Jamberoo Action Park Expansion

zacsta_1997

check out that theming!

Hehe at the South Park bus shopped in.

As for the ride POV, aside from being one ride, this offers literally nothing beyond Tantrum and T5 in Sydney...They didn't even make the funnel properly dark inside like the one in Orlando.

It's still a good slide, don't get me wrong, but not at all what they needed.

4 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

@GoGoBoy, if that is The Perfect Storm fully completed, they got to make it heaps darker than that! Especially if they want the lighting effects to be seen in their full glory!

True but this is what they mean: Stage 2 of 4 - Ride/Attraction 3 of 7.

Also:

The Perfect Storm, I believe, has been completed (check out that theming!)...

perfectstorm-nowopen1.gif

... as Jamberoo launches a new television commercial for the peak summer season:

GIF/YouTube video from Jamberoo Action Park's website/YouTube channel.

Yes, check out that CLEARLY photoshopped theming. LMAO are you being serious?

Edited by SunshineTom

Yes, I'm serious:

PerfectStormTheming.jpg

This is part of a photo from Jamberoo's website:

• Top circle: The bus & utility pole theming on the grass waiting installation. The Model T Ford ute theming is already installed on The Perfect Storm's main Tornado.
  • Middle circle: The outhouse theming waiting installation.
  • Bottom circle: The cow theming waiting installation.

3 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Yes, I'm serious:

PerfectStormTheming.jpg

This is part of a photo from Jamberoo's website:

• Top circle: The bus & utility pole theming on the grass waiting installation. The Model T Ford ute theming is already installed on The Perfect Storm's main Tornado.
  • Middle circle: The outhouse theming waiting installation.
  • Bottom circle: The cow theming waiting installation.

The photo you said isn't photoshopped is 100% photoshopped. Even Blind Freddy can see that. Get a grip lol. I'd say that is their projection for what the theming will look like AFTER it's finished. 

13 hours ago, jake_hunt said:

I can see both sides here I guess, but I would say it's fairly unique. It's like Triple Vortex with two enclosed funnels and the last one is full-size, while Funnel Web is essentially the Green Room (give or take a few helices and bends at the start). There's a different ride experience between those two.

You're better off comparing Tantrum and T5 at Wet'n'Wild Sydney to these two slides than Triple Boretex and Green Room. Whilst they are similar the idea of the two smaller funnels and a finale with a larger one would be a great addition and attract for a park even with just one standard Tornado. Can also see The Perfect Storm being more popular than Funnel Web (last visit to WnW Sydney Tantrum was the more popular of the two tornado slides)

@Jamberoo Fan - in the two pictures of the bus on this page, one is to the right of the funnel, next to the rickety shed, the second one with the red circles you posted has the bus on the left of the funnel, out in the middle of grass. that doesn't prove its in the position that Gazza said was shopped. Again, it may be their view of how it will look when finished, and hte bus may already be on site but not in position.

I'm sure it will look like that eventually, but the single image posted showing it next to the funnel doesn't appear to be legitimate.

Credit where credit's due -- if it ends up looking like that promo pic, this will be one of the best themed tornado slides I have seen, alongside AW's Kraken. I agree that it was a very strange ride choice considering the existence of Funnel Web (and the fact that the colour doesn't distinguish it from that ride much), but they deserve full marks for theming, at least by Asutralian water park standards. Wet 'n' Wild Sydney (and even Gold Coast now) should be ASHAMED.

Edited by GoGoBoy

I disagree - only because I don't think water parks need to have some sort of elaborate theme OUTSIDE the ride itself. A few little touches to keep with the ride concept - such as Kraken's tentacles is probably as far as i'd go. I think Jamberoo probably went overboard here, but they probably did so in the desperate hope to differentiate it from Funnel Web - and given the similarities, I can't really blame them.

But does that mean Wet N Wild should start sticking weird bits of farm machinery on their tornado? Or mount a giant Boa onto Constrictor? I don't think so. it isn't necessary.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I disagree - only because I don't think water parks need to have some sort of elaborate theme OUTSIDE the ride itself. A few little touches to keep with the ride concept - such as Kraken's tentacles is probably as far as i'd go. I think Jamberoo probably went overboard here, but they probably did so in the desperate hope to differentiate it from Funnel Web - and given the similarities, I can't really blame them.

But does that mean Wet N Wild should start sticking weird bits of farm machinery on their tornado? Or mount a giant Boa onto Constrictor? I don't think so. it isn't necessary.

The way i see it is Jamberoo is an LG Washing Machine and WNW is a Samsung Dishwasher. WNWGC are in a spot where not only do they have Market Share of the tourists but because of that, theming doesn't need to exist. the park runs on its name alone, and that's part of Sydney's downfall. They are the original GC water park and so that's why people flock to it. cause its what they know and were brought up with. Meanwhile in the Southern Highlands, Jamberoo needed to make a name for itself to get Sydneysiders to travel up to 2 hours to go to such a small park. So the theming is them not only trying to differentiate themselves from the competition but also using it as a chance to stay upright and keep their fanbase (something that's been really easy as of late.).

I don't really get the reference to whitegoods - Samsung dishwashers catch fire. Samsung Washing Machines catch fire. Samsung Phones catch fire. It seems its not really a good position to be in to have a Samsung anything. Further, i've only ever owned LG washing machines and cannot complain.

I don't think it's a market share issue. WnW has always had a very thin theme. Every waterpark i've ever been to growing up had a thin (or non existent) theme - because you didn't really need one. It was only ever about water, slides, and fun. that's all you need.

I don't think plastering your rides with farm machinery is a way to convince people to travel 2 hours to get there. Jamberoo made its name even in the early 90s with the toboggans - it was something different. I personally dislike the fact that Jamberoo is becoming more and more a waterpark because they are losing their point of difference, and no amount of farm machinery is going to make up for that. What they need to do is offer something that their competitors don't offer. The toboggans are a big part of that. I'd love to see them do 'worlds longest waterslide' utilising the chairlift and toboggan mountain to get people to the summit, before sliding all the way down - follow the toboggan tracks or make a new one - either way i don't care, but that would be awesome.

21 hours ago, Gazza said:

I think it's 50-50, because not all the objects are casting shadows, but the smaller bits like the animals etc are.

I can find a shadow for each object (except the bus) - some shadows though I think are hidden by some objects, the framework & the shadow caused by the main Tornado itself.

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

...that doesn't prove its in the position that Gazza said was shopped. Again, it may be their view of how it will look when finished, and hte bus may already be on site but not in position.

I agree that it doesn't exactly 'prove' it - I just didn't think Jamberoo would go to the effort & cost of producing that image when theming installation would be so close to completion. That image was also only published yesterday I believe too.

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

I don't really get the reference to whitegoods - Samsung dishwashers catch fire. Samsung Washing Machines catch fire. Samsung Phones catch fire. It seems its not really a good position to be in to have a Samsung anything. Further, i've only ever owned LG washing machines and cannot complain.

I think that's part of the point of the analogy - Wet 'n' Wild Sydney has had lots of problems/complaints while Jamberoo rarely does.

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

Every waterpark i've ever been to growing up had a thin (or non existent) theme - because you didn't really need one.

Traditional theme park rides like rollercoasters & flat rides etc. were the same until the 1950's when elaborate themes started to be added to them. Personally, I like the addition of themes to waterslides.

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

I'd love to see them do 'worlds longest waterslide' utilising the chairlift and toboggan mountain to get people to the summit, before sliding all the way down - follow the toboggan tracks or make a new one - either way i don't care, but that would be awesome.

I've always wished they did that too (but without getting rid of Bobsled) particularly if it begun with a ProSlide SkyBOX at the summit.

20 hours ago, AlexB said:

But using that logic, you could say the same thing about dry park rides. Why do people expect to see Dreamworld theme their rides? Because of the atmosphere and the feeling it creates. Look, I do see your point. I do think water parks can get away with minimal theming in some cases. But they should at least have excellent landscaping and great presentation and signage to make up for it. Lush tropical landscaping can be a good alternative to decent theming. But we certainly don't see that at WnW Sydney, which basically reminds me of an expanded H20 Zone.

I remember back when WnW Gold Coast first installed White Water Mountain and for a while it was a real move to immersive themed attractions. As a kid I had never had any interest in visiting the park, until this attraction opened. I remember the picture on the front of the brochure showing two people on a raft flying out of the themed White Water Mountain. The brochure also made reference to the fibre optic special effects that were installed on the slide. This was enough to make me want to go to the park.

Not too long after they opened Calypso Beach: another brilliantly immersive attraction with a very distinctive theme and lots of attention to detail. Then -- and despite obvious attendance success -- they gave up. We got H20 Zone with no theming, super basic signage and almost no landscaping. It's like a water park version of Luna Park's Maloney's Corner. They repeated this at WnW Sydney; reversed only very, very slightly when they re-themed the kids area to Nickelodeon. Thankfully we have these other Australian water parks which understand the value of creating a bit of additional excitement and atmosphere. I personally appreciate the creativity and effort involved. And just like WnW GC back in the '90s, Jamberoo even managed to bring the story inside the slide, with special effects in the main funnel.

Edited by GoGoBoy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I think that's part of the point of the analogy - Wet 'n' Wild Sydney has had lots of problems/complaints while Jamberoo rarely does.

No, the analogy was simply to compare a market leader to an also ran, and nothing more.

47 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

they should at least have excellent landscaping and great presentation and signage to make up for it. Lush tropical landscaping can be a good alternative to decent theming. But we certainly don't see that at WnW Sydney, which basically reminds me of an expanded H20 Zone.

I totally agree with this - and this is kinda the point i'm trying to make - a waterpark should be nicely landscaped, great presentation and signage. Simple, effective. A lot (not all) of WnWGC has that (i do agree about H2O zone and WNWS) - even WWW - which has tried to 'theme' the entire park hasn't got much more than a few giant thongs, some signage to fit the theme of the slide (see Cut Snake for example) and nice landscaping. We don't have a giant surfboarder mounted on top of the green room funnel!

I completely forgot that the theming on The Perfect Storm's main Tornado can also be seen fully installed in their new TV commercial (I knew I saw it somewhere else) at the 9 second mark.

Also, Jamberoo today released this season's Dive-In Movies schedule:

• 31st December 2016 – Minions
  • 7th January 2017 – Inside Out
  • 14th January 2017 – Home
  • 21st January 2017 – The Good Dinosaur
  • 28th January 2017 - The Peanuts Movie

On 12/9/2016 at 10:29 AM, AlexB said:

No, the analogy was simply to compare a market leader to an also ran, and nothing more.

I certainly do not agree with calling Jamberoo Action Park an also ran @AlexB, if that is indeed what you are implying. ( Forgive me if I have misunderstood)

They are certainly not overshadowed by Wet"N Wild Sydney and there is certainly an argument as to which is the better park, IMHO.

Wet' N Wild DOES have the better roster of slides but not by much.

Jamberoo beats Wet"n Wild on just about everything else- location, ambience, great team, atmosphere, ability to handle large crowds and more diverse attractions with the 2 tobaggan runs and even Putt Putt golf. The grounds are clean, immaculate and well established and offer a far more appealing aesthetic than the sterile picture that is offered at Wet'N Wild.

I don't want to turn this into a Jamberoo versus a Wet'N Wild piss fight,they both have their positives and negatives, but to refer to Jamberoo as an also ran? That could not be further from the truth.

I have been to both and I know which one I prefer.

Edited by Jobe

Firstly, the analogy wasn't mine. I simply translated it, and corrected JF's poor attempt and translating it in another way that was wrong. An also ran isn't an insult... but acknowledging that even with Samsung's problems, they are still a market leader - LG is not something that immediately comes to mind for most people when they start thinking of what product to buy. I know if i am thinking of buying a new TV, my first thought goes to Sony, second to Samsung, and third to LG - yet I have 2 LG TVs and one Sony in my house.

It doesn't make them a poor product, it just suggests (correctly in my opinion) that they aren't the first thing that comes to mind when most people think 'Water Park'. Australia now has two Wet N Wild parks owned by the same company. The brand is strong, it's well known, it's assisted by great passes that work in both parks if you spend enough money. I'm sure if Grant Denyer surveyed 100 people and the top two results were on the board, 'Name an Australian Water Slide Park' - Wet N Wild would be the top answer.

I love Jamberoo. I spent many days as a kid there where it was all about the toboggans, and getting lost in the lattice maze, leaving your watch and bus pass as a deposit to hire grass skis, and never venturing up the hill to the old brick restaurant that never looked like it was open, but the fact of the matter is (and this leads me to my next point) the bulk of the population of Sydney don't get home at 4pm on a sweltering summer day and go 'who wants to drive 2 hours to go to Jamberoo for a quick swim?'

Onto my second point - the very first thing you said Jamberoo beat WnWS on was location... and on that point I have to solidly disagree, pretty well for the reason already stated above - WnWS is close. it also doesn't have a tractor bolted above your head when you're on a slide. I haven't been to WnWS, and the last time I was at Jamberoo was well before Funnel Web - but if i were visiting sydney - i'd probably find it more likely to visit WnW whilst I was there than Jamberoo... and in case there weren't enough reasons as to why i'll give you one more - @pin142 is shouting me a ride on the skycoaster. Would I also want to go to Jamberoo - hell yes, as a matter of fact i'd prefer it (this is me agreeing with you) but realistically, I know which one i'm more likely to get to.

Pretty much everything else you said I agree with. I've seen pictures of WnWS. I've read the stories, and many people hate its poor set up, poor operations, lack of shade and landscaping... but yet they still go... because it is in their eyes, all they've got. 

@AlexB, I didn't 'attempt' to translate it - that's just how I read it but I acknowledge my initial interpretation was probably not what @jjuttp meant. By the way, you said you've been in Jamberoo's former maze - can you tell me more about it (particularly it's operating years & location in the park)? For a while, I've known Jamberoo had a maze but have found little information about it.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Short answer is it sat on part of the land occupied by outback bay. It, and the dam for the powerboats. From park entry, boats first, then the maze.

You can see the old powerboat dam in the top right of this photo. The maze is behind the trees to the left.

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/320-Chairlift/gallery/sort/newest/location/park-14/offset/86

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2016 at 10:59 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:
Also, Jamberoo has confirmed it's Summer Fun Pass will go on sale on the 23rd of December this season.

The Summer Fun Pass went on sale on Christmas Eve and gives you unlimited entry until Tuesday 28th February 2017 & a chance to win a $200 Kodak Moments voucher on Australia Day.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the Parkz forums so I thought I'd finally make a post. Sorry to bump this older thread, was lacking the courage to start a new one and I think the topic fits anyway :D

Found this article from the Illawarra Mercury: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4916625/swept-up-with-excitement-as-jamberoo-action-park-prepares-to-open/

First notable point is the mention of theming upgrades for The Perfect Storm. Although there was a strobe installed last season (I think), from this it sounds like it's getting a bit of an upgrade. Hopefully they will have fully darkened the covered Tornado 60.

The first thing visitors will notice is The Perfect Storm has been improved with strobe lighting to add to the experience inside and more landscaping and theme elements added outside.

“This winter we have completed extensive theming and work on the new Perfect Storm to give it a story. A look that will immediately gives guests and understanding of what they are about to experience,” [Mr Eddy] said.

Some new engineering and design work will help those about to ride think about a tornado and how they are so powerful the wind can pick up animals, building and machinery. Inside there is strobe lighting and large speakers to create the effect of lighting and thunder to enhance the experience by impacting on more senses during the ride.

Second point is, once again, a mention of a new attraction in the coming years:

Winter was the time for months of maintenance and improvement. And the Eddy family has big plans for more ongoing investment in the pipeline with a master plan for another major attraction underway.

It is a large world first attraction designed by Jamberoo Action Park itself based on what visitors like. 

General manager Dax Eddy said it combines exciting elements from other attractions he has seen around the world and will be three rides in one. Once the plans are finalised and a development application is lodged he will reveal more about what is planned and the timing of what is expected to be a $6.5 million construction.

Now I will treat this part with some skepticism, but judging by Jamberoo's investments in recent years, this could be something pretty huge. Personally, I was hoping for a Proslide HydroMagnetic Rocket, but judging by this description, that option seems to be out.

Side-note: I think that a Hydromagnetic Rocket would do wonders for Jamberoo, maybe they're saving it for further down the track. As another user said, it would be awesome if they built one after all the rest of Kangaroo Island is complete, then it could weave around the other attractions.

So at this stage I'm thinking hoping that this might be something like a Behemoth Bowl 40 (or 60!?) then two Tornado WAVE 60's back to back, similar to the one that's just gone in at Volcano Bay in Orlando. I hear that ride is one of their most popular. Ticks both boxes of "world first" and "three rides in one".

Then again, it could just be a play on words, and be three different tube / body slides (in some "never-before-seen" combination). What does everybody think??

scadam.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Development IS actually happening, at least I believe so. On this website, it reads that the Thunder Downunder Ride, a 4 person raft ride will be opening in September 2018, I saw a picture and I believe it is Red, and yellow in the middle of the giant rapids river. On the same picture you can see that not only is the (possible) Thunder Downunder there, but multiple aspects of scenery and decoration, and possibly even shops and utilities. Aside from that, the Emu Mammoth Mountain Ride, Possibly coming in 2022, will be an open tube 6 person raft ride with a second enclosed option being two mini funnels. Now even though the picture is an artists impression, the enclosed option features two mini funnels even smaller than the Perfect Storm’s. I’d like to see how that turns out... On top of that, the Giant Rapids River will allow you to get on the Perfect storm and travel towards the other rides including The Funnel Web, the Thunder Downunder (possible) which you pass the exit and climb some stairs, and furthermore, the Emu Mountain Ride, which I assume will be a very annoying walk up the hill, although it is supposedly in line with both the Funnel Web, and Perfect Storm.