's no magic to it. You could find the same thing in a Western Sydney McDonald's car park at 3 in the morning.

Also, am I right in saying they would have the rights to make a Hobbit themed attraction? Just another recent title that could be the setting for a pretty good attraction. A series that appeals to pretty much all ages.

Also, about game of thrones. It's an extremely popular series at the moment, but the audience is way too specific. It's not (well at least I hope it's not) something that the kids are into. I find that generally, someone has either seen every episode, or they've seen none. It's not the kind of series that has engaged people of all ages, but rather just a selection of older teenagers and young adults. (The key here is the word "generally").

Personally, if they do something good with it, and pull it off well, then I don't care, but I think the Hobbit would be a better series to make a ride for, it's more encapsulating of all generations of audiences. I also don't think there are any GoT rides you could make where they wouldn't work just as well with a LotR/Hobbit theme.

Edited by AllegroCrab

I think the point to be made here is that the series itself is very polarising - "you either love it or you hate it" sorta thing

See in my experience it's either you've watched it or you haven't. It's one of those shows that if you've given it a shot, you've liked it, and those few who don't like it just go 'it's not my sort of thing'. I'm yet to meet anyone who says they watched it and hated it (without then adding something like 'Fantasy/medieval stuff is stupid!').

Also I was well aware from your previous post you don't watch it, which is why I thought it would be fun just to go into more detail as a response, but thanks for playing along!

Anyway, I didn't mean to get sidetracked by it, I don't find talking about one show for a halloween maze that might be hard to get a license to a particularly interesting diversion on what has so far been a fairly interesting thread. Oh and Mad Max maze? Good thinking!

Edited by joz

Mad Max Maze would be pretty cool but it wouldn't be Mad Max without crazy stunts, so I doubt it would fit the franchise. The apocalypse is one of my favourite themes and I would really love to see a maze based around that concept, but I don't think tying it in to Mad Max and not having any cars doing jumps, ramming each other or exploding would fit.

As for GOT, Maze would do, land would not. It's just a bit too adult to have at the parks day-to-day. If MW went with GOT, why not bring along a Clockwork Orange while they're at it? Maybe some Tarantino as well? In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind seeing if they could do a bit of a meet and greet with some of the characters. Maybe then, they could tone it down a bit and make it a bit more acceptable.

There's a lot of reasons it wouldn't fit, content for one, the fact that it's not a Movie or a WB/Village property for two, and the fact that once a TV show is finished, that's pretty much it, it's dated and no one cares anymore. Maybe it's because you can watch a movie randomly, but no one would say 'hey let's watch the 4th episode of the 3rd season of Breaking Bad!'

The only thing from a TV show I'd like to see permanently if for Village Bean on mainstreet to be turned into 'Central Perk' from friends, as its a WB show and people will still watch the occasional episode.

slap the right decal on the window, put in a couch or two and call it whatever you want. It doesn't have to be a 'true to the set' reconstruction. Just call it that and be done with it!

No need to get annoyed, I'm just thinking with the best of intentions.

Is Village Bean a franchise, or just a one off for Movieworld?

I believe it's just a one off. Haven't seen anything about them anyway, as with Prime Burgers.

Being one of the best executed additions to the park IMO in recent times Id be hesitant to throw resources at changing Village Bean.

Time could be better utilised on so many other areas of the park.

I'm with joz. Relocate Boot Hill down to WWF area and target the whole original western section of the park for a major makeover including repurposing or demolishion of the show stage.

The fright nights maze could easily go back into the tent on the slab and if thought out in advance the new Boot Hill could be designed to allow it to work as a scare zone also.

Edited by djrappa

A few years ago i started brainstorming on how a Mad Max ride could be properly implemented, and what i had thought of originally, was an Interceptor suspended below a single rail moving through scenes and sets. But reading through this, another idea i came up with was an Italian Job/Backlot Stunt Coaster esque ride.

And in terms of how to pull off a maze correctly, a walk through or by the Thunderdome just as a fight is finishing with the victor then chasing you like Norman at Universal could work well. And if they're willing to go the extra mile for that extra Holy Shit! moment, a car crashing through the wall will do wonders.

I don't know if this has been discuses else where but there is something going on over at the back of the car park at Movie World. The grass area is fenced off and has a site office, the garden bed that runs the entire of the back of the car park and the exit road had orange bollards and there is a LED message boars at the entrance and at that garden bed. Thoughts?

post-29848-0-09933200-1432117063_thumb.j

post-29848-0-68063300-1432117107_thumb.j

post-29848-0-80364600-1432117155_thumb.j

post-29848-0-30254400-1432117229_thumb.j

Edited by lifeofsamage

I'd love it if they were preparing for a major expansion of Movie World. However I'd be very surprised, especially given how little they're charging people to go into the existing park, and especially considering how much existing space is not being fully utilised.

Such an expansion would be the stuff of dreams, but having only just moved to this paradise that we call the Gold Coast, I'm more than content with the 5 wonderful theme parks (and the many other excellent attractions) we've got, and the sizes that they are.

I think perhaps it will be a circus, but that's purely a guess.

One thing we've got to remember is MW don't own the carpark or that land, they rent it off the council (unless it has changed). And that grassed area has been used for small events in the past. That grassed area has been used for Sanctuary Cove boat show parking and Christmas Carols. If anything, I'd imagine that it would be an extention of the current carpark.

I'm pretty sure they have the circus over near Westfield Helensvale, so I doubt that.

An expansion would be great, especially if they added a couple more "filler" attractions. MW is in desperate need of some simple flats that fit the theme of the land nicely, while not stealing away too many people from the blockbuster attractions.

One thing we've got to remember is MW don't own the carpark or that land, they rent it off the council (unless it has changed). And that grassed area has been used for small events in the past. That grassed area has been used for Sanctuary Cove boat show parking and Christmas Carols. If anything, I'd imagine that it would be an extention of the current carpark.

If it's been used for boatshow parking then that must be what it is, considering that is on this weekend.

I'm pretty sure they have the circus over near Westfield Helensvale, so I doubt that.

That was a travailing circus. That land is being turned into markets similar to Eat Street Markets.

The thought did cross my mind of building a resort. They did apply to build a resort over near Wet n Wild a few years back. The extended Car Park makes more since tho.

Now a resort would make a great deal of sense, and could be a brilliant move. Guests would have easy access to not just Movie World, but also Wet & Wild and Outback Spectacular and Paradise Country.

They could include access to all these parks for guests for the duration of their stay at the resort.

Sea World has one, and I've often wondered why the other parks don't.

Surely it would have been publicised, or information about such plans would have been leaked well before construction actually commenced though, so I doubt it.

If MW did add a resort, I believe they would have to have some sort of Downtown Disney/CityWalk esque attraction, similar to the Warner Village Precint proposed by Wyatt Design Group (

If I was travelling, staying next to a park would be enticing but I feel you would need something else to do. In MW case, you've got all WnW, AOS, Paradise Country, and that's where it ends. Some sort of precinct linking all these attractions would not only take out some of the need for transportation between parks but would also give the guests another incentive to stay at Oxenford, rather than on the Broadwater