Jamberoo Action Park Expansion

zacsta_1997

To date, Jamberoo have not started construction of the second stage of their expansion plans. To my knowledge, there are no sections of new slides at the park. I think what you may have seen Zacsta is the theming for the Funnel Web- at the start of the year they finished putting a huge spider construct on the side of the bowl- it really is an awesome facade and is the best themed bowl slide in Australia.

Hopefully the second stage commences later this year- the original plans call for the construction of a new  adventure rapid river, toilet bowl slide and rocket slide. 

Once these are finally added to the park, IMHO, Jamberoo will be more than a match for Wet and Wild Sydney as a water park destination.

Hi, my humble opinion, for what it is worth, is that Jamberoo would easily be my preferred destination for a fun day with my kids than Wet n Wild Sydney. For their operational excellence, theming, landscaping and the way all of that hinges together in a journey of discovery.

Mark

Hi, my humble opinion, for what it is worth, is that Jamberoo would easily be my preferred destination for a fun day with my kids than Wet n Wild Sydney. For their operational excellence, theming, landscaping and the way all of that hinges together in a journey of discovery.

Mark

So here's a question, have you been to Wet 'n' Wild Sydney?  And if so, did you see anything think 'that's a good idea' and did you see anything not so good and think 'that's a great lesson of what we don't want to do'

I understand it's a small industry, and it can be seen as poor form bad mouthing the competition (even competition as indirect as WnWS) so I understand if you don't want to answer, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing what someone in your position would take out of a visit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

As Jamberoo Action Park's 2015/2016 season finishes on 25th April 2016, here is an update:

• In my post from 18th September 2015, I forgot to mention in the 'Other News' section that 'The Rock' themed area's major refurbishment included 'hundreds of metres' of new waterfalls around the mushroom pools.
  • 'Dive-In Movies @ Jamberoo' returned last January. The 2016 season included 4 new movies:
    o    2nd January 2016 – ‘Penguins Of Madagascar’
    o
        9th January 2016 – ‘Despicable Me 2’
    o
        16th January 2016 – ‘Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted’
    o
        23rd January 2016 – ‘Big Hero 6’
  • A new 'Summer Fun Pass' was introduced on the 28th December 2015 which, for $89.99*, allowed unlimited entry until 28th February 2016.
  • Lastly, on 9th April 2016, Jamberoo Action Park confirmed in a comment on a post on their Facebook page that ‘works already commenced’ on Stage 2 of the 'Kangaroo Island' expansion.

So let the guessing begin! Some points to remember based on prior information:

• It will include 2 new world-class rides and attractions.
  • Originally, the next 2 rides to be built as part of Stage 2 of the 'Kangaroo Island' master plan were the 'Koala Creek' interactive water play area and the 'Platypus River' lazy river.
  • On 17th June 2015, Jamberoo Action Park exclusively revealed on Parkz that the 'Cockatoo Gorge' Behemoth Bowl is no longer part of the 'Kangaroo Island' expansions but instead they will be building a whole new 'top secret' ride to rival their record-breaking 'Funnel Web' Tornado water ride, that will be more exhilarating in ride experience as well as slightly longer in ride time.
  • The 'Funnel Web' ride time is 40 seconds (based on information in the Parkz ride database) while a Behemoth Bowl's ride time is 26 seconds (based on information on Whitewater World's 'The Rip' in the Parkz ride database).
  • In the most recently seen ride artist impression, 'Cockatoo Gorge' was to be a combined enclosed Tantrum Alley/ Behemoth Bowl water ride. As far as we know, the enclosed Tantrum Alley elements have not been excluded.
  • Kiama Municipal Council approved the new 'top secret' ride development on 12th March 2015. 

So the 4 main questions for now are:

• Is 'Koala Creek' and 'Platypus River' still Stage 2?
  • Is the 'top secret' ride now a part of Stage 2?
  • If it is, which one has been delayed - 'Koala Creek' or 'Platypus River'?
  • What is the 'top secret' ride?
Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Just re-arranged a sentence, added more hyperlinks, added some more hyperlinked words and closed a gap between a paragraph and a series of dot points.

I'd like to see the Hydrocoaster that was originally part of the plan go in last, that way we can get it nicely wrapping around rides and hugging the ground in a Toboggan esque manner. Otherwise I'd like to see the 2 additions (KC, PR) implemented in an above and beyond manner than the 2 already existing versions in the park (Billabong Beach and Rapid River respectively). 

BB when i first visited Jamberoo back in 2006, while probably wouldn't have the same effect now; was something that really captured me. The fact they got a slanted structure of the same likeness of one of Australia's most well known pubs, the Ettamogah. Not to mention the tipping bucket, as basic as it is, is the best theming i've seen on any of them that ive seen. To 1-up that, they need not only a different layout, but something bigger, and more dense, as well as something just as iconic. 

My thoughts here are with a giant Gum Tree as the centerpiece, and a WWW Splashquest installed along side. Using the tree to lead into the setting, and keeping BB as is, means the only other available theme being the Bush/Rainforest. Seeing as water and Whoop Whoop are taken in both name and theming. An Aquacourse and/or Rain Fortress would fit in well here.

PR would follow the same vein. If a Splashquest was used, this would open up a world of opportunity for not only the park, but also the upcoming Lazy River. Hit a button, get a dunk of water, hit another one, get a nice big wave surge, and another opens up a secret passage. RR as is (or as i remember with last visit 2010), is nothing compared to Calypso Beach (last visit 2006) although being almost 2 different levels in theming and execution.

As for the Top Secret part, I feel Slideboarding would be a fantastic way to go. And as such, give it the same interactivity that would be found in the Splashquest. Also while keeping with the Australian theme and the Ettamogah Groups venture into an Albury Waterpark, an Ettamogah Family Restaurant would be a fantastic idea as it adds another food option to the park and spreads out the crowds that would normally "attack" the current stands, it fits the theme and can help throw money at the company to get their shit together (I wont elaborate on that one. PM me if interested.).

On 4/23/2016 at 9:00 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

As Jamberoo Action Park's 2015/2016 season finishes on 25th April 2016, here is an update:

• In my post from 18th September 2015, I forgot to mention in the 'Other News' section that 'The Rock' themed area's major refurbishment included 'hundreds of metres' of new waterfalls around the mushroom pools.
  • 'Dive-In Movies @ Jamberoo' returned last January. The 2016 season included 4 new movies:
    o    2nd January 2016 – ‘Penguins Of Madagascar’
    o
        9th January 2016 – ‘Despicable Me 2’
    o
        16th January 2016 – ‘Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted’
    o
        23rd January 2016 – ‘Big Hero 6’
  • A new 'Summer Fun Pass' was introduced on the 28th December 2015 which, for $89.99*, allowed unlimited entry until 28th February 2016.
  • Lastly, on 9th April 2016, Jamberoo Action Park confirmed in a comment on a post on their Facebook page that ‘works already commenced’ on Stage 2 of the 'Kangaroo Island' expansion.

So let the guessing begin! Some points to remember based on prior information:

• It will include 2 new world-class rides and attractions.
  • Originally, the next 2 rides to be built as part of Stage 2 of the 'Kangaroo Island' master plan were the 'Koala Creek' interactive water play area and the 'Platypus River' lazy river.
  • On 17th June 2015, Jamberoo Action Park exclusively revealed on Parkz that the 'Cockatoo Gorge' Behemoth Bowl is no longer part of the 'Kangaroo Island' expansions but instead they will be building a whole new 'top secret' ride to rival their record-breaking 'Funnel Web' Tornado water ride, that will be more exhilarating in ride experience as well as slightly longer in ride time.
  • The 'Funnel Web' ride time is 40 seconds (based on information in the Parkz ride database) while a Behemoth Bowl's ride time is 26 seconds (based on information on Whitewater World's 'The Rip' in the Parkz ride database).
  • In the most recently seen ride artist impression, 'Cockatoo Gorge' was to be a combined enclosed Tantrum Alley/ Behemoth Bowl water ride. As far as we know, the enclosed Tantrum Alley elements have not been excluded.
  • Kiama Municipal Council approved the new 'top secret' ride development on 12th March 2015. 

Excellent news- we visited the park with a group of 20 people- some who had not visited before- and they were duly impressed with this park which shits all over Wet and Wild Sydney from a great height in almost every department.

Hopefully Stage 2 will be open in time for our annual trip of February next year- will be watching the progress closely on this one!!!

To add further to Jamberoo Fan's post , the park itself have sent me the following snippet of info.

Hey Jobe,, I can tell only you smile emoticon that we've commenced the next stage of Kangaroo Island masterplan with the construction of a new high thrill water ride, that will rival Funnel Web in speed, length and overall rider exhilaration. Ground works, footings and splash pool are all being formed as we speak. The actual ride arrived recently in 42 shipping containers! and is being stored within the main car park, awaiting installation (scheduled for June). Full details of the new ride will be advised via our social media channels in the coming periods so keep an eye out for this... the ride will be ready for the start of season 2016|17 (24/9/16) so its going to be a great time to visit NSW's favourite water theme park this season ... till then ... Sammy wink emoticon

So it appears that the next stage is going to be one slide only;the aforementioned high thrill water ride and that it will be installed in June and will be open in time for the start of the next season (24/09/16). This is great news and i hope that this attraction is as much as big a success as Funnel Web is!

Can't wait to see the ongoing developments with this one!

• 1 month later...

I can tell only you :)...

Even though it makes no difference as Jamberoo's message is now public information, does that passage above mean it was meant to be confidential, @Jobe?

... that we've commenced the next stage of Kangaroo Island masterplan with the construction of a new high thrill water ride, that will rival Funnel Web in speed, length and overall rider exhilaration. Ground works, footings and splash pool are all being formed as we speak. The actual ride arrived recently in 42 shipping containers!

Well at least that confirms that the 'top secret' ride is a high thrill water ride. Since a splash pool is being built so soon after the season ended & that a raft return channel branch already exists, this probably means that the new high thrill water ride is being built next to Funnel Web & uses rafts.

Shipping containers can range from 6 to 14 metres in length so given there are 42 in the car park, we are looking at a ride approximately 246 metres in minimum length & approximately 569 metres in maximum length. Funnel Web is 270 metres long & given the length of the new high thrill water raft ride is suppose to 'rival' Funnel Web, it is most likely the new high thrill water raft ride is approximately 246 metres long.

As we know that compared to Funnel Web the new high thrill water raft ride is slightly longer in ride time but will 'rival' in speed & length, the ride will probably be slower in speed if it is 24 metres shorter than Funnel Web like I guessed in the above paragraph. 24 metres difference in ride length & a very small difference in speed is enough to be defined as 'rivalling'.

On 23/04/2016 at 9:00 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Out of the 4 questions above, the new information answers 1 - the 'top secret' ride is now a part of Stage 2. It confirms that Stage 2 consists of at least the new high thrill water raft ride & maybe either Koala Creek or Platypus River as it only confirms that Stage 2 is commencing with rather than being just a high thrill water raft ride. So this leaves open the other 3 questions though with minor adjustments...

So the 3 main questions for now are:

• Is either Koala Creek or Platypus River still part of Stage 2?
  • If one of the above is still part of Stage 2, which one has been delayed - Koala Creek or Platypus River?
  • What is the top secret high thrill water raft ride?

You are possibly half correct. As pointed out in my previous posts, @Jamberoo Action Park exclusively revealed on Parkz last year that the 'Cockatoo Gorge' Behemoth Bowl is no longer part of the 'Kangaroo Island' expansions in order to make way for the new high thrill water raft ride. However, in their post, they did not confirm whether the Tantrum Alley portions of 'Cockatoo Gorge' are still part of the 'Kangaroo Island' expansions. They did note that they removed the Behemoth Bowl "because new ride technologies are available". So it currently is either a Tantrum Alley or something completely new/different or a mix of both but in the end right now, it is anyone's guess.

In terms of the ride's length, Jamberoo did say the new high thrill water raft ride will 'rival' the length of 'Funnel Web' so it might not be heaps longer than 'Funnel Web' but will probably be the same length approximately.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Extended 2 sentences and added a paragraph.

19 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Even though it makes no difference as Jamberoo's message is now public information, does that passage above mean it was meant to be confidential, @Jobe?

Its all good Jamberoo Fan. There was no caveat against me sharing that info with anyone- and really what they told me did not amount to all that much anyway!! Still, I would not have posted it if it was explicitly stated that I could not.

Must say that I am really energised for this new slide. Its great to see that their plans for the future are getting back on track,

Its exciting times for all the small parks at the moment! New ride for LPS, new slide for Jamberoo, new ride for Aussie World! Only need LPM to announce a great new attraction as well!!

Bring it on!! :D

22 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Since a splash pool is being built so soon after the season ended & that a raft return channel branch already exists, this probably means that the new high thrill water ride is being built next to Funnel Web & uses rafts.

I forgot to mention that an additional reason why the new high thrill water raft ride could be built next to Funnel Web is because the formerly planned Behemoth Bowl, which is being replaced by the new high thrill water raft ride, was to be located next to Funnel Web. @Tim Dasco pointed this out later on though.

20 hours ago, jjuttp said:

Well according to the laws of motion and general physics, a Tantrum alley would eaisly be atleast 3 times longer than the Funnel Web. So it's very possible.

When I was talking about the length of the new high thrill water raft ride, I was referring to any type of high thrill water raft ride but like I posted earlier, I guessed that the new high thrill water raft ride would be approximately 569 metres in maximum length which is roughly 2 times as long as Funnel Web. But in my opinion, the new high thrill water raft ride would most likely be towards it's minimum length of approximately 246 metres as it is closer to 'rivalling' Funnel Web's length of 270 metres. Also, in my opinion, I can't see why a Tantrum Alley can't be approximately the same length as Funnel Web.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

I say 3 times because FW is just a short tube section that garners speed relatively quickly. While comparing to an alley (using WNWS for reference) You leave the tower almost straight into a funnel, leave the funnel, small funnel again and repeat as necessary. In doing this the ride is extremely show and thus can be alot longer even if its half the length of FW.

Funnel Web does have a rather long tube section for a Tornado. Kraken at Perth's Adventure World is probably the only Tornado in Australia that I know of that has a tube section of approximately the same length.

I'm unsure but are you saying a Tantrum Alley is longer in length or duration? As I would agree that it would be comparatively longer in duration than a Tornado. Like I said above, Funnel Web has a rather long tube section compared to most of Australia's Tornadoes so if you are comparing a Tantrum Alley to Wet 'N' Wild Gold Coast's Tornado, then yes I would say a Tantrum Alley could be up to 2 or 3 times as long in length but Funnel Web has a long pre-funnel tube section (around 150 metres long) and a slightly longer than usual post-funnel tube section (1 360 degree downward helix) making the ride length fit the length of a Tantrum Alley consisting of maximum 3 smaller Tornadoes.

I'm talking duration. So a 300m Tornado and a 100m Alley could leave at the exact time yet arrive in the pool, also at the same time. That's why i used WNW Sydney as an example, seeing as they have a variation of an Alley. Having ridden that, it is very slow. And seeing as they haven't stated how it would rival FW, it could be in both duration OR length.

Ok. Well then, yes, I agree with you regarding duration.

@Jamberoo Action Park has, in fact, stated how the new high thrill water raft ride would 'rival' Funnel Web as you can see in the quote below:

I can tell only you :) that we've commenced the next stage of Kangaroo Island masterplan with the construction of a new high thrill water ride, that will rival Funnel Web in speed, length and overall rider exhilaration.

So that confirmed it will "rival" in speed & length while this earlier statement confirmed a "more" overall rider exhilaration experience & a "slighter longer" ride duration:

On 17/06/2015 at 11:24 AM, Jamberoo Action Park said:

Stage 2 of the Master-plan, incorporating 2 new world class rides and attractions, is well progressed in both design and development AND because new ride technologies available we will be NOT be incorporating a Behemoth Bowl BUT will be building a whole new ride to rival FUNNEL WEB, that will be more exhilarating ride experience, as well slightly longer in ride time...

• 1 month later...

@Jamberoo Action Park has revealed it's 1st teaser of the new high thrill water raft ride which mainly gives clues to the theming:

comingsoon.gif

If the gif is not visible, it says 'COMING SOON...THE PERFECT STORM...JAMBEROO...where you control the action!' - the latter 2 phases being the Jamberoo Action Park logo, which is permanently located at the centre of the bottom of the image. The first 2 phases alternate in appearance in large bolded font (with some letters featuring clawed edges) in the upper 75% of the image. Inside the first 2 phases is a cartoon image of a black/grey tornado hitting one of the back corners of a rusted corrugated galvanised iron-roofed wooden building (with a concrete chimney) while picking up parts of the building's roof, a bus, farm animals including a sheep, a cow, a cattle dog and a horse, a Model T Ford ute, a tractor, an utility pole, an outhouse, other debris & a cyclist (with bicycle).

So it looks like a 'tornado hitting a farm/country town' theme.

Whilst a Tornado ride already exists at Jamberoo, it indicates that the Tantrum Alley portions of 'Cockatoo Gorge' are still and now the most likely high thrill water raft ride to be Jamberoo's new ride as a Tantrum Alley is a series of miniature Tornadoes so a 'tornado alley' theme could apply.

On 05/06/2016 at 9:59 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

So the 3 main questions for now are:

• Is either Koala Creek or Platypus River still part of Stage 2?
  • If one of the above is still part of Stage 2, which one has been delayed - Koala Creek or Platypus River?
  • What is the top secret high thrill water raft ride?

In my opinion, I feel confident that this teaser answers the 3rd question but I would add another question in it's place: 'Is a Tantrum Alley the only feature of this top secret new high thrill water raft ride?'. Remember, a Behemoth Bowl was originally planned as the 'finale' to 'Cockatoo Gorge' (which originally was a Tantrum Alley/Behemoth Bowl hybrid) until Jamberoo Action Park confirmed exclusively on Parkz that they are no longer incorporating the Behemoth Bowl so is there a new type of 'finale'?

It also makes it highly unlikely that 'Cockatoo Gorge' will still be the name of the Tantrum Alley. So far, 'The Perfect Storm' is the closest thing to a ride name but currently it is most likely just a marketing slogan. More confirmation would be required to determine if it is the ride name so that adds a new question: 'Is 'The Perfect Storm' the name of the Tantrum Alley?'. 

• Is either 'Koala Creek' or 'Platypus River' still part of Stage 2?
  • If one of the above is still part of Stage 2, which one has been delayed - 'Koala Creek' or 'Platypus River'?
  • Is a Tantrum Alley the only feature of this top secret new high thrill water raft ride?
  • Is 'The Perfect Storm' the name of the Tantrum Alley?
Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Better description of the gif's first 2 phases' font.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexB said:

Wow. A picture really does tell 1000 words... or in this case 148!

Good description for the giffickly challenged Jamberoo Fan. Great to see this little park continues to build on its success.

The GIF did work for me @AlexB but as it was the 1st time I've embedded a GIF on Parkz, I wasn't sure if other forum members could see it so I wrote a full description particularly if @Jamberoo Action Park removes the GIF from their website one day.

With the 2016/17 season starting on the 24th of September, Jamberoo Action Park has started selling 2016/17 season passes today. Prices are below - quoted from Jamberoo's website. The 2016/17 season finishes on ANZAC Day 2017.

Season Pass Prices for the 2016/17 season:

Season Pass Online (Prior to 01/09/2016): $104.99

Season Pass Online/At The Park: $124.99

From the 2015/16 Jamberoo Action Park season, season passes purchased online prior to 01/09/2015 have increased by $10 while the other general season pass options have increased by $10 except purchasing the season pass at the park (There is a chance Jamberoo just has not updated their website fully yet so maybe except a $10 increase in that price too). A $4.95 transaction fee applies online too.

Season pass holders also get a chance to win a $200 Kodak Moments voucher on Australia Day next year. If you buy a season pass prior to 1st September 2016, you also get the chance to win a double zipline pass at The Illawarra Fly.

There are no changes to opening hours.  There are changes to season dates from last season: Open all weekends, the whole month of February, Fridays during November, Monday the 13th of March 2017 & the Primary School-Only Day this season is Tuesday the 13th of December 2016. The Park is also closed on Monday the 5th of December 2016.

Other tickets go on sale in September.

Here is Jamberoo's new television commercial and this confirms the ride name without a doubt...

Note that the television commercial refers to "the tallest, longest high thrill water ride ever built". It would have to rival Funnel Web to have that claim as Funnel Web had a similar claim when that opened in 2012. So The Perfect Storm is the name of Jamberoo's new ride as you can see on Jamberoo's new Facebook page cover photo:

13669654_10154446200221907_6783099765216816959_n.jpg

To ride The Perfect Storm, each participant has to be over 120 centimetres in height & all participants must have a combined weight of between 70 and 320 kilograms.

But here comes what we all waited for...from Jamberoo's official website:

Can you survive The Perfect Storm? The Tallest, Longest, most exciting water ride, built of its kind, in the world…

As dark thunderclouds form and swirl, wind speeds increase re-lentlessly whirling about ugly columns of dust and debris… there’s an urgent sense that something disastrous is about to happen … The Perfect Storm is approaching Jamberoo Action Park!

NOT 1 … NOT 2 … BUT 3 columns of violently twisting air rotating around each other will combine to create The Perfect Storm, each one more lethal than the last, building to an extreme monster of a tornado, your annihilation is looming large…

Nothing that stands before it will live to tell the tale. You and 3 friends will be unable to escape as you are sucked into the dark-ness hurtling at speed towards the first mini vortex before break-ing out into the light to be thrown and tossed about before re-entering the darkness, maybe you’ll be lost forever within the perfect storm.

The second vortex looms large … the darkness will terrify! You won’t know what way is up losing all sense of direction … but the panic only builds as you are ‘pulled’' towards the gigantic Twister, picking up sheds, trackers, trucks and everything caught up in its path, smashing and tossing them around like they were toys.

Hold on and prepare for the ride of your life! Reaching heart-stopping speeds as you experience moments of Zero-Gravity, in complete darkness, twisting up and down, back and forth inside the vortex of The Perfect Storm. Will you survive?

As the ferocious storm passes, calm returns as you pick yourself up and emerge into the splash out pool, safe at last.

rides-perfect-storm-lrg.gif

As you can see in the GIF above, it does feature a Tantrum Alley at the start as speculated and it is also a hybrid ride as speculated. The 'finale' to this new high thrill water raft ride is a Tornado.

23 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

• Is either 'Koala Creek' or 'Platypus River' still part of Stage 2?
  • If one of the above is still part of Stage 2, which one has been delayed - 'Koala Creek' or 'Platypus River'?
  • Is a Tantrum Alley the only feature of this top secret new high thrill water raft ride?
  • Is 'The Perfect Storm' the name of the Tantrum Alley?

So the last 2 questions have definitely been answered and I'm now confident the first 2 questions are answered too. I believe Koala Creek & Platypus River are not part of Stage 2 as they were not added to Jamberoo's list of rides on their website today so both of those rides have been delayed.

Opinion

In my opinion, I am really surprised Jamberoo chose to add another Tornado to the park particularly right next to another Tornado with a different theme but with a near-identical colour scheme. I would've preferred the Behemoth Bowl hybrid (they could've themed it as a 'dust bowl'). The Tantrum Alley is a nice new feature though (and I don't mind it as it is different) but after 3 years of waiting for a new ride, the main feature being a Tornado has been an anti-climax. The general public will not notice the similarities between Funnel Web & The Perfect Storm unless they see images of the ride or until they see the rides in the park side by side and then they may be disappointed. This is because the promotions of The Perfect Storm are mainly of the theme so far, which give little indication of what the new ride is (unless you are theme park enthusiasts like us of course, then you can figure out the clues easily) so if Jamberoo promotes the theme rather than the ride type until February next year, people will come in large numbers like they want but only to possibly have disappointed visitors once they are inside the Park. I haven't been to Jamberoo since before Funnel Web opened so I'm going to Jamberoo eventually to ride new rides regardless but had I been already, The Perfect Storm wouldn't have made me extra eager to visit Jamberoo again. This is going to make the future stand-alone Tantrum Alley (part of Emu Mountain Rapids) really odd. I would be really interested to hear what other forum members think about this choice of hybrid.

So to conclude, from the theme park with Billabong Beach & Banjo's Billabong, we now give you 2 Tornadoes side by side with nearly the same colour scheme.

• Like 1