Cairns Adventure Waters - 2016 opening. Construction begins.

keadz

Could you not ride most of the stuff at WnW/WWW where you splash down into runout chutes that are like 30cm deep, or splashdown pools that are about 1m deep?

I mean, by all means avoid the wave pool if you can't swim, but for the rest.....

http://cdn2.parkz.com.au/cache/photo/individual_photo/general/2008/03/0312-1968_Blackhole_parkz 145.JPG

To be honest, I'd never even looked at what's in water parks in terms of run off areas. I had mostly just assumed they all finished in larger pools rather than a track as such. Might consider checking them out next season when it's warmer.

@Alex there's a difference between him having an opinion and trying to force his opinion onto me

This is what you think means someone is forcing their opinion on you?

.....You do understand the means of the words you're using, right?

With all due respect, why are you basing current decisions on something that happened when you were 11? I mean, when I was 11 I wouldn't even go on the corkscrew at SW.  Water parks probably didnt have the same safety standards back then either....

Yay for Aussie World! Or I mean Adventure World, or....

All he said was that water parks probably have much safer guidelines and that you should give a water park another go because you were only 11 when you last went to one.

no he said I didn't know what I was talking about because I was basing current decisions on things that had happened to you in the past. So if you put your hands on the stove as a child and you got burned does that mean you don't know what you are doing because you are basing current decisions to not touch the stove based on what happened to you when you were a child. Sorry but crashing into others on a waterside has nothing to do with the age I was. My Mom was 35 that day and she crashed into me too

no he said I didn't know what I was talking about because I was basing current decisions on things that had happened to you in the past. So if you put your hands on the stove as a child and you got burned does that mean you don't know what you are doing because you are basing current decisions to not touch the stove based on what happened to you when you were a child. Sorry but crashing into others on a waterside has nothing to do with the age I was. My Mom was 35 that day and she crashed into me too

The point is that safety has evolved and waterparks are much different now then before. How long ago was it since you went to a water park???

You're the one going on about how much you hate water parks in a forum full of water park lovers mate.

Can you not separate your own personal experiences with what is popular with the majority? Is it really that hard to understand why water parks keep getting built here? They're cheap to build and run compared to a dry mechanical ride park, and Australians on the whole enjoy water activities. 

I don't believe he said you didn't know what you were talking about.... but i've quoted him above just to be sure...*checks* nope still don't believe he said that.

Anyone think we're getting a little of topic here?

Usually.

Ok - i've gone through to try and find what the fuck you are talking about.

I still can't find where he said you didn't know what you were talking about - but given what you're currently going on about - I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

So - for your convenience, i've quoted every single post Gazza and You have made in this thread. Please show me where he said you don't know what you're talking about. Please show me where he disrespected you, insulted you, or did anything but have a healthy inquisitiveness over your comments and viewpoints \ opinions...

With all due respect, why are you basing current decisions on something that happened when you were 11? I mean, when I was 11 I wouldn't even go on the corkscrew at SW.  Water parks probably didnt have the same safety standards back then either....

Yay for Aussie World! Or I mean Adventure World, or....

Could you not ride most of the stuff at WnW/WWW where you splash down into runout chutes that are like 30cm deep, or splashdown pools that are about 1m deep?

I mean, by all means avoid the wave pool if you can't swim, but for the rest.....

http://cdn2.parkz.com.au/cache/photo/individual_photo/general/2008/03/0312-1968_Blackhole_parkz 145.JPG

You're the one going on about how much you hate water parks in a forum full of water park lovers mate.

Can you not separate your own personal experiences with what is popular with the majority? Is it really that hard to understand why water parks keep getting built here? They're cheap to build and run compared to a dry mechanical ride park, and Australians on the whole enjoy water activities. 

So why did you ask the question? 

All he said was that water parks probably have much safer guidelines and that you should give a water park another go because you were only 11 when you last went to one.

Ugh. Another water park. Why is it always water parks being built and expanded on and theme parks and theme park rides get avoided like the black plague 

good point. It's just there are some people out there like me who absolutely hate waterparks with a passion and who are getting fed up of Australia focussing solely on water parks or water rides for expansion. It makes total sense for cairns though

my one and only visit to a water park was to Wet N wild on the gold coast. They allowed a father and his child to go down on a slide together and I ended up crashing into them. I was eleven at the time and my mother was coming down behind me and she ended up crashing there the back of me. My tailbone hurt for literally weeks. 

Then I thought I would try the wave pool and the life guard ended up having to help me out. 

I haven't been to a water park since

let's see you have a crash on a waterslide and have to be rescued by a life guard and see if you go rushing back to a waterpark. Just because you like waterparks doesnt mean others have to

I don't care what people "on the whole" enjoy or don't enjoy. I'm entitled to my own opinion 

because I didn't expect people to be rude and sarcastic in response 

@Alex there's a difference between him having an opinion and trying to force his opinion onto me

Next time actually quote the post I was referring to instead of deliberately posting the incorrect post.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting to see that a waterpark is incorporating a wristband system and let you enter for free.

Yeah, the way I read it was, you buy your tickets online and use the prepaid wristband for anything in the park.  You just don't have the option of paying for anything there in cash.  'Invisible ironic quote' marks, right?

Edited by iwerks

• 2 years later...

A STOP-START plan to open a $45 million theme park near Smithfield remains in play with its developer in deep negotiations with Chinese investors.

Adventure Waters proponent Paul Freebody launched a “sophisticated roadshow” across Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and China in October in hopes of drumming up support from potential financiers.

He has applied to Cairns Regional Council for a four-year extension to construction approvals to provide a “more assured time frame” to reassure investors the project will be allowed to go ahead.

One question that has come up is about the project coming up for renewal in May, so we want to deal with that before it becomes a problem,” Mr Freebody said.

“Our roadshow has proven most successful.

“We’re still not cracking the champagne corks yet but we are quietly confident of moving towards where we want to be.”

The project beside the Captain Cook Hwy was approved in 2009 after years of planning with construction finally starting in mid-2015.

It came to a halt later that year with tourism tycoon and Nautilus Aviation owner Chris Morris making a takeover bid

They look at that as a solid investment.

“They understand their clientele and customers because they are of the same group.”

He said the consortium behind the scheme had allowed for a 3 per cent escalation in costs over the past 18 months, which had been included in its budget.

Mr Freebody predicted it would still take a year-and-a-half to begin construction even if the finance stars quickly aligned themselves.

There is always going to be sceptics and the only way to silence them is to build it,” he said.

“A project of this size always takes seven to 10 years to get to the end.

“There are a lot of hurdles to go through – there are the objectors you need to deal with through the courts, which we’ve done.

“Now the economy and conditions are all very favourable for the park.

“If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2018 at 6:20 PM, jjuttp said:

WNWS did it in what? 4?

Are you taking into account that:

• They'd first bid on and attempted to convert Aussie World into a second WnW park - a process that ran several years
  • Where they eventually built was land already owned, adjacent to an existing 'attraction'
  • there wasn't much in the way of neighbours to object to the project

I think if you measured the timeframe from when the Aussie World project first commenced, you'd find the timeframes comparable.