Movie World speculation and dreaming - 2015 edition

Brad2912

You'd think there must be something in the pipeline, possibly being expedited with the GL downtime

Indeed. Thought it was kinda ironic that out of all the ride photos they could have used, the new VIP passes just *had* to have a big picture of the GL on the back of them as well lol.

Sucks they are one coaster down atm, that's one less ride we will be able to look forward to this weekend when we visit MW for the first time in over 2 years -_- I think the only new attraction that has been added in that time is the Driving Academy, so not really much of a worthy substitute. Although my 5 year old will probably disagree with me :lol:

Agreed, but having been able to spend more time in all the parks now I live here it is clear to me that Movie World is the very clear leader in terms of entertainment (as you would expect given movies are the theme).

There's shows going on all day throughout the park, and most of them are pretty good.

I believe the suggestion was for a family RIDE - which of course the park could do with - another 'all ages' ride like scooby doo.

Although given as an example, I don't think the mentioning of scooby was intended to imply another coaster. There are already two coasters suitable for 'younger families' - RRRC and SDSC.

I know the park doesn't have much space to achieve it - but another family dark ride would be nice. One only has to look at the fantasyland dark ride suite of attractions to see that they don't have to be very big to still be popular and enjoyable for all ages. Attach a suitable theme using existing IP and you're on a winner.

Yep - good idea, but the relevance of that theme is too far out of date. Young Einstein's gravity homestead is a perfect example of a great 'movie' themed attraction however its relevance in today's market is precisely nil.

Ignoring IP issues resulting from competing production companies - you'd be better placed to put in a Hannah Montana themed country farmhouse with a darkride themed around her recording studio, and psychedelic (psychotic) dreams based on her outlandish behaviour... it worked for Alice in Wonderland.

Yes, but Superman Returns (2006) and Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice (2016) are far more recent, not to mention the Franchise has had ongoing success since inception.

Likewise - Batman's first film debut was 1943, but 2012's Dark Knight Rises keeps it relevant, and the franchise never really died off.

I guess the relevance argument could be made for the James Franco version 'Oz the Great and Powerful' - but that's a long time between drinks for a less-than-blockbuster story... and certainly the franchise has not 'kept current' the same way batman or superman have.

Between Disney's recent reboot, the Wicked musical and of course the ubiquitous original film I'd say it's a brand that's still very much relevant. I however doubt Movie World in 2015 has the creative gusto to be able to pull off anything like this well, and it's really a brand that should either be done amazingly or not at all.

Movie World has a Dirty Harry bar, a Casablanca restaurant and an entire area and major attraction modeled after 1950s westerns. There's a handful of WB properties that are timeless, and Wizard of Oz would definitely fit the bill. It wouldn't be the worst thing to see Movie World take a break from comic books and video games to try something with a bit of longevity once again.

Ok - fair call. Sorry Zanstabar... Wicked hadn't factored into my thinking.

I'd suggest re: Dirty Harry and Casablaca - thats more through apathy about working in a more relevant theme than anything else. I'd suggest most people wouldn't connect Rick's to anything these days, and as for Dirty Harry - older guests would remember it - but again most people don't take much notice of it.

As for WWF - it's really a generic theme - it's "western" which can fit any of the many western films ever made, and seeks to focus on the 'era' rather than a particular franchise or film (these days). 'Oz Land' wouldn't be something they could achieve IMO... but i'm definitely up for anything they want to do that doesn't focus on a comic.

Definitely agree with Richard that MW would not have the creative nouse nor funds to do justice to the property, wheather relevant or not.

Also agree with Alex 90% of people walking into Ricks have no clue who Rick is or that he ever was a movie character. Rick for all they know is the name of the Chef

Now I'm imagining MW installing a Break Dance in a similar vain of "Dark Rebel" but with Diplo's Express Yourself and Miley's tongue flashing everywhere. I think I need eye bleach

You'd actually need brain bleach, not eye bleach, as you're imagining it, not seeing it.

Don't forget Wild West Falls was once Wild Wild West -- themed to a (poor) movie of the same name.

Edited by GoGoBoy

if by themed, you mean they put up posters of the movie in various places, and played a movie snippet in the queueline before you board - then yes it was themed to a movie.

I'd hardly call that 'themed' - 'tie in' would be about as far as i'd go... theres not one part of the ride that has any resemblance to the story, theme, plot, characters or filming locations that were used... they both just happened to have a reasonably generic 'western' theme and conveniently were both due for release at a similar enough time that a tie-in was feasible.

It was themed to westerns in general, but with a particular focus on the film Rio Bravo. At the last min they changed the name of the ride to Wild Wild West as a tie in to the film that was coming out.

Well there you go. You learn something new every day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053221/

However based on the description, either I chose the wrong movie or this would only be a tie-in as well?

I'd love to see a very well themed and interactive walk through attraction (at any of the parks, but Dreamworld for the purposes of this thread).

It could have a small ride component to it as well which transports you through part or all of the experience. Be that a lift (like in Aussie Worlds Illusionarium) or a boat, mine train or whatever.

Apart from at Halloween when Movie World has Fright Night mazes, I don't think any of the Gold Coast parks has a single walk through.

As for my preferred themes for any new dark ride or walk through, I'd love to see either Doctor Who or The Simpsons.