Jamberoo Action Park Expansion

zacsta_1997

Whilst it is similar, the Cedar Point example is different. Nearly all new rollercoasters have a different track layout and colour scheme which make them worth trying out regardless and also make them stand out to the other coasters. The main difference between giga and hyper coasters is the drop height. A giga coaster's drop height is about 30 metres higher than a hyper coaster. Who wouldn't find a rollercoaster that has a drop 30 metres higher to an existing rollercoaster worthy of another trip to a theme park?

In The Perfect Storm's case, we have nearly the same colour scheme and nearly the same flume layout and drop heights as Funnel Web. Only 1 540 degree helix and 1 180 degree corner is replaced with a smaller Tornado each. The Tantrum Alley is the only difference so far which to theme park enthusiasts is great (as we know it is a different type of ride) but to the average visitor, they may not care/notice - they would already know what riding a Tornado is like so riding a Tantrum Alley is easy to imagine - slower, less steep, less G-forces/weightlessness - and hence, in total, not worthy of the travel & costs to go to Jamberoo again especially if you only visit when new rides/attractions appear.  A Behemoth Bowl (or any other form of hybrid) would have made The Perfect Storm very distinctive to Funnel Web (particularly with a different colour scheme that still follows the theme) and definitely interesting to the average visitor even if it included 2 small Tornadoes.

Regarding the final Tornado, there is no sign yet at all that is enclosed. No sign of lighting effects in any of the Tornadoes yet but small holes in the flume for light to seem in are possible (like on Funnel Web). The smaller two Tornadoes are possibly enclosed based on the ride description but the wording makes it difficult to confirm.

To answer your last question:

On 17/06/2015 at 11:24 AM, Jamberoo Action Park said:

...because new ride technologies available...

I hardly call a Tornado 'new' though particularly since they already have one.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Extended/adjusted 3 sentences.

Everyone will probably gravitate towards the Perfect Storm rather than Funnel Web, because  it'll be the "better" slide.

I dont understand why a small park like Jamberoo isnt aiming for more diversity in their masterplan, like the other small parks in Aus.

Instead its two lazy rivers, two dark mammoth slides, now two tornadoes.

Fun fact: one water park already has two Tornado slides...Rapids water park in FL has a conventional Tornado 60, and a dark Tornado 45.  

Final note: Back when Kraken was being hyped up for Adventure world, this is basically what I was expecting/hoping they would build .

Edited by Gazza

Very true. In the long term, out of The Perfect StormFunnel Web, The Perfect Storm is likely to be more popular. 

Jamberoo's original Kangaroo Island masterplan was diverse apart from Koala Creek & Platypus River (but at least we knew these were planned). The Perfect Storm would have been a fine addition (after all, apparently it's a world 1st!) - it's just the timing is not the best. If they built a Behemoth Bowl, Thunder Downunder, Emu Mountain Rapids and then The Perfect Storm, it would have been fine as visitors would have had diversity first and hence, a Tantrum Alley/Tornado hybrid would then 'look different'.

I think Platypus River is meant to be more of a 'transportation' means around Kangaroo Island than a whole new ride (even though it looks to be planned to be more thrilling than Rapid River). The Taipan is a different situation too - yes, it is 2 Dark Mammoth slides but they both opened at the same time.

I researched Rapids Water Park just then. They opened their 2 Tornadoes 3 years apart as well but I noticed that when they opened Black Thunder, they also opened 4 other new rides/attractions at the same time mainly a combined open/dark Mammoth as well as some kids' water slides/attractions. So different situation again but still, that is a nice fun fact: Jamberoo would then possibly be only 1 of 2 theme parks in the world to have 2 Tornadoes!

• Like 1

It will certainly be a popular addition to the park- of that there is no doubt. I agree wholeheartedly that the Behemoth bowl ending would have been a far better addition and would have rounded out the park significantly.

However, if the plans include for all the Tornado's to be enclosed and include special effects, then I feel that this would certainly be enough to set this ride apart from the Funnel Web. Fingers crossed that this occurs! Its still good to see expansion happening and I will certainly be looking forward to riding this when I visit in February of next year.

FunfieldsTornadoWAVE.thumb.PNG.8ed871854c8f102cdadb732cd93641e6.PNG

Looking at this new installation that is set to be installed at Funfields park in Victoria, I would certainly like to see a similar attraction come to Jamberoo, if only for the diversification of the presented rides. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jamberoo have confirmed that The Perfect Storm will have a mixture of closed and open Tornadoes on the ride and that enclosed theming will be utilised.

Whilst they did not say that the large end Tornado would be enclosed, it is a fair bet that this would be a prime candidate for the special effects to differentiate it from the nearby Funnel Web.

This is certainly good news and I am feeling a little better upon hearing it. The Perfect Storm needs this  to have a point of difference and ride experience from The Funnel Web. One thing is certainly for sure, once The Perfect Storm is built, both it and The Funnel Web will be a very imposing sight when viewed from the road.

On 31/07/2016 at 9:03 PM, Jobe said:

However, if the plans include for all the Tornado's to be enclosed and include special effects, then I feel that this would certainly be enough to set this ride apart from the Funnel Web. Fingers crossed that this occurs! 

Yeah, enclosed Tornadoes combined with special effects will definitely make The Perfect Storm a heaps more different experience to Funnel Web - only the exterior of the ride will look nearly the same but that alone could make visitors initially think that The Perfect Storm is nearly the same as Funnel Web. Hopefully, the exterior theming (if any) of The Perfect Storm is really good to prevent that from happening.

On 31/07/2016 at 9:03 PM, Jobe said:

FunfieldsTornadoWAVE.thumb.PNG.8ed871854c8f102cdadb732cd93641e6.PNG

Looking at this new installation that is set to be installed at Funfields park in Victoria, I would certainly like to see a similar attraction come to Jamberoo, if only for the diversification of the presented rides. 

A TornadoWAVE would be great to see at Jamberoo one day especially if the 'WAVE' portion of a TornadoWAVE blends into the terrain.

15 hours ago, Jobe said:

Jamberoo have confirmed that The Perfect Storm will have a mixture of closed and open Tornadoes on the ride and that enclosed theming will be utilised.

Whilst they did not say that the large end Tornado would be enclosed, it is a fair bet that this would be a prime candidate for the special effects to differentiate it from the nearby Funnel Web.

This is certainly good news and I am feeling a little better upon hearing it. The Perfect Storm needs this  to have a point of difference and ride experience from The Funnel Web. One thing is certainly for sure, once The Perfect Storm is built, both it and The Funnel Web will be a very imposing sight when viewed from the road.

I'm too feeling a little better upon reading that! That's great news! When I initially read The Perfect Storm's ride description, I got the impression the Tornado portion would be open while the Tantrum Alley would be enclosed but after reading it again later, I thought it would be better for it to be still open for debate but I do hope the Tornado portion is enclosed (with the enclosed theming) as it would differentiate it from Funnel Web and make it more thrilling than Funnel Web too. I'm expecting, at least, white strobe lighting inside the enclosed portions to emphasise the 'storm' narrative. Thunder sound effects would be welcome too but I do not know if enclosed Tornadoes have the capability to do sound effects. Does someone know if it is possible?

1 hour ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Yeah, enclosed Tornadoes combined with special effects will definitely make The Perfect Storm a heaps more different experience to Funnel Web - only the exterior of the ride will look nearly the same but that alone could make visitors initially think that The Perfect Storm is nearly the same as Funnel Web. Hopefully, the exterior theming (if any) of The Perfect Storm is really good to prevent that from happening.

A TornadoWAVE would be great to see at Jamberoo one day especially if the 'WAVE' portion of a TornadoWAVE blends into the terrain.

I'm too feeling a little better upon reading that! That's great news! When I initially read The Perfect Storm's ride description, I got the impression the Tornado portion would be open while the Tantrum Alley would be enclosed but after reading it again later, I thought it would be better for it to be still open for debate but I do hope the Tornado portion is enclosed (with the enclosed theming) as it would differentiate it from Funnel Web and make it more thrilling than Funnel Web too. I'm expecting, at least, white strobe lighting inside the enclosed portions to emphasise the 'storm' narrative. Thunder sound effects would be welcome too but I do not know if enclosed Tornadoes have the capability to do sound effects. Does someone know if it is possible?

I am no expert but I am sure that sound effects would be a distinct possibility.Someone like Joz or Rappa would be able to answer this definitively i am sure. Definitely strobe lighting to simulate lightning effects would be one thing to expect. Looking forward to this next February!!  Does anyone know if the movements yet of this ride? Any updates on where we are at- has it started to go vertical?

I just checked ProSlide's website & sound effects are possible on both Tornadoes and Tantrum Alleys. 

Unlike with Funnel Web & Banjo's Billabong, Jamberoo has not released any images of the ride's construction so far. @Jobe, the message you received in May from Jamberoo is still the most accurate measure of how construction is going & I'm confident they are still running on the 'schedule' they described in the message they sent to you:

Ground works, footings and splash pool are all being formed as we speak. The actual ride arrived recently in 42 shipping containers! and is being stored within the main car park, awaiting installation (scheduled for June). Full details of the new ride will be advised via our social media channels in the coming periods so keep an eye out for this... the ride will be ready for the start of season 2016|17 (24/9/16) so its going to be a great time to visit NSW's favourite water theme park this season ... till then ... Sammy ;)

Just an update on my previous info. Jamberoo Action Park have confirmed what we expected that the large end Tornado of the Perfect Storm will definitely be enclosed and will be subject to lights and special effects. @Jamberoo Fan this will certainly set this ride apart from The Funnel Web. I would not be surprised if all the Tornado's on this ride will be enclosed. Excellent news and fingers crossed that the effects include good quality audio and lighting effects as described by djrappa.

12 hours ago, Jobe said:

Just an update on my previous info. Jamberoo Action Park have confirmed what we expected that the large end Tornado of the Perfect Storm will definitely be enclosed and will be subject to lights and special effects. @Jamberoo Fan this will certainly set this ride apart from The Funnel Web. I would not be surprised if all the Tornado's on this ride will be enclosed. Excellent news and fingers crossed that the effects include good quality audio and lighting effects as described by djrappa.

Sounds amazing. Jamberoo is beginning to appeal a lot more than Wet 'n' Wild Sydney. This new attraction would definitely encourage me to visit, while there is not a lot calling me back to WnW. If Jamberoo added a decent master blaster-style slide next (ie. something longer than 'The Breakers'), that'd be the icing on the cake.

Edited by GoGoBoy

On 15/08/2016 at 5:51 PM, djrappa said:

Yeah Wet n Wild had some pretty cool audio and visual effects in its Brain Wash slide. 

Which Wet 'n' Wild is that, @djrappa?

On 15/08/2016 at 9:59 PM, Jobe said:

That's great to hear, @Jobe! This could be Australia's waterslide equivalent to a Gold Coast dark ride. From other ProSlide rides I've seen in videos that utilise special effects/lights, the themes those rides apply are very generic but from the promotion graphics revealed so far for The Perfect Storm, Jamberoo could be really creative in the theming for this ride. Most Tornado-style rides at Australian theme parks have little or no theming apart from Jamberoo's Funnel Web (with the ride framework acting as a 'web' next to a world-record breaking spider sculpture):

FunnelWeb5.thumb.jpg.d873ebad6ba078508cd

...and Adventure World's Kraken (with the impressive Kraken ship attack depiction around the ride):

cde724f1f926dd1277580af5745c2dd0.jpg

Jamberoo has done decent theming in it's post-2001 expansions from the 'Settler's Shack' of Billabong Beach and the Indigenous cave of Rapid River to the 'Bombora Wharf' of Outback Bay, the giant Taipan heads of The Taipan and of course, the world-record breaking spider sculpture of Funnel Web so I wonder how high Jamberoo is going to set it's theming standards for The Perfect Storm? We know it will have special effects, lighting and possibly theming inside the ride. This is likely to be white strobe lights, thunder sound effects and depending how they utilise the terrain, maybe some built-in theming. Though I think when Jamberoo said 'enclosed theming', they meant the lights/special effects so anything else other than that is less likely but who knows given what you said in the below quote:

On 13/08/2016 at 2:44 AM, Jobe said:

Jamberoo have confirmed that The Perfect Storm will have a mixture of closed and open Tornadoes on the ride

From the above quote, I'm going to assume the 1st Tornado of the Tantrum Alley will remain open. The 1 open Tornado though may feature theming that can be seen from inside the funnel by being built into the terrain (so the Tornado can be enclosed while technically being open). This allows the possibility (though unlikely) of built-in 'enclosed theming'.

But we also got to remember that the promotion graphics indicates the 'storm' is meant to 'hit a farm/country town' so external theming still has to be considered a possibility (like a 'destructed farmhouse' queue, scattered random debris, a 'destructed country street' ride exit and of course, landscaping to give a pre and post-storm 'farm/country' feel for example).

The special effects/lights will definitely set it apart from Funnel Web but assuming non-theme park enthusiast visitors don't know the type of ride The Perfect Storm is, first impressions (not on ride but like walking up to the ride for the 1st time) may still be a disappointment for them if this external theming doesn't eventuate or make it distinct enough from Funnel Web (apart from the world-record breaking spider sculpture next to Funnel Web).

On 16/08/2016 at 10:58 AM, GoGoBoy said:

If Jamberoo added a decent master blaster-style slide next (ie. something longer than 'The Breakers'), that'd be the icing on the cake.

@GoGoBoy - Still expecting Thunder Downunder (Jamberoo's proposed uphill water raft coaster) not to be built until Stage 4 of the Kangaroo Island expansion which is at least 2 more years away but here is the latest (though now out-of-date) artist impression of the expansion plans again to refresh your memory. Thunder Downunder (the orange/light blue water slide) looks longer than The Breakers I think:

development2012.jpg

Also

I just noticed on Jamberoo's website that they added these words to The Perfect Storm's webpage:

NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Whilst it doesn't imply that construction is running behind schedule, given that the above phase appeared 2 and a half weeks after the webpage was first published, it gives me a feeling that construction is running a little behind schedule & that they added the sentence so the first visitors to the Park this season don't get the impression The Perfect Storm has opened and operating.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Removed italics on a bracket & rearranged a sentence.

Thanks Jamberoo Fan. I just came across this image of the proposed slide on their website. The only thing I find a bit strange is that, as you hinted at JF, there seems to be almost no differentiation from the Funnel Web. It looks like it's exactly the same colour... and of course it ends with a giant tornado. So, their challenge should be to really try to set it apart (because clearly the experience will be different if it is indeed internally themed and equipped with effects). A different colour might help, or at least a distinctly different shade of grey!

rides-perfect-storm-lrg.gif

We've seen that one before @GoGoBoy - i'd say their teaser was just using the generic manufacturer's rendering rather than any artist's rendition with added theming - you wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag this early - i'm confident we'll see more than what you see in that image...

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

We've seen that one before @GoGoBoy - i'd say their teaser was just using the generic manufacturer's rendering rather than any artist's rendition with added theming - you wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag this early - i'm confident we'll see more than what you see in that image...

Yes I agree Alex, I definitely expect to see more. It is obviously just the manufacturer's schematic without any theming or presentation elements. However, the colour will mostly likely be the same -- and it's identical to the Funnel Web. They will definitely need to do a lot to differentiate it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Edited by GoGoBoy

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

We've seen that one before @GoGoBoy

Yeah, you might want to catch up on all the speculation we've been discussing, @GoGoBoy (assuming you haven't seen previous posts in this topic). It started back here in April when Jamberoo confirmed on Facebook that 'works already commenced' on Stage 2 of the Kangaroo Island expansion.

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

i'd say their teaser was just using the generic manufacturer's rendering rather than any artist's rendition with added theming - you wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag this early - i'm confident we'll see more than what you see in that image...

In the recent past, Jamberoo has released accurate renderings of their new rides, @AlexB, so I feel that the teaser they've released is what the ride is going to look like (especially as it looks like the colour of real tornadoes and as the local residents/government are extremely cautious about the colours of new rides at Jamberoo - they don't want it to affect the view of the surrounding natural landscape) but it definitely doesn't reveal the theming around the ride. I think Jamberoo is keeping that under wraps - they are unusually quieter about this new ride - still no construction photos yet after all.

6 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

However, the colour will mostly likely be the same -- and it's identical to the Funnel Web. They will definitely need to do a lot to differentiate it.

@GoGoBoy, there is the possibility that maybe one day Funnel Web may get a new coat of paint to differentiate it from The Perfect Storm (assuming Jamberoo's 2015 development application to adjust the Kangaroo Island expansion plans for this Tantrum Alley-Tornado hybrid included a proposed change of colour for Funnel Web). After all, the main theming on the Funnel Web structure is just the framework that holds the funnel in place - it represents a 'web' - so a new coat of paint (assuming a suitable colour is chosen) wouldn't affect the theme of Funnel Web too much. For example, it could be painted brown to represent a spider burrow. This is possible as the latest artist impression of the Kangaroo Island expansion (below) had the no-longer Tantrum Alley-Behemoth Bowl hybrid a brown colour - they could've just switched the colours of the ride in the 2015 development application. That shouldn't bother the local residents/government and it also improves the theming of both Funnel Web and the 2015 development application's proposed Tantrum Alley-Tornado hybrid (which we now know is called The Perfect Storm):

development2012.jpg.714aef372411d5c6feaf

Final Note

I just hope we aren't setting the bar too high for our expectations of The Perfect Storm's external theming.

I found these new images:

Jamberoo%201_0.png?itok=CQhJyLD4

Jamberoo%202.png?itok=MWd0Pf8i

It reveals that the brand name for a Tantrum Alley/Tornado hybrid is WorldALLEY. It also shows how The Perfect Storm will look compared to Funnel Web - a slight colour difference can be noticed but they are still very similar. I believe it also confirms that the 1st Tornado of the Tantrum Alley portion of The Perfect Storm will be open. It is difficult to tell so I would be interested to know if other forum members agree?

On 17/08/2016 at 7:31 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

The 1 open Tornado though may feature theming that can be seen from inside the funnel by being built into the terrain (so the Tornado can be enclosed while technically being open). This allows the possibility (though unlikely) of built-in 'enclosed theming'.

Given the 2nd image shows the land contours, does this confirm, for The Perfect Storm, that there will be no built-in enclosed theming like I speculated (above) or would any theming (including any built-in/enclosed) still be kept secret as @AlexB suggested (below)?

On 18/08/2016 at 7:21 AM, AlexB said:

i'd say their teaser was just using the generic manufacturer's rendering rather than any artist's rendition with added theming - you wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag this early - i'm confident we'll see more than what you see in that image...

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added more words and rearranged some sentences.

Awesome!! Thanks @Jamberoo Fan. I think its looking good. I am not to worried about external theming- and believe that it will be a evolving process. I do not remember the Funnell Web spider structure in the original plans and they took a good couple of years to put in place as well. I am happy that 2 out of 3 Tornado's will be enclosed and I am sure that the effects utilised inside ( especially the 60 m final one) will be excellent! Bring on open day!!

When we found out the themes for all the Kangaroo Island rides in 2010, the Funnel Web spider sculpture always featured but like you said @Jobe, they didn't build it immediately when Funnel Web was built in 2013. It took 2 more years for it to appear. In fact, Jamberoo's Tornado was originally themed to be associated with a frill-necked lizard (complete with a frill-necked lizard sculpture in the same place where the Funnel Web spider sculpture now stands), which was the 1st & only clue to the theming of Kangaroo Island's rides prior to 2010.

I think the reason why the spider sculpture wasn't built for Funnel Web's opening day in December 2013 was because Jamberoo wanted to build 2 rides (Banjo's Billabong being the 2nd ride) instead of just 1 and hence the spider sculpture got delayed (as it is an 'extra' part of Funnel Web) particularly as it was probably expensive and required a lot of manpower/machinery to build. Jamberoo probably preferred those resources allocated to Banjo's Billabong.

In The Perfect Storm's case, I think all the theming will be in place and operational on opening day as firstly, (relating to what I said in the previous paragraph) they are only building 1 ride this time not 2 so more work on theming can be included into the construction schedule & secondly, Jamberoo has been building The Perfect Storm since before the 2015/2016 season ended unlike Funnel Web and Banjo's Billabong which started constructed well after the 2012/2013 season ended and hence (and maybe also due to delays) pushed the opening date from the 2013/2014 season start in September 2013 to December 2013.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added the latter 2 paragraphs

With the 2016/17 season & The Perfect Storm only 24 days away, Jamberoo Action Park has started selling their 2016/17 e-tickets today. Prices are below - quoted from Jamberoo's E-Tickets webpage. Prices for E-Tickets are the same as tickets sold at the Park.

General Admission Prices for the 2016/17 season:

Adult 13+: $54.99

Children 4-12: $45.99 

Children Under 3: Free

Seniors 60+: $45.99 

From the 2015/16 Jamberoo Action Park season, there has been no change in general admission prices. A $4.95 transaction fee applies online too.

Other than priority entry, e-ticket purchasers also get a gift card & a promotional offer. The latter does not apply for general admission ticket purchases at the Park while the gift card I'm unsure if it applies to general admission ticket purchases at the Park.

On 29/07/2016 at 8:29 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Season Pass Prices for the 2016/17 season:

Season Pass Online (Prior to 01/09/2016): $104.99

Season Pass Online/At The Park: $124.99

From the 2015/16 Jamberoo Action Park season, season passes purchased online prior to 01/09/2015 have increased by $10 while the other general season pass options have increased by $10 except purchasing the season pass at the park (There is a chance Jamberoo just has not updated their website fully yet so maybe except a $10 increase in that price too). 

According to Jamberoo's Season Pass webpage, the price for a Season Pass purchased at the Park is still $124.99 so given the proximity to the 2016/17 Jamberoo Action Park season beginning, I would no longer expect that price to increase by $10.

Correction - Season Pass Online: $114.99

A $4.95 transaction fee applies online too. This means that compared to the 2015/16 Jamberoo Action Park season, there has been no change in prices for season passes that are purchased after the 1st of September.

On 17/08/2016 at 7:31 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Also

I just noticed on Jamberoo's website that they added these words to The Perfect Storm's webpage:

NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Whilst it doesn't imply that construction is running behind schedule, given that the above phase appeared 2 and a half weeks after the webpage was first published, it gives me a feeling that construction is running a little behind schedule & that they added the sentence so the first visitors to the Park this season don't get the impression The Perfect Storm has opened and operating.

Jamberoo has now changed those quoted words from The Perfect Storm's webpage on their website to:

construction.gif

...and have slightly changed the GIF on that webpage to this:

perfectstorm-comingsoon.gif

And again, whilst it doesn't imply that construction is running behind schedule, given they suddenly added emphasis that it is 'coming this season' despite the season starting in only 23 days, it adds to my feeling that construction is running behind schedule.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added a hyperlink to The Perfect Storm's webpage on Jamberoo Action Park's website & added italics to some words

Jamberoo updated their park map today which gives the first sign of The Perfect Storm's (possible?) theming - a tractor, a Model T Ford ute, an utility pole, a piece of wood & a horse placed around the exterior of The Perfect Storm's main Tornado:

parkmap-full-16.jpg

Hard to tell but based on the above park map, I think Jamberoo is also building a small shelter to store tubes next to The Perfect Storm's splash pool. I think the lockers next to Banjo's Billabong are new too.

By the way, here is the source of the park map image from my previous post.

Also, I just noticed this on Jamberoo's day lockers webpage:

NEW in 2016... look out for RECHARGE HERE! lockers that allow you to recharge your personal electronic devices while you store them in your locker, simply bring along your 240v charger and cord to plug into the power board inside the locker ... it's that easy! RECHARGE HERE! lockers are inBombora Pavillon, located in the centre of the park... 

Simply, powerboards now feature within the Bombora Pavilion lockers for paying guests' use.

I'm unsure but is this new for theme parks (at least in Australia)?