Are roller coasters getting more dangerous?

POP

I wouldn't think that they're getting more dangerous. Both of these accidents were pretty major but they're also very rare and they just happened to occur to two fairly high profile coasters.

It's probably sort of like how flying isn't any more dangerous, there's just been two very high profile incidents in the past 18 months. 

Edited by mba2012

I'm inclined to agree with you all, its just all so unsettling though. 

If the safety mechanism had failed on the Green Lantern, i can't even begin to imagine ...

That's the exact reason they have such safety mechanisms.  I never allow thoughts about bad things that could happen, or could have happened to upset me. Life's too short. Just enjoy it!

It seems the more the companies try to one up each other on 'thrill factor', the more accidents are occurring. 

Alton Towers 'The Smiler' is just the latest. What about 'The Green Lantern' earlier this year? 

​Not sure I really follow the logic.

The smiler is a looping coaster with two lift hills.

Looping coasters with two lift hills have existed for nearly 4 decades http://parkz.com.au//parks/US/Williamsburg/Busch_Gardens_Williamsburg/ride/2004-Loch_Ness_Monster

Wether or not it does two loops or 14 is irrelevant, because that's not the critical part of the ride system. The thing that makes a coaster dangerous/safe is things like harnesses, trains, brakes, lift hills etc. Ride accidents can happen on any sized attraction.

The Smiler incident seems like a clear case of human error to me. If it had just broken down chances are it was in maintenance mode, which lets you move/reverse trains at will, run the ride with harnesses up, override anything....And unfortunately someone has advanced the train when the track wasn't clear. 

Yeah Disney has had more complicated coasters than anyone else for decades. From a kiddy coaster to a record breaker pretty much all the systems and safety concepts on coasters are the same. 

They are kept very simple for a reason. Simple = safe. 

• 3 weeks later...