Movie World speculation and dreaming - 2015 edition

Brad2912

13 hours ago, webslave said:

The image is 960x720 - which is what Facebook resizes it to.  Given the image appears to be lifted off their Facebook page I'd say we shouldn't be too surprised here.

Where are you getting that from? 

I've uploaded many pics to FB that are much larger than that. I even double checked and I've got one 1152 x 2048

That's better quality, thanks.

$22 is extortion for a Burrito, even by Theme Park food pricing standards. As someone asked earlier, in what way is this 'build your own?' I also think 'Bar & Grill' isn't a particularly apt name choice, DH Saloon or Cantina would have suited better. 'Grill' to me means you're at least serving steaks. 

I'm thinking perhaps they give you more than one tortilla - if it's build your own, they aren't going to dish up all the sides on the side, so that you end up leaving half on the plate. if it's more than one tortilla, $22 isn't bad.

As for build your own - the menu says MAKE YOUR OWN - the 'on the side' method means it is 'make your own' - you have to put it together. If it said 'build' i'd agree you should be able to pick and choose ingredients - make your own just means the kitchen doesn't do it for you #labourcosts

DH's theme isn't western. so Saloon doesn't work. It isn't Mexican (although the food is) so Cantina doesn't really work either.

If they're able to produce tender flank steak, they should be able to serve up a simple steak and salad also, and hopefully they offer this in the future once they determine the success of the outlet. #timewilltell

1 hour ago, djrappa said:

$20 for restaurant standard food is completely reasonable especially in a theme park. 

Think some of your have been eating a chain outlets too much and are not in touch with modern day dining prices. 

My issue is I'd never consider a burrito to be a restaurant standard food. I don't have much of an issue with theme park food prices, it just seems a lot for a burrito. I'll have to give it a go and see what it's like to judge the value

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

My issue is I'd never consider a burrito to be a restaurant standard food. I don't have much of an issue with theme park food prices, it just seems a lot for a burrito. I'll have to give it a go and see what it's like to judge the value

This is a burrito

guzman23.jpg

This is a burrito

Burrito-Shop1.jpg

We also still don't know how many tortillas you get for that price... so if it's more than one, it's more than generous - but as Rappa mentioned, for the quality and standard of the offering - even if it is one, it's still reasonable given the setting.

Pretty much anything can be made fancy enough to suit a restaurant setting... although they're more difficult to eat with cutlery so you're still eating with your hands. I'd say it qualifies.

2 hours ago, Zanstabar said:

The fish tacos sound delicious but $19? They better be amazing for me to pay that much repeatedly 

One day you'll understand... :D

Edited by AlexB

This is why I think they should bring in outside operators to run the on-park restaurants. 

They could have done a deal with Mad Mex or Guzman Y Gomez, or Salsas. Get the operator to sign a contract agreeing not to charge more than they do at their other sites. 

Those companies already pay sky-high rents in shopping centres and manage to sell burritos at about $10. 

Since there's no reason for theme parks to charge more rent than shopping centres do, I see no reason for the prices to be higher. 

On 14 November 2015 at 8:45 AM, reanimated35 said:

Greg Yong (General Manager VRTP) posted this shot of some new food offerings at DHB. Looks good :)

What is wrong you peopl?? This is not 'just a burrito' and is certainly worth $20. 

The idea of having chain restaurants in the park is the worst thing I've ever heard. 

All everyone bitches about is wanting better food offerings. We get them and now you complain about the price being unreasonable. 

Get a grip. 

5 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

My issue is I'd never consider a burrito to be a restaurant standard food. 

Hmm I would say that the hundreds of Mexican themed restaurants around Australia would disagree with you on this one.

I certainly do.

Of course a Burrito is a restaurant standard food. Why on earth would  it not be?

Mexican/tex mex is one of the highest cost vs profit ratio of all cuisines. Costs comparatively little and the profits are very good. It's a pretty obvious choice to include when looking for a new avenue.

You can pretty much guarantee they have worked out exactly what each portion costs and how much profit they can generate vs leasing to an outside source. If they think they could make more money off getting a franchise in, I reckon it's a safe bet that would happen. Especially considering there are a few seasonal outlets in the park that spend a lot of the year closed.

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

One day you'll understand... :D

giphy.gif.58352c8150f7fcd7582c659bd365df

4 hours ago, pushbutton said:

This is why I think they should bring in outside operators to run the on-park restaurants. 

They could have done a deal with Mad Mex or Guzman Y Gomez, or Salsas. Get the operator to sign a contract agreeing not to charge more than they do at their other sites.

I'm not a fan of the use of outside operators. If I am at a shopping centre I'm content with eating at Guzman or Salsa's, mainly because it's a brand that I am used to. Yet, when I'm at the parks, I want something different. I don't go to the parks to get the same $11 Barramundi Burrito I do at the Myer Centre; I want something special.

Take the Oreo Churros for example. I don't know about you guys, but I for one don't normally eat Oreo Churros in my day to day life, so when I'm at the parks I'm sure to pounce on the opportunity. Why? Because it's not the norm for me. It's a special occasion for me to be at the parks so why not treat myself?

5 hours ago, pushbutton said:

For the same reason Westfield, Vicinity Centres, and other such companies do. There's a lot of money to be made from rent!

Wouldn't just be base rent either, there would be a turnover rent or profit share component too.

It's not the worst idea and i'm sure a balance of internal catering mixed with external operators would work from a profitability perspective.

The theme park operator just needs to do a gross profit per sqm forecast analysis to determine viability and which option to go with. (obviously taking into account what their customers actually want)

Adventure world has a mix of its own catering along with a small Dominos pizza outlet but i would have no idea what rental/profit/income arrangement they have with Dominos for that space.

Wet & Wild has a Dominos, as does Sea World. Movie World has a Ben & Jerrys. Dreamworld has a Boost Juice.

So it wouldn't be a new concept to Gold Coast theme parks, but I'm talking about ways to do it better by introducing higher quality food options.

They could even negotiate that the outlet in the park wouldn't be branded as the well known "high steet" brand, but would be run by the same operators using their knowledge and stock. For example, this outlet could still be called "Dirty Harrys Bar & Grill" so that it can fit in with the movie theme, but it would actually be an outlet of one of the aforementioned brands. If anything, there might be a small "By GYG" in the bottom corner of the singage.

In that way, the outlet can still fit the theme of the park, and it can still feel as if it's not the place customers see every day, yet it benefits from the operators methods and stock (and reduced costs).

58 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

So it wouldn't be a new concept to Gold Coast theme parks, but I'm talking about ways to do it better by introducing higher quality food options.

I would not class Guzman Y Gomez as a "higher quality food option". It's mediocre at best.

In all seriousness, though, there's nothing absolutely awful with our park's food and beverage options. Sure, the pricing is a little bit extravagant but it's not horrible food. The only time I've ever been disappointed with our parks in terms of food and beverage was with the Prime Burgers range, just because it's obscenely expensive for what ends up being quite little and of low quality

Edited by Zanstabar

7 hours ago, djrappa said:

What is wrong you peopl?? This is not 'just a burrito' and is certainly worth $20. 

The idea of having chain restaurants in the park is the worst thing I've ever heard. 

All everyone bitches about is wanting better food offerings. We get them and now you complain about the price being unreasonable. 

Get a grip. 

Ditto this. People wanted new mazes at Fright Nights and when the park delivered, people whinged that they should've saved the money.

I walked past it yesterday and it looks great. It has this Universal / Benihama vibe thanks to the giant glass windows that allow you to see straight into the kitchen areas. Would love to see more draught beers as they settle in the new digs. 

10 hours ago, pushbutton said:

From external fast food operators found at any decent shopping center?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSts2s4ba4

Edited by pin142