Movie World speculation and dreaming - 2015 edition

Brad2912

• 1 month later...

I know I'm bringing this back up again, but I only just saw Mad Max: Fury Road last night. Every single inch of me wants MW to do SOMETHING with this property. Whether it's my dream coaster, a stunt show or even a exhibit, if MW doesn't add anything to tie in with what is now the 10th best rated film of all time then I will be severely disappointed.

In saying that I would still love to see this franchise be transitioned into a coaster. I just feel like this franchise would be one where you want to experience it first hand and sit in the front seat of the War Rig, rather than just watching it happen in a show. My ideal addition would be a coaster that takes some of the elements from rides like Nemesis, Maverick and Wicked Cyclone. If they made a smooth Intamin LSM coaster with the slaloming turns of Maverick, the environmental interaction of Nemesis, and the hills and overbanks of Wicked Cyclone then I think they would be onto a winner. 

I think the easiest thing for them to pull off would be to introduce Mad Max to HWSD. It wouldn't take much to convert the sets into an apocalyptic wasteland, get some suitably themed vehicles, and shoot a 'scene' from the next Mad Max movie. Audience participation still pretty much the same - some nice green screen shots of people acting on camera - maybe just have a 'front-only' costume they can throw over the person's shoulders that would take 5 seconds to do. have some prop guns - a big 50cal or similar.

It'd also give much more relevance to the giant fireball at the end...

HWSD 3 - Fury Road?

I think the easiest thing for them to pull off would be to introduce Mad Max to HWSD. It wouldn't take much to convert the sets into an apocalyptic wasteland, get some suitably themed vehicles, and shoot a 'scene' from the next Mad Max movie. Audience participation still pretty much the same - some nice green screen shots of people acting on camera - maybe just have a 'front-only' costume they can throw over the person's shoulders that would take 5 seconds to do. have some prop guns - a big 50cal or similar.

It'd also give much more relevance to the giant fireball at the end...

HWSD 3 - Fury Road?

Even that sounds like a winner. This property would most likely be amazing with any attraction. I just hope that they actually utilise it.

I think they're better suited to 'movie making' show than 'live in the theme' show.

Water World is meant to be 'living inside the movie' - everything is done as 'reality'.

HWSD's set is set up to be 'we're shooting a movie' - the big screen, the multiple cameras, the 'production' facility to compile it all together. I think they're better suited to keeping to a theme (like LMA) where the pretence of the show is 'we're shooting something for a movie - and you're here to watch how we do it"

I must admit I hate the 'filming a fake movie' theme.  The original HSD did it better than LMA, but those types of shows tend to have no flow.  It's do things, stop, do things, stop.  

Don't pretend to film a sequel to Mad Max, because you're not and that'd be lame to watch.  Make the Stunt Show the sequel.  To me that makes the show so much more compelling.  People don't want to watch the making of Mad Max, the want to see Mad Max, otherwise the DVD extras would be playing at the cinema rather than the actual film. 

This is Mad Max we're talking about though. I'm sure they would find a way to make a giant TV Screen fit into the story. They have a truck with nothing but subwoofers for god's sake!

The filming of a film wouldn't be the worst idea ever, but it wouldn't be the best. It'll be an improvement on the existing offering but it wouldn't be the best thing since sliced bread. One thing that did cross my mind with the stunt show utilising the Mad Max license was the show's target audience. The stunt show has always attracted families with children, and I doubt it would be appropriate for the show to feature a franchise that contains some pretty adult material, including (but not limited to...) gore, violence and some sexual themes, not to mention...

Some good old facial mutilation and a post-mortem caesarean section thrown in for good mix.

I'm sure the little ones will absolutely love it!

Edited by Zanstabar

If they get rid of the giant screen in the arena so they can retheme it - i'm camping out outside security for the next lot sale...

Mad Max involving lots of vehicle stunts could see them re-purpose the 'car flyover' rig on the bridge too...

this really has merit...

I would honestly see this hypothetical show. My top preference would still be a coaster, but that's just because I want to be in the front seat. Regardless, seeing the physical stunts of a Mad Max film would be insane. 

Also, would they stay with a complete serious tone or maybe add some slapstick? I do prefer a show with a bit of humour, but I don't think Mad Max trying to survive in post-nuclear Australia is the place to add some Police Academy style comedy.

After seeing the new trailer for Batman Vs Superman, I wonder if MW will try to cash in with it somehow. They already have posters strewn across the park, why not up the ante? 

I feel like this may be a great time to give SE a bit more extra detailing. I would love to see them make the station and queue look more like a subway then a beige box, as well as the exteriors to be given some proper theming rather than a soundstage. Maybe add some fake trees in the helix portion and retheme it around Centennial Park. I know that I find rides much more exciting when you whiz by objects rather than fly high in the air.  The cherry on top for me would be if they themed the launch track. Imagine what it would be like if we had something akin to Universal's Earthquake scene happen right before rocketing up the top hat. 

Once again, this is more on the dreaming side. I highly doubt MW can justify the expense to add detail to a ride that isn't even that old or in bad shape. It's just me wanting to see Superman become a 10. 

Anyone else think they're going to try and tie in the film with something at the parks?

I honestly don't mind that there isn't much theming outside the building. 

They could definitely do something to spice up the inside of the subway and the queue line though.

I think the concrete walls are boring, and the lighting isn't correct. I'd prefer tiled walls and floors in station sections (both the loading station and the stations that you travel through in the dark ride section. I'd love to see those green struts typical of New York subway stations as well.

As for lighting, it should be dark like it currently is for the non-station segments, and it should have a sort of yellowy hue in the station areas, perhaps with flickering lights due to the earthquake. The lighting needs some variety, but currently we have a fluorescently lit station, then a dreary dark concrete subway with no lighting effects at all.

These upgrades aren't feasable though, the park should just move on to bigger and better things. Superman is still going to be my favourite ride in the country regardless, but after riding Storm for the first time last week and seeing how well they've done the indoor section for that, I've realised how dull Superman's indoor theming is in comparison.

These upgrades aren't feasable though, the park should just move on to bigger and better things. Superman is still going to be my favourite ride in the country regardless, but after riding Storm for the first time last week and seeing how well they've done the indoor section for that, I've realised how dull Superman's indoor theming is in comparison.

This is pretty similar to why I suggested the idea. The Storm blew me out of the water with it's immersion. It felt like a cyclone had torn throw the park. Even Justice League makes me feel immersed in the world. 

Then I look at Superman and just see potential for something greater in regards to theming. They could make it so much better, however that may cost them some money which they may not be prepared to fork out, especially on just a refurb on a ride that isn't really that old. 

To be honest... I hope not. The park is already DC comic saturated with half their major rides based on superheroes. I would prefer to see something different, not just more batman and superman ?

A refurb on SE would be greta because it can update the ride into the current DCCU, without having them add another bloody DC ride. Only DC additions that I wouldn't be too angry about would be a simple flat in the DC corner to soak up more people, or a madhouse over near Arkham. 

Not a terrible idea Zanstabar but certainly extremely unlikely. I'd be happy if they installed a smoke machine in there so you couldn't see the track ahead prior to the launch 

What would be the likelihood of this being maintained though? I'd be pretty annoyed if it went the same way as the other smoke effects

As for lighting, it should be dark like it currently is for the non-station segments, and it should have a sort of yellowy hue in the station areas, perhaps with flickering lights due to the earthquake. 

But the earthquake doesn't hit until you're on board - the theme is that you're going for a ride on the MRT. If the lights in the station were flickering - that would suggest that the earthquake had already hit, in which case what are you doing queuing to get on board a subway train when you should be evacuating the station?

But the earthquake doesn't hit until you're on board - the theme is that you're going for a ride on the MRT. If the lights in the station were flickering - that would suggest that the earthquake had already hit, in which case what are you doing queuing to get on board a subway train when you should be evacuating the station?

I didn't make this perfectly clear. There's a segment themed to a station that you travel through after leaving the actual coaster station. This is where flickering lights would make sense.

Let's say they did add some exterior facades, themed the queue line with some more detail, added some minor effects in the dark ride, and themed the launch track, what would be the price range? Surely it wouldn't be $10,000,000 like JL, but I honestly have no clue at how much it would cost them.

If they were to make any changes, my major gripes are definitely the queue line, the launch track and the exteriors. If they could fix those up to the standards of some of their latest investments, then I'll be a very happy camper.

$10,000,000?

Ten. Million. Dollars? in THEMING? (I'm sure you mean $10,000 or $100,000 right?)

I would say $10,000 would make a noticeable difference.... $100,000 would put some of the technical people at VRTP into a 'kid in a candy store' situation that would really give us some "wow"... I'd probably throw that much at JDS and make it look much better \ more real first though.

I'd love to see VRTP throw money at one attraction each year on a "whether it needs it or not" basis just to let the guys behind the scenes come up with ideas on how to 'make it better'. This would see a cycle of continuous improvement go throughout the park. I'm not talking millions - maybe only 100k a year or something outside the current maintenance \ refresh regime.