10 y.o. dies at SFMM

DJKostya

Yeah - that's what happens when Journo's 'update' their stories without "re-proofing" them:

UPDATE

12:42 p.m.: This post has been updated with comments from Six Flags Magic Mountain.

11:51 a.m.: This story has been updated with details on an L.A. Times analysis of theme park injuries.

This story was first published at 9:48 a.m

I'm betting pre-existing condition - probably heart or head. Park is not at fault. 'L.A. Times analysis of theme park injuries is ground breaking stuff.... who would have thought dizzyness and nausea would be the number one complaint, followed by neck and back pain?

Whilst i'm sure Revolution is not 'responsible' for this child's death, I envisage SFMM may look to remove or refurb it soon... it's pushing 40 years old... It may not be the oldest steel coaster in the world... but it is starting to feel like it!

'L.A. Times analysis of theme park injuries is ground breaking stuff.... who would have thought dizzyness and nausea would be the number one complaint, followed by neck and back pain?

I wouldn't complain about a bit of back, neck or head pain after riding some rides, especially if I was repeat riding something like Goliath, pulling 4.5G on that helix. I came off Lethal Weapon with bruised ears once and I've had a bit of a sore head after riding Superman Escape all day but that's just what happens when you subject yourself to such forces over and over again.

As for dizziness and nausea, this is just part of the parcel is it not? No way I would classify that as a theme park 'injury', if you just spin around on the spot for a few minutes you get dizzy and nauseous.

I envisage SFMM may look to remove or refurb it soon... it's pushing 40 years old... It may not be the oldest steel coaster in the world... 

Umm it's the first vertical looping coaster in the world and an ACE classic coaster. 

I doubt they will remove it until the day they can no longer keep it running and I'm glad for that. 

How old is the Matterhorn again? 

Yes, Matterhorn is older (technically so is Space Mountain Orlando), but I think Disney has done several refurbs and rebuilds on a track which is largely sheltered indoors (coupled with the need for high intensity maintenance on the bobsleds due to the repetitive water brakes)...

Disney's a poor example to compare against - their maintenance and care of attractions (barring certain periods of Eisner's involvement) is second to none. SFMM's maintenance would not live up to the same standard.

(I'm not suggesting their maintenance procedures are unsafe - just not as pedantic.)

Don't get me wrong - I love revolution, love the movie, and have ridden it in both the 90s and the... 10s? I absolutely found it was quite jarring back in 2013 (although not as bad as Thunderbolt was), but still enjoyed the terrain and layout amazing (especially going over the bits that featured in the film)... but it is a rough ride and it is going to start causing more and more injuries.

Although extremely unlikely - if the coroner comes back and says this girl had no pre-existing condition, and her injury\death is entirely the fault of the coaster - it'll be gone tomorrow - regardless of what ACE fanboys think.

What is the factual basis for any of your comments?

What is this "more and more injuries" nonsense? Even it you've heard of more, that's more a reflection of the internet and media today and any exponential trend. 

And if I were six flags Id be insulted as to you implying their maintenance was sub par compared to Disneyland. You've got no idea what maintenance regimes they have. Would you say the same about Dreamworld?

To put Disney up as a poster for maintenance is laughable. Their lack of maintenance standards have killed people! Regardless of who was in charge of the company, that's irrelevant here. 

Factual Basis? As I said on maintenance - 'just not as pedantic' - example? Disney changes out lightbulbs in attractions and on structures when they reach 60% of their life expectancy, so that they don't blow 'in show'.

Yes they've had accidents. Big Thunder is a good one - a result of cost cutting under Eisner's business model where external contractors were being used to perform essential maintenance. I've read the accident report and it's findings state precisely that.

Haven't read into Cal Screamin, so I have no idea what happened there.

My statement on 'more and more injuries' wasn't fact, it was prediction. I didn't say there HAVE BEEN more and more injuries, i said it was going to START causing more and more.

Would I say the same of Dreamworld? You should know me well enough that i'm no fan of Dreamworld. Yes - I would say Dreamworld are not as pedantic as Disney. The last time I saw Revolution, it's white track was looking very akin to Orphan Rocker - black fading through grey to white from top to bottom. it looked filthy - And Matterhorn and Space are both older but with much \ all of the track indoors, the 'weathering' that revolution is showing is not apparent on those.

No - I don't know their maintenance procedures. I'm sure they're thorough. I'm sure they're up to the highest safety standards and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise...

I don't view 'maintenance' as JUST the physical mechanics of operation. I also view maintenance as - whether it has been allowed to LOOK run down, dirty, old, worn out and tired. THIS was what I meant:

http://coasterbuzz.com/CoasterPhoto/CoasterPhotoImage/1881

I apologise if i'd not made it clear that I was suggesting they didn't perform maintenance to a standard that would lead to people being killed (i'm pretty sure I specifically stated I wasn't critiquing safety). "second to none" was probably not the right phrase to use either.... hope that makes a little more sense.