Roller Coaster Crash at Alton Towers

iwerks

If anyone wants to voluntarily boil their blood or cause a big hole to appear in the middle of their monitor, I recommend watching this interview. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kke3h2UeH3I&user=skynews

​That was actually mind blowing. She might actually be the most stupid, rude ignorant and downright unintelligent person in the news business today. 

I'm fairly sure the protocol on, say, Space Mountain is that a staff member has to walk each zone and then contact tower to report the zone clear.  It then requires the staff member to press and hold (dead-man) a block release button whilst the tower does likewise whilst also announcing over the internal public address system that the zone is being released.

What will be interesting to see is whether this was an operator oversight in erroneously releasing a car into a block that was not clear, whether the system autonomously did so, whether the ride system reported (or was capable of reporting) the block clear, or whether it was a combination of the operator making an error and the system failing to prevent the error.

Lol, I should consider myself lucky that I married a fellow theme park buff.... we regularly attend them together even whilst the kids are at school, they are our second (third, forth, fifth) home apart from work :lol: Always talking about them when we aren't. And we've had great lengthy discussions about this accident at Alton Towers recently, speculating on what could have gone wrong and what will happen with it now.

I really hope they don't pull this coaster down. I admit I hadn't heard much about it prior 'till now, but have spent recent days looking up lots of videos and info about it. Strangely enough I want to ride it now, despite it having just played host to an accident.

Am I crazy??? :blink:

They will make it safer than ever now though, right? If they do decide to keep it?? These sort of accidents are few and far between, so they never really put me off wanting to ride again lol... although I am very aware this particular coaster has been notorious for causing drama ever since it was installed a couple of years back. I just love the crazy design of it. Along with its crazy-assed theme music.

I really hope they don't pull this coaster down. I admit I hadn't heard much about it prior 'till now, but have spent recent days looking up lots of videos and info about it. Strangely enough I want to ride it now, despite it having just played host to an accident.

Am I crazy??? :blink:

​Nah, the same accident will never happen again at a Merlin park. I'd bet my life savings on that.

Don't worry - judging by the profile - there isn't much to lose...

AllegroCrab

• y cant any1 build a B&M Hyper guyz srsly?

...and before anyone gets butthurt - i'm just saying that clearly -  he's still quite young... (although these days anyone under 25 is young to me) so unlikely it'd be a big bet.

Don't worry - judging by the profile - there isn't much to lose...

...and before anyone gets butthurt - i'm just saying that clearly -  he's still quite young... (although these days anyone under 25 is young to me) so unlikely it'd be a big bet.

​Just in case pushbutton doesn't get a chance to see it,

This is the problem with this forum. There's too many people on here who would rather be rude to each other then be a nice, friendly community. Why can't everyone just get along? Let's all be adults here. Alex you're so rude and I'm surprised I'd be surprised if anyone on here felt differently. 

Neway mayb sum1 shud make a bm hypa coasta. dey'd b so poplar n make so much mony.

So this Daily Mail news article has been released in regards to the Smiler incident. One of the victims has given a detailed recollection of what happened leading up to, during, and after the crash....

EXCLUSIVE - Our agony on The Smiler: Alton Towers victim reveals the hell of waiting hours for rescue and how he comforted his girlfriend who lost a leg that 'nothing would change between them'

Very interesting (and also somewhat horrifying) read :(

Thoughts?

It's about what I expected to read when I clicked on the link. Good to hear he praises Alton for their care of him and his family... a bit crass to say 'they said i don't have to sue to get a settlement from them' though... Clearly he's not in that much pain to be making those sorts of comments (although the Media probably probed in that direction anyway)...

That said - he's obviously very angry that they 'didn't know there was a car stuck on the track'... his question ironically placed below this photo "how could they not have spotted a great big train painted yellow and black..." - yes - how could they miss a yellow and black train - amongst all that yellow and black?

smiler.thumb.png.49139a06a4dfcf7396a3e39