Major Rides Shut at Coast Theme Park (WBMW article)

Brad2912

In other news - things that happen every day continue to happen...

GL is a gimme - you can't really blame the park for that one at this stage - the investigation is clearly out of their hands.

Arkham is down for its annual maintenance... yeah and? It needs to be maintained at some point doesn't it? Surely this information is listed on the Park's website and at the front gate (as is the GL downtime I'm sure)

Other than that we're whinging about YOSEMITE SAM'S TRAIN???? Geeeeeeezus - they make out like the park's only running one ride! By what I can account for - Scooby, WWF, JL, BW, Roxy, HWSD and most if not all of WB Kids is open... and SE was running - only with some minor downtime.

I love how they try to show "balanced" reporting by pointing out that one ride is closed at Dreamworld (EFMadagascar) for maintenance - I notice that they failed to mention all of Wiggles World being closed - thats 3 or more attractions there - plus the vintage cars and the trains which rarely (never) run on weekdays...

Webslave - the park isn't advertising the closed attractions. They clearly and prominently display the planned closures on the website and at the gate. technical faults that occur after morning sign-off can't be helped.

As for anybody in Brisbane or the Gold Coast claiming that they spent $80 each (or hundreds for a family) for just one day at the park - I call bullshit. Nobody is that frickin stupid when VIP passes exist.

As for this 'coming at a time when they stopped the VIP Gold' passes - they were bloody free upgrades anyway!!! (Not to mention that the park has already indicated an upgrade option providing gold benefits would be released later)...

G C Bulletin has to be about on par with Sky News UK at this point.

Yeah I don't blame them either for being pissed off... have been saying and thinking for a while now that I'd hate to be a full paying visitor to MW or SW atm with so many of their attractions currently shut or demolished. Even Sea World only has 3 rides at the moment (Jet Rescue, Storm, Flume) and the latter is the only one suitable for children of a younger age. So with the Kid's area closed, there really isn't all that much for them to do, other than just play in the jungle playground in Castaway Bay. And check out the animals, of course. They really need to do something with the old Corkscrew/Pirate area of the park.

Webslave - the park isn't advertising the closed attractions. They clearly and prominently display the planned closures on the website and at the gate. technical faults that occur after morning sign-off can't be helped.

As for anybody in Brisbane or the Gold Coast claiming that they spent $80 each (or hundreds for a family) for just one day at the park - I call bullshit. Nobody is that frickin stupid when VIP passes exist.

​I knew I'd get a bite out of you.  When you arrive at a theme park you expect as a general punter that you'll get a full day out of the park, but we know MW isn't that when those attractions are all down at the same time.  When you are charging full price you should be offering the full service.  People may swallow it with an attraction or two out of action, but others won't - anything more than that and you'll increase the number of perturbed customers.  I agree - you (generally) can't help unplanned faults, but similarly you also can't justify not compensating customers for that.  If you book an international flight with a meal service and they can't serve due to a technical fault you have a reasonable expectation of being provided with a credit.  If you're in a cab and it breaks down on the way to your destination it's unlikely that you'd have to pay, let alone pay the price you'd have paid if you travelled the whole way to the destination.  Movieworld's reliability woes should not be the customer's problem.

As for nobody paying $80/ea when VIP passes exist?  I can forecast plenty do.  They wouldn't be members here, so I'd suspect you probably wouldn't come into contact with them regularly.

Webslave, if you write solely to get a rise out of someone, you need to find a new hobby.

As for your taxi example - of course you don't pay full fare - the contract is unfulfilled - the contract was to get you from point A to point B and they failed to deliver. 

As for the airline example - the citation escapes me right now but you should look into Qantas Airways vs. Commissioner of Taxation for an interesting ruling on what constituted their contract of carriage and what didn't. I think it had something to do with GST... at any rate - With QANTAS, the FLIGHT is what you contract for, and anything else included as part of that - such as food, beverages or onboard entertainment is just incidental, with no cash value, and therefore isn't compensable. If you were charged and paid separately for a meal (like say - on Jetstar) you would be entitled to a refund for the item you didn't receive - likewise if you pay QANTAS an extra fee to choose your seat, and they don't provide you with your selection without a justifiable safety reason, you would likely be entitled to get that refunded. (I have done so).

You fall down in your examples because the park HAS fulfilled their contract - they have allowed you entry into the park - that is all your ticket entitles you to:

entitles admission during normal advertised operating hours and covers all rides, shows and attractions (you must pay independently for all food, beverage and merchandise)

This is further proven by the following statement in the T&Cs - showing that the price you pay is the same regardless of what you do or do not ride:

If you do not plan on using the rides or seeing any shows or attractions but wish to enjoy the surrounds (this includes parents, pregnant women and guardians supervising or waiting for children) you must still pay full general admission entry ticket price.

And finally - just in case you think the part about admission "covers all rides" gives you an out:

We may close rides, attractions and/or whole of premises on a permanent or temporary basis due to inclement weather, safety, refurbishment, maintenance, Acts of God or other reasons. Extensions to the validity of your Admission Pass or refunds as a result of limited visitation, suspension, premises or ride closure are not granted (subject to any requirements at law to the contrary).

Source: http://themeparks.com.au/References/Info pages/terms-and-conditions.aspx

THIS is the contract you enter into when you purchase and use a ticket, annual pass or other form of admission into these parks. It's like selling your house at auction unreserved, and then crying foul to the media when it sells for a buck.

Back to the single day passes... if people (locals) are paying full single day ticket price when the VIP option is presented to them at every ticket window, online, print media and on TV - then more the fool them... I have no sympathy for them whatsoever if they should visit a park and find rides are closed for maintenance or otherwise affected by bad weather, or unforeseen breakdowns. these things happen.

Yeah, I know some people who only pay at the gate because they don't care to buy tickets online and money doesn't matter to them. They don't do their research and act surprised when they end up paying more.

I think MW should put on a permanent show in the old Maverick stage show area as this would make up for the lack of rides.

That article is pretty stupid.  Park experiences busy day, two rides closed.  There were signs out the front, and what, are they supposed to make Scooby Doo go faster?  What the hell are you talking about with that Bulletin?

Having said that, why wasn't Wild West open if Rick's is shut?  Why are Taz cars closed?  Why do you have a policy which forbids outside food and not have the means to feed all the guests in the park?  Why are Lockers for a ride $2?  Why not quietly reduce the day ticket by $20 while all that stuff is closed?  

The general vibe Movie World's policies give out is 'We hate you, and we won't spend a cent on making your day better than the bare minimum'.  Management is good at passing that sentiment on to the staff too, and people notice.  That contempt for guests is why WnW Sydney has been such a failure, and that's why people are queuing up to hang shit on Movie World now.  If they were just so nice and awesome or the atmosphere in the park so amazing people might forgive them, but considering most things Movie World (and the Village theme parks at large) do comes across as a middle finger to guests then people will complain and loudly.  And they wonder why VIP pass sales are down.

If anyone from Village is reading, you can make money without ripping people off.  Price things in the park reasonably, drop guest unfriendly polices, and treat the staff better so they aren't so uninvested with their jobs.

Webslave, if you write solely to get a rise out of someone, you need to find a new hobby.

As for your taxi example - of course you don't pay full fare - the contract is unfulfilled - the contract was to get you from point A to point B and they failed to deliver. 

As for the airline example - the citation escapes me right now but you should look into Qantas Airways vs. Commissioner of Taxation for an interesting ruling on what constituted their contract of carriage and what didn't. I think it had something to do with GST... at any rate - With QANTAS, the FLIGHT is what you contract for, and anything else included as part of that - such as food, beverages or onboard entertainment is just incidental, with no cash value, and therefore isn't compensable. If you were charged and paid separately for a meal (like say - on Jetstar) you would be entitled to a refund for the item you didn't receive - likewise if you pay QANTAS an extra fee to choose your seat, and they don't provide you with your selection without a justifiable safety reason, you would likely be entitled to get that refunded. (I have done so).

You fall down in your examples because the park HAS fulfilled their contract - they have allowed you entry into the park - that is all your ticket entitles you to:

This is further proven by the following statement in the T&Cs - showing that the price you pay is the same regardless of what you do or do not ride:

And finally - just in case you think the part about admission "covers all rides" gives you an out:

Source: http://themeparks.com.au/References/Info pages/terms-and-conditions.aspx

THIS is the contract you enter into when you purchase and use a ticket, annual pass or other form of admission into these parks. It's like selling your house at auction unreserved, and then crying foul to the media when it sells for a buck.

Actually, it's more akin to selling your house at auction and taking the appliances with you when you move out.  What's important here is what a reasonable guest believes they will get from a visit to the park versus what they actually get.  Terms and Conditions are lovely, but they are not law, and don't even have to pass an enforceable test to exist - there's little point citing them.

Next time your Qantas flight doesn't have IFE or Meals when they have advertised otherwise ask for compensation - I've done it before and you get it every single time.  That's at the very least good corporate citizenship.  That's why when you go to the movies and the power fails you will be given an opportunity to revisit at no extra charge.

You're painting a pretty good picture here of a guy who seems to believe terms and conditions are immutable and theme parks can do no wrong, and has a fixation on the same.  I'm sure there's a condition that covers that... 

The terms and conditions form part of the contract between the guest and the park, and they are enforceable as far as the law permits.

I'd like to see you throw your money away trying to litigate just because a couple of rides were closed \ broke down. I'd sit in the gallery and laugh my head off.

As for the auction - things like fixtures and appliances are usually stipulated within the contract - so if you took the appliances after it was written in to the contract as an inclusion - then you've breached contract... so it's nothing like this situation. VRTP haven't breached their contract.

...and good corporate citizenship it may be - but the point is they aren't required to do so - nor is the park required to discount or refund admission because you're unhappy that two rides are closed... they could, if they chose to do so, but there is no obligation to do so. They could choose the path of good corporate citizenship, going the extra mile to ensure every guest enjoyed their day as best as they were able (Disney is a prime example for obvious reasons - see below)... but they don't have to... nothing requires it - otherwise all these whingers on the gold coast bulletin would be suing, wouldn't they?

no_strings.thumb.jpg.7c637a126d9db315e2c

If you go to the movies and the power fails, the cinema is likely to offer you another session - as your contract with them was to see an entire movie. Sure - the power failure is outside of their control, but this example doesn't compare to the parks again because the contract you have with the park doesn't say you get to ride everything in the entire park. It gives you admission to the park. that is all.

They could choose the path of good corporate citizenship, going the extra mile to ensure every guest enjoyed their day as best as they were able

​See, this is what the discussion should be. Not the nuances of contract law.

The park got negative media coverage for the way it's run. Despite some of the over the top points like Scooby-Doo not being fast enough, the article is pretty much on the money. The park has a total of six rides adults can go on and two of these are closed. The park has two main outlets for food and one of these is closed.

Signage out the front is one thing, but do you really think the park did everything they could for people forking out $80 for a single day ticket? Evidently not, because they are speaking to reporters and ranting on social media. A "free" VIP upgrade or a food discount voucher which cost nothing compared to the damage a disappointed customer causes.

Unfortunately we have a number of attractions closed today, but we can upgrade you to a VIP pass for no cost and you can come back anytime you want for the next year. Having staff say that at the ticket booths isn't just effortless customer service, it's also selling the VIP passes at a higher price than the current 4-for-3 offer.

If a media outlet devotes column space to how badly you're running your business, you're probably doing it wrong.

Edited by Richard

Exactly.

There is a difference between someone paying full price with the intention of going on as many rides as possible, and someone paying full price to enter the park all day without the intention of going on any rides (ie. a pregnant lady) which they knowingly do so at their own financial loss. Those who attend to ride rides expect the park to at least provide such options in the first place, they aren't exactly an added bonus. Let's face it, would people still be willing to pay around $100 a ticket to enter a theme park with minimal or no rides? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't <_<

T&C can state whatever they like to cover their park's butt, but at the end of the day its all about providing a decent level of customer service and demonstrating goodwill toward those who are essentially keeping them in business. And that's what matters at the end of the day. VRTP should at the very least be trying to compensate their visitors for not being able to meet their minimal expectations, even if its out of their control. Not just continuing to charge them full price and by doing so, essentially saying to them "tough luck, it's not our fault that our rides are closed."

That's not a good way to operate a business.

I suppose a good test is; "If you knew how the day would go (with rides going down) before you went in, would you have still paid to do so?".  I'd hazard a guess that the answer of many people is 'no', and that's likely the issue.  Others may have, and those are the ones that you won't see written up in the paper.

Wasn't a quote in the article - just a reader's comment - but still:

I think the other issue Movie World has is that they charge those people that have a disability the full entrance fee only to be told they have to go to the theme park office only to be given a wrist band which is marked with rides they can go on. Of the 14 rides (from memory) as a paraplegic I was only allowed to go on 4. Surely the staff that took my money at the front gate could advise me of this prior to taking my money so I could make a decision on whether to pay and enter or not!! After writing a letter to the Warner Bros. I am yet to receive a response let alone a refund.

In reading comments, these are also of note:

I don't understand how this is even news. So a few rides are shut down during the quiet periods, I hardly think that merits a price cut. The VIP and World Passes that the parks offer are so cheap for a year's admission that even if you only use it twice you've already saved money so food and drink are slightly inflated to compensate. So what? Been to the movies lately? I can't believe someone complained about queueing up.. what did they think everyone else was there for? The VIP passes end at the end of this month so of course the weekends are going to be busier with people wanting to squeeze in a couple more visits. People don't realise that most theme parks in the U.S and UK operate on a seasonal basis so there is plenty of time for maintenance that doesn't affect anybody and for the parks that don't their maintenance schedules are exactly the same. So if everyone would prefer maybe our parks should operate on a seasonal basis, too. But then I'm sure there'll be an article written about all the people complaining about how the parks should be operating all year round because it should cater to the locals, too. Check out the parks' websites. It outlnes what rides are shut down months ahead of time. There is also signage at the front of the parks that advises people of what rides are shut. People shouldn't blame their laziness to research or read signage on the parks. This article even mentions rides that will soon be closing... I wonder where they got that information? It will never be possible for the parks to please everyone. I think what people need to remember is that just because the parks are in such close proximity to us doesn't mean that we are entitled to them. I think we're lucky that we have so many great options available to us.

And this...

Its winter and the off season. Rides need to be shut down for maintenance. You would all be complaining if a ride broke down and killed someone because it wasn't maintained. All parks around the world do this and always have. Its not a new thing. The parks always let people know what is down at the gates and on their websites. As for movie world having a few coasters down. Obviously we know green lantern is down because of a major fault. Another being down to to maintenance is part of a schedule and cant be helped. Does it suck? Yeah but life does sometimes. Its all in the interest of safety people. These are complex machines with complex ride systems and take alot of punishment being used nonstop each day everyday. If you missed the signs at the entrance then its your own fault. If your not happy, dont go there.

​See, this is what the discussion should be. Not the nuances of contract law.

The park got negative media coverage for the way it's run. Despite some of the over the top points like Scooby-Doo not being fast enough, the article is pretty much on the moneyarrow-10x10.png. The park has a total of six rides adults can go on and two of these are closed. The park has two main outlets for food and one of these is closed.

Signage out the front is one thing, but do you really think the park did everything they could for people forking out $80 for a single day ticket? Evidently not, because they are speaking to reporters and ranting on social media. A "free" VIP upgradearrow-10x10.png or a food discount voucherarrow-10x10.png which cost nothing compared to the damage a disappointed customer causes.

Unfortunately we have a number of attractions closed today, but we can upgrade you to a VIP pass for no cost and you can come back anytime you want for the next year. Having staff say that at the ticket booths isn't just effortless customer service, it's also selling the VIP passes at a higher price than the current 4-for-3 offerarrow-10x10.png.

If a media outlet devotes column space to how badly you're running your businessarrow-10x10.png, you're probably doing it wrong.

​Boom!

Eloquently said Richard.

The long and the short of it is... they DON'T CARE. Which is surprising.

You go to any other non-Village, non Ardent park in Australia... Aussie World, AW, LPS for example, all of which may not have the equipment to match the Gold Coast parks, but what you will find in these parks is a great level of care from the staff and management about the experience and service their customers are receiving in the park.

Living in Sydney, I frequently visit LPS as my nieces and I have annual passes. Even when the park is quiet during the week... there are no ride rotations, no roller shutters down, the park is immaculately clean ALWAYS, and the staff actually WANT to be there and actually seem to ENJOY their jobs. Although I have only visited AW and Aussie World a couple of times, I noticed similar there.

The big guys need to take a leaf out of the other park's books...........

I don't think the issue at hand is the routine ride maintenance. Most parks can handle downtime of their attractions through both peak and off-peak seasons without causing any dramas. You certainly don't hear anybody complaining about Dreamworld atm, despite the fact they have recently been rotating through certain attractions for annual maintenance. 

It's the unexpected breakdowns coupled with the routine maintenance that people are pissed about, especially when the park hasn't a huge amount of rides on offer to begin with. 

I can understand it would be great and all to get a discount or something when a few attractions aren't running, but I really don't expect this of any park anywhere. You pay so much more money relative to the product for everything these days, theme parks are cheap in comparison.

tbh, I'd pay the full entry fee just to ride Superman Escape considering my trips up are few and far between, but that's just me.