Jamberoo Action Park Expansion

zacsta_1997

Mate, you're not going to submit EVERY ride on a 10 year masterplan to council at the same time - and that isn't what I said. What I said was stage one. The mammoth is on the plan, and it got built... The usual run time on a DA ( @YLFATEEKS correct me if i'm wrong here) is about 2 years - and whilst you can get extensions, a lot things can change in 2 years - not least of which would be conditions council might impose and legislation or regulations that would require changes to the DA after that time period. The only things put to council are the attractions planned to be built (well - construction started) within the period of expiry.

Might have been a misinterpretation. Anyway, I was mainly just pointing out that The Taipan was the last rather than the 1st stage of a master plan. I'm pretty sure though Jamberoo did submit their whole Kangaroo Island masterplan as one application (otherwise why would they need to modify it for The Perfect Storm?). Kangaroo Island also went to the Southern Joint Regional Planning Panel twice - it wasn't just any ordinary development application. And without a doubt, plans did change over the entire 5 year approval process.

When you mean 'run time', do you mean the time length it is allowed to be assessed before having to reapply or the time length after approval that they have to build it in before having to reapply?

I've haven't noticed anything like that in Jamberoo's DA's (otherwise I wouldn't be contemplating some of the other proposed rides as seriously anymore). It does make sense though. Maybe laws are different between QLD & NSW or Jamberoo has an expiration date very far away in the future? I don't think Jamberoo would go to all that effort over 5 years to apply for development, go to that Panel twice as well as to the Land & Environment Court to get the whole Kangaroo Island masterplan approved in 2012 only to have it expire in 2014.

I also think the design of Kangaroo Island (with the proposed Platypus River going under Funnel Web for starters) meant it all had to be sent in as 1 DA.

• 2 weeks later...

From Jamberoo's 'Retail Shopping' webpage:

online-photobooth-square.png                            NEW for 2016 - View, Share & Post your Photos Online

NEW for Season 2016 - View, Share & Post your Photos online with our NEW Photo Card provided by our photographic partner Kodak!

For ONLY $10 dollars you can capture souvenir photos all on one card that you can then View, Share or Post online. Send to your facebook friends a souvenir photo instantly using the NEW Photo Card or turn those memories into fantastic gifts! Need an idea for Christmas/birthdays? Then why not get that great family photo on The Taipan made into a mug for mum, or the fun photo with Sammy the Shark made into a T-Shirt for dad! And much more.

So whilst in the park, after you get off your favourite ride, simply make your way to the Scan and Go Station, FIND your photo on the screen then SCAN your photo to your wrist band. Once you’ve scanned your barcode, be sure to head to PhotoBooth - before the Park closes for the day, located in the centre of the park, to view all your photos for FREE. To View, Share or Post Online via the NEW Photo Card simply select the photos you like and these are loaded onto the NEW Photo Card for ONLY $10 dollars. Start sharing your souvenir photos instantly!

Share your fun Jamberoo Action Park memories with family and friends using View, Share & Post your Photos Online.

*Outlet opening times subject to seasonality. Photo Card photos are available on the following slides: The Taipan, Funnel Web & The Perfect Storm. Must purchase Photo Card before leaving park. One wrist band bar code per Photo Card*

• 4 weeks later...

Great to see they are starting to enclose the main Tornado of The Perfect Storm! Thanks for finding & sharing that for us, @TomiJ!

Also, I like how ProSlide has a model of Jamberoo's Funnel Web/The Perfect Storm combination (minus the enclosure of The Perfect Storm's main Tornado) at the IAAPA Attractions Expo:

ProSlideIAAPA.jpg

Image: Theme Park Review

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

• 3 weeks later...

This Facebook post from Jamberoo confirms The Perfect Storm's main Tornado is finally fully enclosed. Now is the lighting/sound/effects inside it operational and has the external theming around the main Tornado been completed? The external theming is debris on top of the main Tornado itself + a small tubes shelter themed to a rusted corrugated galvanised iron-roofed wooden building (with a concrete chimney).

Also, Jamberoo has confirmed it's Summer Fun Pass will go on sale on the 23rd of December this season.

The landscaping around Kangaroo Island is looking pretty scenic too.

1 hour ago, SunshineTom said:

These cant be cheap....? 3-5 million a piece?

The Perfect Storm cost $5 million.

1 hour ago, SunshineTom said:

Why would they install the same thing?

It isn't exactly the same:

On 06/10/2016 at 7:34 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

There are a few obvious differences though (when construction is complete):

1. The Perfect Storm has 2 smaller Tornadoes while Funnel Web has a few extra corners/helices.
  2. The Perfect Storm has enclosed Tornadoes while Funnel Web does not.
  3. The Perfect Storm has special effects while Funnel Web does not.
  4. The Perfect Storm's framework of its large Tornado will have debris theming placed on it whilst Funnel Web has a world-record breaking Funnel Web spider sculpture next to its' large Tornado.

...but to answer why did they install another large Tornado, here's the answer:

On 17/06/2015 at 11:24 AM, Jamberoo Action Park said:

...because new ride technologies available...

1 hour ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

The Perfect Storm cost $5 million.

It isn't exactly the same:

...but to answer why did they install another large Tornado, here's the answer:

I'm sorry but in the eyes of the general public they installed the same thing. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck. Same ride concept with a couple of slight differences, same length, same ride experience, same colour scheme and right next to each other. Silly. They should've put in a Constrictor or Boomerango...or hybrid.

25 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

I'm sorry but in the eyes of the general public they installed the same thing.

Just so you know, I've always thought that too.

25 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

...same ride experience, same colour scheme... 

They should've put in a Constrictor or Boomerango...or hybrid.

The ride experience is different - it's dark inside & utilises special effects such as lights & sounds.

The original plan, in fact, was for it to be a Tantrum Alley-Behemoth Bowl hybrid. The Perfect Storm is actually a Tantrum Alley-Tornado hybrid branded by ProSlide as WorldAlley.

The colour scheme is the same because local residents are extremely concerned about the choice of colours affecting the scenery of the local area so Jamberoo has limited colours to work with as Kiama Municipal Council probably has put limitations on what colours they can use. The colour scheme they did end up using also fits in with the 'storm' theme but in hindsight, they should have had Funnel Web's colour scheme as the original colour scheme for the Tantrum Alley-Behemoth Bowl hybrid, which was dark/light brown - this could have represented the burrow of a Funnel Web spider.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Now that stage 3 is complete (minus some of the theming and landscape)

Here's what is left: 

• Littlies interactive play area - sitting adjacient to Bango's Billabong, incorporating lots of watery slides and fun for kids upto 5/6 years old
  • Giant Rapid River - This river attraction is twice as long as our current Rapid River and will connect all the rides in the Kangaroo Island Area. When you finish any of the water slides you will be able to get straight into the river to work your way around to other rides and attractions.
  • Mammoth Mountain Raft Ride - Two huge flumes take water rafts twisting and turning down the mountain
  • The Rocket - A rocket coaster incorporating maglev technology to propel people along the tube and up the hill

What do you think stage 4 will be and what year do you think you will see it

@Jamberoo Fan yea your probably right. Dax Eddie, executive director of jamberoo said in a video  it was stage 3 of 7. However in the past it has been noted as stage 2 and the video seems it was done by a amateur reporter. 

Here is the video:

Edited by TomiJ
Added wrong video

@GoGoBoy, if that is The Perfect Storm fully completed, they got to make it heaps darker than that! Especially if they want the lighting effects to be seen in their full glory!

18 hours ago, TomiJ said:

Dax Eddie, executive director of jamberoo said in a video  it was stage 3 of 7.

True but this is what they mean: Stage 2 of 4 - Ride/Attraction 3 of 7.

Also:

The Perfect Storm, I believe, has been completed (check out that theming!)...

perfectstorm-nowopen1.gif

... as Jamberoo launches a new television commercial for the peak summer season:

GIF/YouTube video from Jamberoo Action Park's website/YouTube channel.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

I hear what you're saying @jake_hunt but i think its far easier to see the differences in a coaster than it is a waterslide.

One has one funnel, the other has three, and two of the three are enclosed. same rafts, same colour scheme, very similar ride experience, ones just a triple repetition of the other.

A cobra roll can be inverted or sit down, launched or chain lift, shuttle or full circuit - each of which gives a very different experience to the rider. They can also be on Vekoma, Intamin, B&M etc - with each manufacturer doing things slightly differently which also contributes to a different experience.

A tornado funnel, apart from the size itself, isn't much different from one to the other. Enclosing them and adding some strobes doesn't really change overall (especially when the enclosure is so bright so as to almost negate the flash lighting in the first place).

I do get what you're saying, and they are, in essence, completely different concepts to the manufacturer and indeed to the park, but from a guest perspective, they look the same, and the ride experience you get from both of them would be very similar.

I mean, you're not going to go and build a Vekoma Boomerang, and a Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang side by side in the same park, even though (as I've said above) they'd deliver a different experience... You'd go with one or the other.

You wouldn't build MDMC right next to Jet Rescue - they're the same model, but with some arguable differences, but to the public they would really regard them as pretty much the same ride.

You wouldn't put a Disk'O Coaster next to a GyroSwing #OhShit #Wait #Nevermind...

Edited by AlexB
fixed. thanks Tim.