Luna Park Sydney- Future rides and attractions

Jobe

Yeah - don't mind Yoshi. He never has a clue what he's talking about. I knew what you meant.

Whether by choice or not, my point is the venue brings people back. Your employer clearly liked the location. Others do too - one way or another that's increasing attendance for the park.

I never said you had to like it - and I totally appreciate you don't like the idea of the venue being there. I understand your position, and appreciate your views and understanding also.

Perhaps they COULD investigate how they could build over the top of BigTop without altering the current structure - kind of bridging over the top of it?

They'll never have enough land to build enough rides to keep it afloat on it's own - the several closures previous have proven that solely as an amusement park doesn't work.... (Nasty residents don't help either) and if we want at least a chance to see any of the ideas formulated above come to fruition - BigTop is sorely needed as a venue to keep bringing in the bucks.

• 1 month later...

In terms of compact coasters, my choices would be.

-Compact Eurofighter, similar to Iron Shark.

-S&S Free Spin similar to Batman at SF Fiesta Texas

-Premier Sky Rocket II similar to Tempesto at Busch

Must say that these are all fabulous suggestions, which I would be thrilled to see at the park! I would also like to add the GaleForce model, which seems like an imporvement on the skyrocket! Although I agree with what was mentioned above about not using the over the harbour areas for heritage disputes, I do think it would be a wonderful marketing point if they had a coaster with a vertical drop somehow be or look like it was over water.

The thing I love about Iron Shark is that it is not too wide. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but it seems to me from my experiences that many areas of Luna Park are very rectangular, meaning that coasters which aren't too wide are ideal. 

This may not be considered by the park, but I think a revamp of The Wild Mouse could be great too. It is arguably the most iconic element of the park so removal is not only out of the question but a little bit stupid, but if they could revamp it with new cars, new track and a slightly different layout, that would again be a fabulous marketing point. Cars like the Winjas one below would be wonderful in that hairpin section at the top of the hill, and they could add in maybe a small overbanked curve or another feature further along the track. I know that in essence what I have suggested it is a completely new attraction, but I think it would be a big plus for the park!

BTW does anyone know what the financial situation is like at the park?

Phantasialand_Winjas_Chaise.jpg

Edited by KingdaKa

A revamp of the wild mouse is defiantly a great idea, however someone correct me if I'm wrong, I do think its on the heritage list. Give it the Iron horse treatment xD

How stringent is that heritage listing? If they kept the complete fundamentals of the ride including the layout but simply got new cars, would that be OK? I actually think it would be well received by the public, as they would actually be improving the ride, whilst keeping the culture surrounding it.

I really liked Twister at Gronalund, it's a super compact woodie that is a lot fun and would fit in well at Luna Park. Gronalund are the absolute masters of cramming rides in though they are perhaps not as constrained by litigious, NIMBY neighbours.

That is very nice! And also seems very small scale. Personally I would prefer something a bit more thilling, but this may be better aimed at the Park's demographic.

How stringent is that heritage listing? If they kept the complete fundamentals of the ride including the layout but simply got new cars, would that be OK? I actually think it would be well received by the public, as they would actually be improving the ride, whilst keeping the culture surrounding it.

Its a nice idea but I think you will find that the heritage listing on The Wild Mouse would preclude the type of changes you are suggesting. It definitely would cover the track and structure although the cars themselves could possibly be revamped. However, i do not think you could intrinsically change the ride in the manner you have intimated.

Really, for what you are suggesting, you would be far better off constructing a new coaster type to complement the Wild Mouse. This would be the best scenario for the park. LPS desperately needs another coaster, its just a matter of room, will and vision as to what we could see installed to make this a reality.

That is very nice! And also seems very small scale. Personally I would prefer something a bit more thilling, but this may be better aimed at the Park's demographic.

You'd be surprised, Twister had some good airtime, and was a tight little coaster - I was really impressed, and I didn't expect to be. Honestly, I never hold my breath when it comes to Luna Park and new attractions.

Its a nice idea but I think you will find that the heritage listing on The Wild Mouse would preclude the type of changes you are suggesting. It definitely would cover the track and structure although the cars themselves could possibly be revamped. However, i do not think you could intrinsically change the ride in the manner you have intimated.

Really, for what you are suggesting, you would be far better off constructing a new coaster type to complement the Wild Mouse. This would be the best scenario for the park. LPS desperately needs another coaster, its just a matter of room, will and vision as to what we could see installed to make this a reality.

Yes I see. Why exactly is it heritage listed?

Yes I see. Why exactly is it heritage listed?

Its heritage listed because its one of the only types of its kind in the world, I'm not sure how many others their are but I know it about 5-6. And also the fact that it is REALLY old and has been in the park almost and maybe since opening day.

A log flume or water ride of some sort would be nice even if they refurbished the slides in the park to a water slide.

Do you mean the slides in Coney Island?

Its heritage listed because its one of the only types of its kind in the world, I'm not sure how many others their are but I know it about 5-6. And also the fact that it is REALLY old and has been in the park almost and maybe since opening day.

Do you mean the slides in Coney Island?

Ok I see :) I don't know if anyone has inside info, but is it more likely that a coaster would be built around Maloney's corner or up near Tumble Bug etc. Also is it expected a coaster will be involved in their 5 year plan?

I'm not sure how many people visit LPS often. I live in Brisbane but travel often for work, and have spent most of this year in Sydney. My nieces who live in Sydney and I have been passholders for LPS for the last 3 years.

It seems very apparent that there is something wrong with the Tango Train. Basically all this year it has either been not running, or running limited hours. When I quizzed the operators as to why this was, they mentioned they were carrying out continuous maintenance, but I'm not sure... going by what I've seen I think it is on its last legs.

I think we will see the Tango Train go fairly soon and also don't forget there is no ride yet in the former area where the Flying Saucer ride used to be. Who knows maybe they have that area marked for something new?

I would love to see a coaster where the old Big Dipper used to be, but it is quite a small space there I don't know what would fit. I also think they need to revamp the entire area at the back of Coney Island. It's OK during the school holidays when they have the travelling rides but otherwise it feels a bit empty. Apparently this is where the new haunted house is going to be.

I don't know how many of you visit LPS often, but I am always impressed by the staff at LPS, they are always so enthusiastic especially compared to the parks near home. Everything seems very well drilled and clean and tidy, it certainly doesn't seem like they're going out of business or anything, so based on  my observations they are obviously doing well. There doesn't appear to ever be any blatant cost cutting going on like you see elsewhere as every time I visit everything (except the Tango Train) is always open, all the games, there is always plenty of staff and entertainers out doing their thing. That's not the type of thing you see at a park going down the gurgler.

I'm not sure how many people visit LPS often. I live in Brisbane but travel often for work, and have spent most of this year in Sydney. My nieces who live in Sydney and I have been passholders for LPS for the last 3 years.

It seems very apparent that there is something wrong with the Tango Train. Basically all this year it has either been not running, or running limited hours. When I quizzed the operators as to why this was, they mentioned they were carrying out continuous maintenance, but I'm not sure... going by what I've seen I think it is on its last legs.

I think we will see the Tango Train go fairly soon and also don't forget there is no ride yet in the former area where the Flying Saucer ride used to be. Who knows maybe they have that area marked for something new?

I would love to see a coaster where the old Big Dipper used to be, but it is quite a small space there I don't know what would fit. I also think they need to revamp the entire area at the back of Coney Island. It's OK during the school holidays when they have the travelling rides but otherwise it feels a bit empty. Apparently this is where the new haunted house is going to be.

I don't know how many of you visit LPS often, but I am always impressed by the staff at LPS, they are always so enthusiastic especially compared to the parks near home. Everything seems very well drilled and clean and tidy, it certainly doesn't seem like they're going out of business or anything, so based on  my observations they are obviously doing well. There doesn't appear to ever be any blatant cost cutting going on like you see elsewhere as every time I visit everything (except the Tango Train) is always open, all the games, there is always plenty of staff and entertainers out doing their thing. That's not the type of thing you see at a park going down the gurgler.

I'm with you. If Luna Park had Wet n Wild Sydney's rides and Wet n Wild Sydney had Luna Park's rides, Luna Park would be one of the most popular parks and Wet n Wild would go broke instantly. The staff and vibe of the place is so friendly and accommodating. It's one of the mainr easons I'm so passionate.

I did some minor research about the size of Moloney's Corner, and it is actually almost the perfect size for Iron Shark. Iron Shark is 65/21/33 (L/W/H), and the main section of Moloney's battleaxe is almost exactly this size but a little wider. I think this shows the park truly does have space, especially given the Flying Saucer all the way to Tumble Bug corridor is much longer and is also free. 

A log flume or water ride of some sort would be nice even if they refurbished the slides in the park to a water slide.

Hate to burst your bubble - but the slides are part of Coney Island which is in itself heritage listed.

Also - how many people take swimmers to LPS? I realise there is a lap pool next door, but those who use that pool are not the type to be up for watersliding... plus - slides indoors - surrounding all the other coney island attractions that are going to get wet.... end result - you're either demolishing Coney Island, or you're leaving it the hell alone.

People this isn't Dreamworld - you can't just demolish stuff that doesn't appeal to you to build whatever the hell you want! The park is constrained by size, height, heritage listing, noise among others. Just because something 'will fit' doesn't mean it's suitable for the park.

I'm with you. If Luna Park had Wet n Wild Sydney's rides and Wet n Wild Sydney had Luna Park's rides, Luna Park would be one of the most popular parks and Wet n Wild would go broke instantly. The staff and vibe of the place is so friendly and accommodating. It's one of the mainr easons I'm so passionate.

And if your Aunty had balls, she'd be your uncle. LPS is a seaside amusement park. Wet N Wild is a water park. the two are unrelated. Let's move on.

I have noticed the tango train up for maintenance quite often actually. If they do get rid of it they'll probably sell it to the show circut anyways. It would be great to see an Iron Shark in Maloney's corner!

If Tango is in constant maintenance, and it becomes so bad, LPS has to get rid of it - what makes you think the show circuit would be interested in acquiring it?

As for Iron Shark - whilst I realise Galveston have installed a Euro Fighter into their "Historic" Park, I personally don't think it suits the park, and it certainly wouldn't fit the history and heritage of LPS. Cyclone suited because it was a "classic" coaster.... I'm not a fan of LPS obtaining something "ultra modern" unless it can be given a 'vintage look' like they have done with Hair Raiser (Hell - one of the points raised about HR during the review was that it used a coloured LED package instead of the 'classic incandescent bulbs'...)

No.

The jumbo like slides what Luna park has.

http://www.lunaparksydney.com/slides

Wow. Just wow. A little more research on your part is required. The slides that are currently in LPS and have been since 1935 are in Coney Island. IN Luna Park. There is NO WAY they could be converted to water slides nor is there a reason to do so. Terrible idea. Put it to bed now. Move on.

Ok I see :) I don't know if anyone has inside info, but is it more likely that a coaster would be built around Maloney's corner or up near Tumble Bug etc. Also is it expected a coaster will be involved in their 5 year plan?

Well those 2 places you mentioned are the only spaces of note within LPS and it would make logical sense that if a coaster was to appear then it would be in one of these 2 spaces...

There has been no solid indication whether a new coaster is  part of their future plans, they are all just idle speculation. One would hope that it will become a reality,of course.

What's so bad about the Wild Mouse to require such butchering of a classic ride? There are very few of them left so why the need to it. Surely they could be better off spending the money on a new attraction.

Absolutely 100% agree with this. The Wild Mouse is a classic attraction that does not require tinkering with or changing. Another terrible idea. 

I did some minor research about the size of Moloney's Corner, and it is actually almost the perfect size for Iron Shark. Iron Shark is 65/21/33 (L/W/H), and the main section of Moloney's battleaxe is almost exactly this size but a little wider. I think this shows the park truly does have space, especially given the Flying Saucer all the way to Tumble Bug corridor is much longer and is also free. 

I can definitely see a coaster like Iron Shark being installed into LPS. I have also been advocating the use of the corridor in between the Big Top and the Cliff face as a possible use for a coaster or attraction for a long time. Barring that,  moving the Tumblebug to the Flying Saucer site and using this space for a possible coaster seems like the best possible solution for mine. This would leave Maloney's corner free for flats and rotation of holiday rides.

Except underneath the Rotor. It looks like they haven't cleaned that up for a long time.

This may not be considered by the park, but I think a revamp of The Wild Mouse could be great too. It is arguably the most iconic element of the park so removal is not only out of the question but a little bit stupid, but if they could revamp it with new cars, new track and a slightly different layout, that would again be a fabulous marketing point. Cars like the Winjas one below would be wonderful in that hairpin section at the top of the hill, and they could add in maybe a small overbanked curve or another feature further along the track. I know that in essence what I have suggested it is a completely new attraction, but I think it would be a big plus for the park!

Without a doubt that is the most stupid idea I have ever seen on this community. Wild Mouse does not need to be touched, nor tinkered, nor butchered. 

The only thing I would like to see happen to Wild Mouse is to get the 3 cars off the transfer track and into operation.

Without a doubt that is the most stupid idea I have ever seen on this community.

Are you sure?

• Scooby Fire Eyes
  • Scooby cantilevered smoke releasing roof
  • Habitat Waterford
  • Buying MDMC
  • Installing Shockwave next to Claw
  • Closing PASS
  • Closing the Ski show
  • Closing Eureka
  • Installing vintage cars in a place nobody will ever find them
  • Deciding to do an Australia coaster trip, arriving in perth, and visiting Uluru - in Summer. (Sorry Richard!)
  • Overselling season passes to WnWS
  • Closing a NYE event 6 hours before it was supposed to start at WnWS
  • (everyone else - feel free to add more - we need to make sure Yoshi is fully informed)
  • edit: AndrewH's foray into Eureka Country, and then posting his exploits online, and then getting caught (ok thats probably 3 different dot points...)

Edited by AlexB
Forgot one of the stupidest ideas of them all

Yeah the whole winjas car thing for Wild Mouse is retarded. Spinning cars have a wider clearance envelope and are heavier, which is unfeasible on such a small old coaster where you can just about reach supports during the ride anyway.

Making the Coney Island slides water slides is retarded too. Isn't it all made out of timber and metal rather than fiberglass, thereby causing corrosion and rotting/swelling of the old wood.

Screenshot_2015-08-26-10-34-10.png

No.

The jumbo like slides what Luna park has.

http://www.lunaparksydney.com/slides

Those slides are inside coney island. You havent even been.